Whats more instrumental in T20- batting or bowling?

DomainK

Though it looks like a purely batsman's game, I think ultimately the bowling abilities will make the difference. Batting requirements in T20 are more or less one dimensional. Fast scoring is the mantra. But bowling allows a lot of smartness. They need smart bowlers, not good bowers. An over or two without a boundary can put extreme pressure on the batters and would force false shots from them. Bottom line: batting in a T20 is relatively easier. But bowling is not everyone's cup of tea. Thats why I think the team with the smartest bowlers will win.

No one can say in a definite manner whether batting or bowling is more important. For example, we saw the other day how McCullum literally sealed the match in the first half with his blitzkrieg. In such cases, the other half of the match is literally redundant, almost 95% of the times. But something I have found about T20 cricket so far is the class of cricketers who make or break a match, be it in batting or bowling. As far as batsman are concerned, power-hitters and improvisers will be in most vogue. This isnt a game of solid defence or quick singles, but a game where your utility as a batsman will depend on whether you can hit the good balls for a boundary. So guys like Uthappa, McCullum, Gilchrist, Yuvraj, Misbah will add most value to their team. With regards to bowling, fast medium bowlers who bowl around speeds of 140 kmph and can swing it a bit will make maximum impact, coz the batsman is always trying to hit the chances of him missing are higher, the quicker the bowler is. So guys like Ishant, Steyn, Lee, Morkel etc will always value to their team.

In that list of players who add value, marirs, Uthappa apparently should not be there. I do agree, to a certain extent; after his matchwinning innings in that 6th odi in England, he has not been very good at improvisation - despite playing along with the likes of Sachin, Dhoni, etc. Here is what Cricinfo wrote about his innings for Mumbai: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ipl/content/story/347139.html He has surprisingly stopped his "walk down the track and club it over midwicket." It was actually pretty good.

In that list of players who add value' date=' marirs, Uthappa apparently should not be there. I do agree, to a certain extent; after his matchwinning innings in that 6th odi in England, he has not been very good at improvisation - despite playing along with the likes of Sachin, Dhoni, etc. Here is what Cricinfo wrote about his innings for Mumbai: [url']http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ipl/content/story/347139.html He has surprisingly stopped his "walk down the track and club it over midwicket." It was actually pretty good.
I think its not fair to upgrade or downgrade his value after a single innings. Lets not forget, in the series between Ind and Aus played in Ind last September, he was probably the ONLY Indian batsman who was able to take the attack to the opposition. IF Bombay had won the match, and they could have, given how close the match was, his innings wouldnt have raised so many questions. And the fact of the matter is, Uthappa has so far managed to upstage much bigger names like Dravid, Ganguly. His biggest strength is the fact that he is a powerful hitter + he can also improvise. That is a deadly combination in 20/20. My only grouse against Uthappa in the last match was his screwed up shot selection. The number of dot balls in his innings was too much, coz he tried too many cheeky shots and ended up missing many. If he had just tried hitting 'em as hard as he could, he would have scored a lot more.