Important - please vote here.

gator

Re: Important - please vote here.

And no, country does not take precedence over religion or culture to most people.
Not according to this poll !
And who voted: The majority who hammers muslims all the time and thinks Indian country as a birth right of Hindus!
Wrong Logic. If that was the case, they would have voted religion first and the polls would have shown a different result.
Ouch! :hmph:

Re: Important - please vote here. I am still intrigued by how there are 9 votes for Culture/Religion/Language. I would want to know the logic behind this school of thought. More importantly what was the vote for - language or religion or culture? The three are mutually exclusive identities really. Would be nice if people could explain their point of view on this one.

And no, country does not take precedence over religion or culture to most people.
And who voted: The majority who hammers muslims all the time and thinks Indian country as a birth right of Hindus!
And you know that how ? BTW the so called Ummah bashers (i.e myself Dada et.al) have offered to debate you many times and every time you run away for some reason .... If you are not interested in debating that is fine but dont make one sided parting comments and vanish in typical hit and run tactics ..... I can very well do the same but I prefer to deal with facts uncomfortable or not. Any doubts you got about my views please ask and I will give you a absolute straight answer .... So ask-away to your hearts content. Else shut up. And if you prefer to do it over email (privately) thats fine too.
Well looks like you got too excited reading it and your hair is on fire or something. Take it easy pal... Debates becomes useful only if they seek to unveil the truth. Hindutvawadis like you are going to produce a medley of arguments that widens the dangerous fascism the one that is secular repression and communal through your postings. And you want to make such a debate a molecular permeation of the doctrine of hatred against muslims by writing all rubbish. Slowly the debate is constructed in such a way that it consolidates the upper caste Hindus who are active in these forums to rally with you. I'm not going invest my energy and time for such a futile exercise. Thanks for your offer but it's just not worth it my friend!

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Important - please vote here. country always .. there is no point askng this q to comunazis.. for them u sud add anoher option of china (Political father-land)

Wrong Logic. If that was the case, they would have voted religion first and the polls would have shown a different result.
hahahaha..... one more dart on ur bottom.... CC man, u r really embarrasing urself....
Dude, can you even read ? KR is responding to a coment from HC, not from me. :wall:

Re: Important - please vote here. Not really- i have already explained why and what the fallacies of this 'poll' is. If you want to prove me right/wrong, you should be conducting the poll in a site that has most of the membership residing in India at the very least. Needless to say, your competence in guaging what is and what is not a relevant poll is appalling. By conducting a poll here, all you are establishing is the opinion of NRIs- which is rather irrelevant when you want to prove/disprove what the general inclinations in India today are. Are you a compsci guy as well ?

Because it is not the number 1 thing for most people - atleast, people who put nationalism over anything else are almost insignificant in numbers compared to people who put language/culture/race/religion first.
this was ur original quote... where did u mention that it holds true only for people residing in india..... i have got ur number, u can never slip from me.... now tell me, who is ur papa...

this was ur original quote... where did u mention that it holds true only for people residing in india..... i have got ur number, u can never slip from me.... now tell me, who is ur papa...
It is a given that when i made such a comment, you would want to verify it amongst native citizens as a guage- not immigrants. Immigrants are always more nationalistic than non-immigrants on average- simply because of homesickness/tendency to get isolated. Now before you go around slapping your own back in false congratulations, i'd expect you to know atleast these basic concepts. If you want to verify something, the first thing you have to do is make sure the source of your verification is a credible one- logically and ethically. Your poll here in a predominantly NRI website may fulfill the latter criteria but it certainly does not fulfill the former. So yes, a poll here on how opinions in India are is largely meaningless. Now if it were in Sulekha, it'd have far more credibility. Never seen CNN/Gallup conducting a poll about American society and asking mostly Americans who live overseas to comment about how stuff are in the US. But i guess such nuances are beyond people who don't stop to think and are too concerned about being daddies and granddaddies in messageboard arguments. :wtg: :wall:

Re: Important - please vote here. CC1981 I am 100% sure, majority of Indians residing in India (me included) consider NATION first. All it takes is a Paki radical to pump up and bring out Nationalist sentiments out of an Indian. Last time when we felt that NATION is above all was during kargil War, during attack on our parliament and also after Mumbai train blasts. No need of any further arguements with armchair critic like you....you may be well educated in west and lived your life in a developed country.....but definately you lack something...and that something is the pride of Motherland above all. It's your personal problem nothing else.

All it takes is a pakistani radical to pump up and bring out Nationalist sentiments out of an Indian.
Dude, that is not really nationalism-that is knee jerk nationalism. Obviously, everyone on this world will engage in a bit of chest-thumping if someone makes a slight of their nation- even here in Canada, when Yankee teams visit our Hockey arenas, there are Canadian chest-thumpers around. How much nation matters is not to be tested under the idea of provocation but in everyday life- and if you are telling me that the average Indian puts national identity first over their cultural/religious/materialist identities in the average walk of life, i think you are mistaken. As per pride in motherland- pffft. I am quite proud of my Indian heritage/history. Its not that i don't care for India the nation today- but i am not too bothered with Indian nation - its doomed anyways. India will cease to exist unfortunately in my lifetime. But then again, India rarely existed as one nation in history as it is. My identity is with the people and their culture, not some triangular landmass with a turban resemblance. Nationalism implies love of the land - i don't have that. Tomorrow if all of India moved to Siberia, my India would be Siberia and the land of sapta-sindhu would become utterly meaningless - or atleast, no more meaningful than some obscure patch of land in Brazil or equitorial rainforest Papua New Guinea. Hence i am not a nationalist.

Re: Important - please vote here. Language/culture/religion cannot all be one option Im not sure many care THAT much about language in the first place. It (and culture) are both defined by the country you're in anyway...all of us as Indians have the same culture (or VERY similar anyway) and a lot of us speak the same language... (But then languages are defined by the state you're in- so whats that essentially State vs Country...??) so it comes down to religion or country- which lets face it, is what you really want to know...

Im not sure many care THAT much about language in the first place.
How can you not care about language ? Sure, its all fine and dandy to say that from a bilingual perspective which no doubt you are- but for most people in India who speak only one language, do you really think that they dont' value their language or find affinity inside their language group ? Hell, language is the basis of communication. And in India's case, the nation is not defined by a single culture but many various cultures all encompassed into one. In many ways, India is what you get if you formed a single nation out of all the European nations. A Naga has about as much in common with a Tamil as an Irish with Greek. Similar, yet very very different. In many cases, some cultures in India are closer to cultures outside of india than inside india ( sikkim with bhutan and tibet, the north-eastern states and bangladesh/burma, lakshwadeep and maldives, etc etc). The nation of India was created to preserve the subcontinental cultures and religions. Not a nation built out of nationalistic conquest such as Britain,ancient Rome or Imperial Germany (ie,nationhood involving conquest and a nationalist flavour). This alone proves that India the super-culture must rank ahead of India the geo-political entity (ie, nation). History is a great teacher in my opinion and our history teaches us that all our accomplishments - cultural,scientific and religious/philosophical- was not due to our nationalism. For the subcontinent has rarely been under one massive empire. This alone proves that nationalism has never been a big driving force in Indian history (compare this with nationalistic empires such as Rome- where Rome is overglorified and every policy stems from nationalism towards Rome and more broadly, the Latin league). This also shows that the argument that our culture would disintegrate without one singular nation-entity is false. And in reality,i expect India to break up again(though i hope i am wrong)- with the global warming and the Ganga-Yamuna drying up in less than 50 years from now, you can only imagine what kind of anarchy would reign in India. Not to mention, over 50 years of neglect of the north-eastern states sees insurgency and seperatism rife in the North-Eastern states. And this is a region where you cannot blame islamic terrorists for hell breaking loose. Sure, there are some Maoist elements there that are backed by China/Burma but the problems in the North-East are largely Delhi's own making. And i am not too concerned about that either - for history shows that our culture will not only survive, it will thrive with or without one Indian political entity.

As per pride in motherland- pffft. I am quite proud of my Indian heritage/history. Its not that i don't care for India the nation today- but i am not too bothered with Indian nation - its doomed anyways. India will cease to exist unfortunately in my lifetime.
WOW. You seriously believe that India will perish within the next 50 years or so ? :eek:

Re: Important - please vote here. Two words : global warming. With gangotri-jamnotri receeding at an astounding rate and water table across the country falling due to unsustainable usage ( due to overpopulation), its just a matter of time before India utterly collapses. Hell, China would collapse too and it'd be the end of civilization as we know it. Not to mention, if Delhi doesn't clean up its act drastically, its just a matter of time before the Seven Sister states break away - either through violence or through referendum.

Two words : global warming. With gangotri-jamnotri receeding at an astounding rate and water table across the country falling due to unsustainable usage ( due to overpopulation), its just a matter of time before India utterly collapses. Hell, China would collapse too and it'd be the end of civilization as we know it. Not to mention, if Delhi doesn't clean up its act drastically, its just a matter of time before the Seven Sister states break away - either through violence or through referendum.
Three words: You are disturbed Four more words: Take a chill pill Another four: You have no clue Lastly: Relax for your own good

Three words: You are disturbed Four more words: Take a chill pill Another four: You have no clue Lastly: Relax for your own good
I take it this is yet another topic where you got your head firmly buried in your posterior. For if it were not so, you'd have presented atleast some credible counters instead of sounding like an old phart from the 60s denying global warming.