India's Mantra

Dhondy

Something very significant happened today. Yuvraj Singh hit form. If you read that in passing, you'll probably smile at the indulgence of another airhead Indian fan and wonder what all the fuss is about, but hey, it wasn't any Joe Average player, it was Yuvraj Singh. Yup. This player, when he hits the straps, is one of the four most dangerous ODI batsmen in the world, and certainly the most attractive of all to watch. And admire. There's no bally-hoo in Yuvraj's game. Just copybook cricket shots, and awesome power, borne of almost Swiss engineered timing. The injury cloud hanging over his head had almost neutralised one half of a partnership that may well define the World Cup. The partnership between MS Dhoni and Yuvraj Singh. If you were a bowler, there is no greater nightmare to haunt your dreams, no greater prospect of nerve dulling punishment, no bigger hammer-blow to your self respect than these two coming off in tandem. When they fire together, India demolish whatever, whoever is in front of them, like a heavy roller extinguishing a grasshopper. The rest of the batting line up isn't bad either. Tendulkar-Ganguly-Sehwag-Dravid-Yuvraj-Dhoni-Uthappa/Pathan...if you are a bowler, you might as well slit your entrails wide open with that Japanese knife right now. There's not a batting line up in the world that can hold a candle to that lot. On paper. In terms of cumulative runs, averages and strike rates. A bowling line up of Munaf-Zaheer-Agarkar-Sreesanth/Bhajji is not one to scoff at either. More than competent. Up there with the better ones. But wait, you didn't think you could escape the cliche, did you? Yup, that one. Cricket is not played on paper. Despite flaunting that very formidable XI, India may not even get to the semis. Remember their struggles against Holland in the last WC before the goings-on at home ignited their anger and passion? From now on, till the day they run out into that huddle for their first WC match, they should chant just one mantra to themselves. One mantra...two words.. Self belief...self belief...self belief.

Re: India's Mantra The maturer MSD has been quite impressive. The run chase in partnership with Drav the other day, did exactly what was needed- skillful accumulation and managed to maintain a good SR. No stupid unnecessary hoicks. A cricinfo verdict on the 4th ODI said Dhoni the batsman was a 'work in progress'...well the potential result of this WIP certainly is mouth watering.

Re: India's Mantra Felt very good when i read the OP, Dhondy. Yuvraj striking form is sweeet news. He appeared half fit on the field, shrinking his face (as if he was in pain), every time i saw him. He even dropped a simple catch in the death, which he would have taken with his eyes closed at his peak fitness. All this made me feel anxious, about Yuvraj's readiness for the world cup. But when i woke up in the morning & saw the score card, i saw some 95 off 91 balls. I couldnt believe what i saw. That moment i knew, India has taken a few steps forward in its march to the world cup. Yuvraj, Dhoni & Sachin are the key to our batting. I hope like Yuvraj always does, rides on the back of this form defining knock. We need him to carry on like a freak for the next 3 months. This is his beat chance to showcase his talent