Who should be the test captain?

bharat297

This is actually a more valid question than it may appear at first glance. While there is no doubt that Dhoni has all the makings of a good captain of the future, handing him the test captaincy may perhaps be giving him too much too soon. Furthermore, it could be argued that with the ever improving Dinesh Karthik in the picture, Dhoni hasnt fully cemented his test spot. Ponting was given the one day captaincy for over 2 years before given the test captaincy and it all flowed nicely. Maybe a similar scenario should be adopted by the indians. So if we have a look at the candidates, Ganguly & Tendulkar - these 2 in the same category even though Ganguly was a far far better captain, predominantly because they are both still playing ODIs, and this will create the strange scenario of say , Tendulkar captaining Dhoni in tests and then Dhoni captaining Tendulkar in ODIs. This leaves us with Kumble and VVS Laxman. Laxman has plenty of experience in tests. He has captained India, albiet for moments when the real captain was missing. Is Laxman the man that should lead India's test side? Captaincy might just give him that extra confidence he needs, and may re-ignite Laxmans career. He has had success against Australia. Kumble too has had plenty of success against Australia and is a natural fighting competitor with an excellent attitude. So who should be Indian test captain? Dhoni, Laxman, Kumble, someone else?

Nothing against Dhoni, but wouldnt there be a fear of giving him too much rather than grooming him. I mean, Dravid's first few months started superbly, hammered Sri Lanka in the test series and ODI series 6-1, then beat Pakistan 4-1 in the ODI series, and got a world record of 17 successive run-chases. I think we have something good in Dhoni, but I dont want to see his career ruined as a result of it being given to him before he is ready. T20 captaincy can not give you a true indication of long-term credentials as captain of both test and ODI sides. What happens if Australia thump India 7-0, and then India lose to Pakistan 5-0 in the corresponding ODI series? I could be proved wrong and Dhoni 'could' turn out to be our greatest ever captain, but wouldnt giving Laxman or someone the test captaincy for 2 years until we can be absolutely sure that Dhoni is ready to take over the full-time job, be a better option than throwing him in the deep end and running the risk of him drowning. Australia groomed Ponting with ODI captaincy for 2 years until Waugh retired (they also groomed Waugh in the same way until Taylor retired). England are grooming Collingwood until Vaughan retires.

It is impractical to have a wicketkeeper as a captain in the longer version of the game. There is too much for the guy to think about. Is Dhoni good enough to hold a spot on his batting alone? Not yet, I believe. For now, Laxman and Tendulkar are the only viable options. Laxman's record as captain is brilliant in whatever form he has captained and with a settled side at hand, Tendulkar is also capable of making a good comeback as captain. Both would be good choices. Kumble would not be a bad choice either but is pretty much out of reckoning as India have seldom chosen a bowler as a captain.

It is impractical to have a wicketkeeper as a captain in the longer version of the game. There is too much for the guy to think about. Is Dhoni good enough to hold a spot on his batting alone? Not yet, I believe.
Don't see the problem, especially in tests. There is no need for discussion between deliveries, which is the only issue with having a keeper as a captain.

Dhoni is still new to the job. Entrusting him with the job of captaining the Test side won't do him any good. His batting ability is still questionable. If he takes up the captaincy, it will definitely have an adverse effect on his batting. Sure, he has had a dream start with the T20 win but we won't know how good a captain he really is until the team starts losing a few matches. He needs more time. I think Kumble would make a fantastic test captain. He is a smart cricketer, sets a great example and knows what it takes to win at this level. He could be the best captain India never had