Rohit Sharma run-riot at CCI 20/20

Rohit Sharma run-riot at CCI April 04, 2007 Rohit Sharma smashed an unbeaten century to lead Mumbai to a comprehensive five-wicket victory over Gujarat in the West Zone Twenty20 tournament at the Cricket Club of India in Mumbai on Wednesday. The 19-year-old started his innings with a huge six over mid-wicket, off pacer Ishwar Chaudhary, that shattered the windowpane of the Cricket Club of India's 'Wet Wicket' bar. He continued to belt the Gujarat bowlers all around the park as he powered his way to a blazing 101 in Mumbai's total of 145 for five. Sharma hit 13 boundaries and five sixes in his 49-ball knock, including a boundary off the last ball to get to his hundred. "I feels great to get to a century," said Sharma. Mumbai were in trouble at 67 for four when Sharma came in to bat, but he counter attacked in fine style to lead the Ranji Trophy champions to a crushing win. Earlier, Gujarat's Jai Desai scored an unbeaten 51 off 34 balls with seven boundaries as Gujarat posted 141 for 6 in their 50 overs. Scores: Gujarat 141 for 6 in 20 overs (Jai Desai 51 not out, V Solanki 31, B Thakkar 25; A Salvi 3 for 28) lost to Mumbai 145 for 5 in 17.3 overs (Rohit Sharma not out 101; Siddharth Trivedi 2 for 22).

Re: Rohit Sharma run-riot at CCI 20/20

Mumbai were in trouble at 67 for four when Sharma came in to bat, but he counter attacked in fine style to lead the Ranji Trophy champions to a crushing win.
huh???? he scored 101 out of 145 total.... still they were 67 for 4, when he came in??

Mumbai were in trouble at 67 for four when Sharma came in to bat' date=' but he counter attacked in fine style to lead the Ranji Trophy champions to a crushing win. [/quote'] huh???? he scored 101 out of 145 total.... still they were 67 for 4, when he came in??
haha maybe he came in early

Re: Rohit Sharma run-riot at CCI 20/20 this guy is a good talent. he's one of those lefties who bats right handed, just like SRT. (HEEHEE, i was flamed by bidi on last forum for knowing this fact). a couple more seasons, this guy and tiwari will be our battiong backbone, methinks. as a mumbaikar, lemme just say: "rohitbhau, gheoon taak, tichaila.... aai shappat."

Re: Rohit Sharma run-riot at CCI 20/20 thanks for the insight, Rahul..... u think, he is not one of those who will hang his bat outside off on seaming tracks? if so, then excellent news... i have seen Tiwary's innings in the finals and i am convinced, he will be the backbone for sure.... u have any news on Rao... i still have huge expectations for him... is he even in the selection radar?

Re: Rohit Sharma run-riot at CCI 20/20 ^^ YVR is defy on the radar--he barely missed out during the selecxtion for the saffie tour--TWO of the selectors preferred him over the back-from-tennis-elbow-SRT, who was rightly ridiculed by GC. he sucked. matter of fact, GC's notes have very good things to say abt YVR as "leadership mtrl" and as a guy who has a "basic compactness to his game i havent since my playing years".

matter of fact, GC's notes have very good things to say abt YVR as "leadership mtrl" and as a guy who has a "basic compactness to his game i havent since my playing years".
i got to agree with Greggie's views here.... i have never seen anyone with as much potential that i saw in Rao.... this guy has brilliant hands and has so much time on his handds to play a stroke... very bad luck at the beginning of his career and hopefully, he comes back strong....

Re: Rohit Sharma run-riot at CCI 20/20 Venugopal Rao looked a good bat, he looked pretty assured outside the off stump. Wonder why he didn't get a long run though? As for Rohit Sharma, I would wait for a year more to see how he goes. Are there no consistent performers in the domestic circuit that have played for few years atleast?

Mumbai were in trouble at 67 for four when Sharma came in to bat' date=' but he counter attacked in fine style to lead the Ranji Trophy champions to a crushing win. [/quote'] huh???? he scored 101 out of 145 total.... still they were 67 for 4, when he came in??
Fantastic eye!!! :wtg: I think this lad is really talented. We must give him chance in the coming ODIs. He has spent 1 year in the domestic cricket. Don't want him to lose his spark and rot here for more than this.

Don't want him to lose his spark and rot here for more than this.
tht is a double-edged sword, Chands... people in subcontinent lose their way, when they are given chances too early, and at the same time, they are totally forgotten, when they are not given the right breaks at the right time.... muzumdar, he had the heart of a champ and the skills too, was left to rot.... while pathan and raina, i feel, were given a chance a year too early..... though, they met with initial success, their game and mind was not fully developed to handle setbacks in form and pressure of expectations....

Re: Rohit Sharma run-riot at CCI 20/20 I've been watching Rohit Sharma since more than a year now, when he played for U-19. Since then, I think he has kept on improving and time is ripe to introduce him international cricket. Its not like Raina who was brought in without having played a single FC game! This fellow has spent one year, playing the FC cricket, has played in India A tours and I think is ready. The only doubt I have over him is whether he'll be able to counter short-pitch stuff or not. But we'll never know that till he keeps playing in this rotting domestic cricket! And if some fundamental changes have to be brought to his technique, time is now.

Re: Rohit Sharma run-riot at CCI 20/20 u may have a point there, chands.... prolly, if after april 6th, there is going to be a huge revamp in the team for the bangles series, he should be a prime candidate for a berth.... infact, even otherwise, these youngsters should get eased in gradually into the international arena with series against minnows...

Re: Rohit Sharma run-riot at CCI 20/20 Well, I am not at all against his inclusion or any young blood , doesn't matter even if they are flat track bullies...it's worth trying them at the moment, and Bonglistan series is a great occasion for this! But problem is ...Bhengsarkar ke bheje mein yeh baat ghusegi tab na