Golden Oldies- The Big Bands- Why Did They Break Up?

Dhondy

As a child of the 70s and early 80s, I grew up with the soulful music of ABBA- what a band they were! The cosy foursome, Anna-Frid, and her partner, Benny, the bearded Bjorn, and his wife, the beautiful and melodious Agnetha. Just listening to "Can you hear the drums, Fernando" as twilight descended sent shivers down my spine. Mamma Mia...Take a Chance on Me..Dancing queen...all fabulous numbers! It was so disappointing to see them break up- the couples divorced and simply fell out with each other. It was the end of the most fabulous band- for I have never been able to see why the the Beatles were as famous as they were...even their best work such as "Here Comes the Sun" leaves me completely underwhelmed. Those who followed them, can you tell me, was it Lennon's demise that ended the group, or had they already broken up before that? The other group- it was actually a brother sister combo, I found really sweet was "The Carpenters". I borrowed an album from my brother-in-law, who's a few years older than me, and heard it out, and was entranced. Anybody who has listened to the nostalgic "Rainy days and Mondays", "We've Only just Begun", and "It's Going to Take Some Time" will know what I mean. Again, the partnership made in heaven ended when Karen fell ill. What a shame! There have been others- Mammas and Papas, Boney-M, The Beautiful South, the instrumentalists "The Ventures" and "The Shadows"- all those faraway, lovely, lilting bands that shaped my growing up as I listened to them on my father's ageing turntable while falling asleep, where did they go? Why did they break up? Why did the magic have to come to an end? I wish I knew. I wish I could reach back into the abyss of time and somehow pull them back from the sepia tinted frames of memory, and ask them to make their hauntingly beautiful music just for me.

Re: Golden Oldies- The Big Bands- Why Did They Break Up? >>Those who followed them, can you tell me, was it Lennon's demise that ended the group, or had they already broken up before that? Never followed them per se, but Im sure they split up a good while before Lennon was killed. Cant say Im familiar with ANY of the bands you've listed up there, but musical tastes change and all with time...I think Melvyn Bragg said- sometimes the best bands meet, do what they have to do and split up Its interesting that you've brought this up though. Theres a whole spate of bands reforming. Genesis (without Gabriel), The Police, Jesus and Mary Chain (great band), James of 'SIT DOWN SIT DOWN SIT DOWN SIT DOWN SIT DOWN' fame Best of all though Rage Agst The Machine! Theres even rumours that the Stone Roses will reform. Dont know if youve heard them/of them- MAGIC. Truly great band. I hope they don't get together because they will never equal their best moments.

Re: Golden Oldies- The Big Bands- Why Did They Break Up? BEST OF ALLLLL THOUGH!!! 5ive have reformed!!! IF YA GETTTIN DOWN BABYYY TAKE THAT have reformed- REEEEELIIGHT MY FIIIRE!!!! As a child of the ...errm... 90's ...I grew up on cheesy boy band pop... Boyzone rule. --------------- On a SIDE note Im really getting into some late 80's early 90's ish alternative stuff at the moment Including- The Black Crowes- very good, Janes Addiction- very good, Faith No More- QUALITY. Amongst others. WHERE I ask have these guys been ALLL my life...???????

Re: Golden Oldies- The Big Bands- Why Did They Break Up?

As a child of the 70s and early 80s, I grew up with the soulful music all those faraway, lovely, lilting bands that shaped my growing up as I listened to them Why did they break up? Why did the magic have to come to an end? I wish I knew. I wish I could reach back into the abyss of time and somehow pull them back from the sepia tinted frames of memory, and ask them to make their hauntingly beautiful music just for me.
Never too late Doc. If you are a vinylphile, or if you like your music 'clean', buy yourself a good system. SHops like www.cymbiosis.com may catch your fancy.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Golden Oldies- The Big Bands- Why Did They Break Up? see when u guys initiate topic like this I can't help feeling like an idiot. :ditto: and I am with me only home alone.

It was so disappointing to see them break up- the couples divorced and simply fell out with each other. It was the end of the most fabulous band- for I have never been able to see why the the Beatles were as famous as they were...even their best work such as "Here Comes the Sun" leaves me completely underwhelmed. Those who followed them, can you tell me, was it Lennon's demise that ended the group, or had they already broken up before that?
Amongst other reasons Yoko Ono also stands out for "breaking-up" the Beatles. I am with you about the unsolved puzzle of why Beatles was more popular than Abba. Or for that matter why even Elvis Priestley or Rolling Stones were more popular than Abba. The only reason I have come up with is that Abba made melodious song, not very different to what we are used to as Indian. Much before I understood the meaning of "Hasta Manna till we meet again" I simply loved the lilting beat. Same with any of the Abba's song really. They are soulful, melodious and yet still fast and peppy. Not very different from what a RD Burman was capable of churning out. On the other hand in the West it is not only the music but also the lyrics. The more rebellious you are the better is the chance to success, as you may witness with the success of rock over pop. Or in recent times rock and rap over pop. Most Westerners I know almost scoff at pop as "girly music" or kiddy stuff. Amongst the group the broke up, and I wish they had not, I would include Wham! George Miachel and Andrew R. went their seperate ways and even though George Michael was a bigger hit than Wham! he could not churn out a Last Christmas or Careless Whispers. The group that has somehow survived is U2. xxxx

my dad used to listen to a lot of abba and boneyM... i still listen to and love Beatles.... carpenters' date= i find them too cheesy....
Oh dear...you make me feel very old indeed, Gator! Yup, U2, the Irish group, Lurker. I think they still make music.

Re: Golden Oldies- The Big Bands- Why Did They Break Up? The other great Irish band of course, were the Pogues, derived from the phrase "Pogue Mahon", which in gaelic means, "Kiss my ass". Every song is littered with four letter words, and sung when completely sozzled. There's not a sober man out there, from the singers to the drummers. And despite that, they sold millions of albums. Or perhaps because of it.

Re: Golden Oldies- The Big Bands- Why Did They Break Up? Must say never heard of Pogue Mahon. U2 is nice. I am a fan of their former works, not the latter. Speaking of groups of yore, I loved Dire Straits(for the guitar). Then there were many European bands that came and faded away - Duran Duran, AHa, Europe etc

Re: Golden Oldies- The Big Bands- Why Did They Break Up? Personally, one reason i think Abba were not very successful is because they were not as closely associated with the hippie movement as the Beatles or Rolling Stones were. Its also that in western pop music, the ABBA style is looked less favourably upon, simply because that type of lilting and melodious artists tend to be repetitive and boring (though ABBA definately were top class).

Re: Golden Oldies- The Big Bands- Why Did They Break Up? "Hasta Manana" means "Until tomorrow", but roughly used as "See you tomorrow". It was my mom's fav ABBA song. Geez, you DO sound old Dhondy. My fav ABBA song remains Dance while the music still goes on, followed closely by Honey Honey. I looove the Carpenters. Karen Carpenter had one incredible voice - songs like Please Mr. Postman, Only Yesterday, Solitaire and Happy were superb. Happy is probably my pick among these. The Ventures and The Shadows - my dad still talks fondly about how the two groups were both instrumentalists, yet so different. How heavy the Ventures started to become with every album and how soulful the Shadows' guitar was. The only Ventures song I remember is Here Comes the Judge. The Shadows, of course, were superb and I love their "Return to the Alamo", which was ridiculously copied note-to-note by Anand-Milind for the song "Akele Hain" in Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak. Anyone heard Roberto Delgado ? Nice OP, brought back a few memories.

Re: Golden Oldies- The Big Bands- Why Did They Break Up? Thanks for sharing the memories, guys. Those were the bands of course. Then there were some incredibly moving numbers by a few individuals I put on again and again, and they refresh me after a long day, or fill me with verve as I am about to go out for one. Hands up who hasn't heard Marvin Gaye and Kim Weston's "It Takes Two Baby?" What incredible energy and joy in that duet! Then, Jimmy Cliff's "I Can See Clearly Now", the theme song from the film "Cool Runnings"...oh boy, such gentle, rolling lines...they wash away the fatigue from you and make you believe anything is possible. Just believe. And if you really need an energy fix, how about George Baker's "Yuma Paloma Blanca?" Still remember the huge lift the song used to give me in my school days. And, while out on a business trip, missing you dear wife, listen to Andy Williams croon in his unmatchable dulcet tones, "I am a Home Loving Man", as he tells the tale of the seafarer who can see the green green shores of home. Absolute magic! For a naughty, naughty time, listen to Cliff Richards' own story "Bachelor Boy." Careful though, you'll wish you never got hitched, Sir Cliff has so much fun singin' it! Finally, just as you are worn out, and ready for bed, put on Stevie Wonder's incredibly nostalgic "Yester-me, Yester-you, Yester-day", and let him lull you to sleep, reminiscing about the good ole days and the lost loves, and what could have been.