Cairns, Astle approached for Indian Cricket League

King

New Zealand's retired Test stars Chris Cairns and Nathan Astle have been approached for playing in the Indian Cricket League (ICL), according to media reports. More... Cairns, Astle approached for Indian Cricket League PTI MELBOURNE, June 24: New Zealand's retired Test stars Chris Cairns and Nathan Astle have been approached for playing in the Indian Cricket League (ICL), according to media reports. The Dominion Post quoted New Zealand Players' Association chief Heath Mills as saying that the players have been contacted by the organisers of the league, scheduled for October this year after the Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa. "I have been aware of the concept for some time through my involvement on the FICA (international players' association) board," Mills said. Cairns, who retired from Test cricket in 2004, bid adieu to One-day cricket in 2006. Astle, on the hand, gave up international cricket six months before the recent World Cup, citing lack of motivation. The NZPA chief, meanwhile, rubbished speculation that current players like Shane Bond were being lured for the tournament. "Some players here have been contacted but the event concerned is not focused on current players - at this stage they are more interested in players who are recently retired," he said. But he admitted that even the contracted players could be attracted by the prospects of playing in the league because of the huge money on offer. "...if the event has got legs it wouldn't surprise me if some current players were interested in participating in it," he said. The ICL will comprise six teams coached by former cricketers and will be played on a Twenty20 format. The NZPA has already given a thumbs up to the proposed tournament but has admitted that ICC approval was a must before getting current players on board. "This is not over the line yet but from the players' point of view it would be great, because I see it as not dissimilar to them playing for other third parties like counties and league teams in England." "The key thing is whether it is sanctioned by the ICC and New Zealand Cricket and I know that is the intention of the organisers but it hasn't got that yet," Mills said.

I think this ICL is going to end up in a farce. Astle and Cairns gave up cricket because their bodies and mind couldn't cope with playing cricket anymore and now they are being roped in by ICL. We will have guys like Astle, Cairns, Warnie, Lara, McGrath and the rest playing a competitive less cricket with few domestic cricketers in India. It will help the young ones to share dressing room with these legends but won't help the cricket on show.