India series 'buries' Ashes

King

GEOFF Lawson says his first Test series as Pakistan cricket coach will carry the significance of 10 Ashes battles. More... India series 'buries' Ashes By Chris Wilson August 05, 2007 GEOFF Lawson says his first Test series as Pakistan cricket coach will carry the significance of 10 Ashes battles. Lawson is looking forward to Australia's first tour of Pakistan in almost 10 years, next March. But the former Test quick says his first major test at the helm of Pakistan will be the tour of neighbouring India in November-December this year. The two nations, which line their joint borders with troops, have one of the uneasiest relationships in global politics. "The biggest series of the decade happens in India," said Lawson, 50 in December. "Australia might be No.1 and to beat them would be fantastic, but to beat India in India, it's about 10 Ashes series wrapped in one. It's like another war over there." Lawson said he planned to contact former Australian teammate and failed India coach Greg Chappell about the pitfalls of coaching in the sub-continent. Chappell's 22 months in charge of India were marred by clashes with senior players. "I think the Indian experience is a little different to Pakistan, but I've got Greg on my list to call," Lawson said. Lawson said he had no fear of failure and, asked how he would feel to see his effigy burned by Pakistan fans, he replied: "It's neither here nor there to me. It's never been done before, I suppose, so there's a first time for everything. "The fans of the sub-continent tend to be in fifth gear or reverse. You've got to accept that's the way they are. "In the end, we're all playing a game. I suppose when you talk about burning effigies, the next step is security." Lawson arrives in Pakistan on August 22 but will take the team to Kenya as a warm-up for the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa from September 11. He admitted he once had an ambition to be Australia coach, but he plans to transform Pakistan into the No.1 Test nation. "Coaching Australia I don't think is all that big a challenge, but coaching Pakistan certainly is," Lawson said. "If you really want to test your mettle as a coach I think it's elsewhere other than Australia. "This is a challenge to make Pakistan the best cricket team they can be, and they can be No1. "At the same time, there's some selfishness in it - I want to go out and show people I can coach at that level - but it's not necessarily a stepping stone anywhere."

With all due respect to team IND i must say that we have beaten IND on numerous occasions but haven't beaten AUS since 1994(famous Inzi Mushy partnership) and have lost our LAST 9 test matches to AUS so i would much rather have PAK defeat AUS.
thats ok... no offense taken, though i doubt you will be winning anything these next 12 months. certainly not tests against us, in our backyard and as for australia, lets just hope its not a 52-53 scorecard again.

I feel Pakistan is going to require fair bit of time to settle down what with new captain, few changes and the new coach. Pakistan's a decent ODI unit but are going to struggle at test level. The foremost for Pakistan it to recognize an opening pair and stick by it for some time. I guess the middle order takes care of itself but Pakistan need at least two pacers that are fit consistently. I suppose Pakistan fans need to be a little patient for the next year or so.

thats ok... no offense taken' date=' though i doubt you will be winning anything these next 12 months. certainly not tests against us, in our backyard and as for australia, lets just hope its not a 52-53 scorecard again.[/quote'] Ouch, the greatest test in history :hysterical::hysterical:
thats ok... no offense taken' date=' though i doubt you will be winning anything these next 12 months. [b']certainly not tests against us, in our backyard and as for australia, lets just hope its not a 52-53 scorecard again.
I wont be that confident THX because the last time PAK lost a test series in IND was way back in 1979/80(undefeated in 4 series)...now having said that until last year PAK had not lost in ENG since 1982 but we all know what happened last year so there is no guarantee either way.