Some Sobering words for Gavaskar

By Jon Pierik and Robert Craddock March 21, 2007 TEST legend Garfield Sobers last night delivered a veiled swipe at Sunil Gavaskar by claiming Australia had no reason to apologise for its on-field behaviour. The provocative Indian former opener Gavaskar enraged the Australia players last week when he declared their conduct was unacceptable and, if they acted the way they did on the field in a bar after play, then they would probably be bashed. Gavaskar went a step too far by linking the death of former cricketer David Hookes to the behaviour of Australian teams led by Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting. Gavaskar admitted as much yesterday, saying his comments on Hookes were "uncalled for and inappropriate" but he did not back away from his claim the Australian team would be more admired if it curbed its behaviour in matches. "On live television and radio, sometimes you respond on the spur of the moment with a remark that can cause hurt and pain to others," Gavaskar said. "I realise and I accept that what I said was uncalled for and inappropriate." Sobers, the former all-rounder who was selected as one of five Wisden cricketers of the 20th century, defended the Australians. "Australia has always played cricket like the West Indians," Sobers said. "I always enjoyed playing in Australia because the Australians are a team that tried to play the game attractive, tried to win - not at all costs - but tried to win. "That is a great attitude to have. You learn when you play Australia, there is a toughness about the Australians." Sobers enchanted fans all over the world with his elegant yet powerful batting, and remarkable versatility with the ball. He could bowl left-arm orthodox and wrist spin, as well as take the new ball and become a fast-medium strike weapon. In 93 Tests between 1954-74, he made 8032 runs at 57.78 (including a then world-record score of 365 against Pakistan), and took 235 wickets at 34.03. Sobers, 70, was always a crowd favourite in Australia in the days when tour fees barely covered a few beers at the bar after play. He understands why there is a far more ruthless edge to the game in the modern age, a style that Australia has embraced but which has opened it up to criticism by Gavaskar. "The game changed tremendously in the 70s, and even before that," Sobers said. "The West Indies played the game because they loved it, there was no kind of monetary funds really involved as far as that was concerned. It was sheer love and enjoyment and we went out there and played the game. "Today is different. Today there is a lot of money involved in the game. Players are paid quite well and they are more professional than when we were playing. They used to call us in those days 'chamateurs' because we really didn't get paid to play cricket." Sobers felt the pressures of the modern game also meant a more hardened attitude was required. "The incentive in those days was travelling," he said. "To travel and see places like Australia, New Zealand, England and Pakistan and those places you wouldn't have seen otherwise. So it was quite different. One could understand the different approach these days because there is a lot of responsibility. "People expect so much more these days than they did then." Sobers was also the first man to blast six sixes in the same over, his feat coming off the bowling of Malcolm Nash while playing for county side Nottinghamshire against Glamorgan in 1968. He was in St Kitts yesterday to congratulate South African Herschelle Gibbs for replicating that deed in the World Cup match against The Netherlands. Sobers also had words of encouragement for Australian all-rounder Shane Watson. "He's useful ... I like him and I think he will improve," Sobers said.

Re: Some Sobering words for Gavaskar This is another extreme. Gavaskar's comments were pretty extreme I agree but this one is way too extreme too. Now you should hear to what Viv Richards would say on this on, he doesn't like them either. In his autobiography he mentioned he was happy to take them on physically and if he played cricket against someone like McGrath he would have been handled physically. :shrug:

Re: Some Sobering words for Gavaskar

if he played cricket against someone like McGrath he would have been handled physically. :shrug:
Jeeeez! Imagine Viv Richards, Clive Lloyd and co. getting medieval on his a$$!!! :eek:

Re: Some Sobering words for Gavaskar Players are getting paid more these days, the game has changed, people expect more these days and hence they are allowed to abuse other players on the field. I can see the clear link there. :lmao:

Re: Some Sobering words for Gavaskar Sobers may be a great cricketer...but he is getting a bit senile in his dottage... Yes Richie Benaud was a great captain as was Frank Worrell and played hard...but played fair (though you could never say that about Aussie umpires)... but Ian Chappell onwards... Aussies have revealed a very ugly streak and they are very, very FOUL mouthed.. Sledging is all right as long as it is more than just FACK OF YOU FACKING.... FACKER.... THat sort of F bomb loaded intimidation is what Gavaskar is CORRECTLY questioning...