What should the ICC do about replacements for the druggies ?

ICC should ask PCB to send them for a ICC drug test -- If they test positive, then bans should be imposed on the two & replacements should be permitted. (Like they allowed Shane Warne to be replaced last world cup) OR ICC should have their own doctors certify Akhtar & Asif as "injured" before replacements are permitted. Without either of the above, no replacements must be permitted.

Re: What should the ICC do about replacements for the druggies ? I think you make a very sound statement there Bumper. If these two were risked by PCB initially by naming them in the squad they should also be tested by ICC irrespective of whether they are included in the team anymore or not. Ideally all participating players should be test for drugs IMO.

Re: What should the ICC do about replacements for the druggies ? The ICC cannot recruit its own doctors and conduct tests! That is well beyond the realm of their jurisdiction. At the most, they can require a doctor's diagnosis of the players to verify their injuries. Since this could be easily obtained if the doctors are in the pockets of the PCB, the ICC cannot challenge that. That falls into the realm of the Medical society that issued the licenses to practice medicine for these doctors. At the most, if the ICC feels that it is not satisfied with the medical reports or feel that the injuries to the players are not extensive enough to warrant replacements, again very improbable, the ICC can deny replacements. Repeat, the most the ICC can do is request the doctor's diagnosis and pending that, can at best deny the request for replacements. Its all in the hands of the arbitration court in Geneva, thats the only authority now that may actually punish these dopeheads.

Re: What should the ICC do about replacements for the druggies ?

The ICC cannot recruit its own doctors and conduct tests! That is well beyond the realm of their jurisdiction. At the most, they can require a doctor's diagnosis of the players to verify their injuries. Since this could be easily obtained if the doctors are in the pockets of the PCB, the ICC cannot challenge that. That falls into the realm of the Medical society that issued the licenses to practice medicine for these doctors. At the most, if the ICC feels that it is not satisfied with the medical reports or feel that the injuries to the players are not extensive enough to warrant replacements, again very improbable, the ICC can deny replacements. Repeat, the most the ICC can do is request the doctor's diagnosis and pending that, can at best deny the request for replacements. Its all in the hands of the arbitration court in Geneva, thats the only authority now that may actually punish these dopeheads.
The entire world knows this was a well orchestrated, manipulative move by the PCB. They wanted to keep all options open, till the last minute and yet not risk any of their players. It'll be a shame, if PCB is allowed to get away with this thuggery. If PCB wants to fly in replacements, it must prove beyond doubt that the two being replaced are either injured or doped. ICC must not accept replacements until this is done.

The entire world knows this was a well orchestrated' date=' manipulative move by the PCB. They wanted to keep all options open, till the last minute and yet not risk any of their players[/quote'] If that was the case then wouldnt keeping things muffled as in "shut-the- fack-up-and-dont-tel-anyone-that-you-are-souped" have been a better option ... Nobody asked PCB to conduct those tests 5 months ago ... :shrug:
Do u really believe those tests were sincere ? ICC tests players randomly during major ICC events. If PCB had not revealed the results, they would have exposed the two to ICC. If ICC had caught them, given the lost love between the two, the druggies would have faced a multi year/career threatening bans. PCB realized it, saw the context of the tournament. "Hey CT was supposed to be a world cup preview anyways. I'll play good cop now and announce this sensational news to the world, ban them from CT & then do the needful to set my players free before the world cup". Taking short term losses for long term gains -- plain common sense. Sharyar Khan had issued statements in the past that he always suspected Akhtar of drug abuse. Hey wasnt he supposed to be the PCB chair ? WTH was he doing about it ?

Re: What should the ICC do about replacements for the druggies ? There are very few perfect crimes. :hic: I'd put down that lack of judgement from PCB at that time, to their inability to react well on panic. :hic: Another genuine possibility is that PCB infact, tried to be honest in the first place, but they succumbed to the pressure exerted by their local media & former players and decided to protect rather than punish the druggies.

Re: What should the ICC do about replacements for the druggies ? Bumps, I believe the ICC has asked to see the medical reports on these two. If they are from reputed doctors, say in London, I think the ICC will have to accept them at face value. It would be really interesting to find out if they've had MR scans on their injured areas, which is the normal procedure if you want to assess the extent of injury, particularly if a deadline is looming. You can feign an injury, even fool a doctor, but can't dupe the scanner.

Bumps, I believe the ICC has asked to see the medical reports on these two. If they are from reputed doctors, say in London, I think the ICC will have to accept them at face value. It would be really interesting to find out if they've had MR scans on their injured areas, which is the normal procedure if you want to assess the extent of injury, particularly if a deadline is looming. You can feign an injury, even fool a doctor, but can't dupe the scanner.
Thats true, you cannot fool an Magnetic Resolution Imaging machine. Unless of course the MRI scan belongs to someone else. While there are ways of easily identifying the individual from a scan of their knee cap and tibula, i doubt the ICC has some previously acquired MRI scans from the duo to perform a comparison.

Re: What should the ICC do about replacements for the druggies ? The MR scanner is not for identifying people, THX. It's for diagnosing injuries and disease. By not been able to fool a scanner, I meant that if there is no injury, the scan will be normal.

Re: What should the ICC do about replacements for the druggies ? My question is, why are the players tested for drugs only during WCs or CTs? Are tests and ODIs not under ICC? Every test and ODI is declared 'official' only if ICC recognises it. Then why can't the players be tested during a test series or an ODI match?

^Good points Chandan. Players must be subjected to these tests by a neutral body every series' date=' if thats not feasible, atleast every few months[/quote'] I'd say ICC should be able to test players whener it wants during any international series. There should be no stupid barriers that they'd be tested only during the so called ICC events. And apart from those those all the drug-takers can play in any test match or ODI!! This is simply stupid on ICC's part!

Re: What should the ICC do about replacements for the druggies ? Yup that's my call too MP. All it takes is few dollars off ICC and am sure a sporting body as big as this can afford it. If ICC had these in place few years ago we would not have seen the current day shamble. These instances are hurting the sport.

My question is' date=' why are the players tested for drugs only during WCs or CTs? Are tests and ODIs not under ICC? Every test and ODI is declared 'official' only if ICC recognises it. Then why can't the players be tested during a test series or an ODI match?[/quote'] Maybe bcos, at the time when the rule was made,cricket was still a drug free sport. It was totally unwarranted to check each and every player and they were probably hoping that getting caught in the random searches would be such a ignominy that the "gentlemen" would never even try it. Clearly they overlooked Pakistan. Just like the ball is checked for tampering ever over today as opposed to the non-checking in the 90s in the waqar-imran era, drug testing will become mandatory for every player in every series. We can always thank Pakistan for changes like these.