Sachin, Sushmita are the best: Lara

King

Sachin will be 'the' batsman in the World Cup: Lara Saturday January 27 2007 00:00 IST IANS CHENNAI: West Indies captain Brian Lara on Friday predicted that Sachin Tendulkar would display some "great cricket" in the forthcoming World Cup. He said Sushmita Sen was his favourite Bollywood actress. Interacting with fans at a charity event here Friday evening, Lara said that former Pakistan fast bowler Wasim Akram was the toughest bowler he has ever faced. "In the Indian side, Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh are very tough to play against," the West Indian cricketer said. Commenting on his contemporary batting rival Sachin Tendulkar, who is currently going through a lean form, Lara said: "I am in awe of Sachin. He has done so much for cricket in India...and you may see Sachin back to his best in the World Cup". "I don't think Sachin is going through any bad patch." "I have had more ups and downs than Sachin. He is going to be 'the' batsman in the World Cup". The March 13-April 28 World Cup will be played in the West Indies. The Caribbean also spoke briefly on popular Hindi film actress Sushmita Sen, terming her as his favourite. "I think she is the best...I have had the opportunity to interact with her a couple of years ago in the West Indies," Lara said.

Re: Sachin, Sushmita are the best: Lara Lara is very clever. He's killing two birds in one stone: a) Frequent mention of Sachin is great, is likely to earn him more brownie points among the Indian media/companies/people => more $$$$ b) He's doing this while Sachin is in the worst slump of his career, often his comments come across as quite condescending (could be a dig sugar coated as a compliment)