What's the freakin point of maths in MBA???

King

I'm tired of going through this material on maths. This one subject is a major put off and I don't see the reason of having to learn Baye's theorem or calculus all over again. I've never used calculus or some theorem in my profession and it was just a formality when I maths as one of the qualifying subjects when I did my academics. Now having to go thorough it and more, all over again, knowing fully well it is not going to serve any purpose in future is depressing to say the least. Unfortunately without clearing this subject I can't get anywhere either. I hate this over the top maths :mad:

Re: What's the freakin point of maths in MBA??? let me see now: Black Scholes Morton Ito's Calculus Pricing of Stock Options Hedging, the Greeks: Gamma, Delta, Beta Martingale analysis Life Contingencies Annuity and Bond Pricing Ammortization of Loans Actuarial Models for status contingent benefits Interest Swaps Regressional Analysis aaur bolu kya? p.s. if you think Bayes' Theorem and calculus are tedious, wait till you do some more rudimentary stuff like well: Central Limit Theorem, Significancy tests, Chi Square Distributions, Markov Chains, Poisson Process and my personal favorite: Non Linear Poisson Process!!! i must stop here for i am getting too excited... some of you might think that perverse, but hey, i have my peculiar fetishes.

Re: What's the freakin point of maths in MBA??? I think you are not getting the point, it's all well and good to have all kinds of mathematical stuff but are you putting that in daily use? I'm not and that is where I'm coming to. I have had to learn some stuff that I've never used again right after I cleared those subjects. How the heck am I going to be motivated to go through this knowing fully well I'm never going to use it right after I appear for the exams? P.S : I'm not waiting to get to the rudimentary stuff you have mentioned. I'm least interested in it knowing fully I'm never going to use that again.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: What's the freakin point of maths in MBA??? Actually Ravi courses are designed in order to prepare you for any stream you might choose within the super-set of MBA. See all those physical chemsitry organic chemistry books I had to go through for jee preperation I never used in under-grad school.. again all those high level maths I went through in under-grad never used in masters and phd but the problem is courses can't be tweaked for each individal particualrly in studies based on class-room kind of enviornment. Point is you may not have used but someone else might have pursued that and most certainly would have used even.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: What's the freakin point of maths in MBA???

Fair point DR. Just a bit frustrated having to go through all this again :shrug:
In coupe of weeks u will be up and running. If u have learnt all this before then recall won't take much time. Good luck :wtg:

Re: What's the freakin point of maths in MBA???

I think you are not getting the point, it's all well and good to have all kinds of mathematical stuff but are you putting that in daily use? I'm not and that is where I'm coming to. I have had to learn some stuff that I've never used again right after I cleared those subjects. How the heck am I going to be motivated to go through this knowing fully well I'm never going to use it right after I appear for the exams? P.S : I'm not waiting to get to the rudimentary stuff you have mentioned. I'm least interested in it knowing fully I'm never going to use that again.
Yes you will be... if you ever intend to work in finance. you will need to know how to price options, how to decide the viability and profitability of a financial instrument. an MBA does not prepare you to better sell a product, that is only a small fringe element of business applications.

Re: What's the freakin point of maths in MBA??? I'm neither going to sell nor going to specialize in finance. IT is and will be the industry I will mostly be working. Hopefully will move away a little from the technical side but project management is what I'm good at and am only going to specialize in Information Technology management. The electives are Finance, Marketing, HR and Information Technology. As DR said everyone irrespective of electives have to go clear maths.