Netaji described as a 'fake nationalist' in guide book

Guest dada_rocks

Guest dada_rocks
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Netaji_a_fake_nationalist_Guide_book/articleshow/2695153.cms BHUBANESWAR: The Orissa government on Saturday said it would order a probe into the issue in which a Cuttack-based private publisher described Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose as a "fake nationalist". "I have not seen the content of the paper. If the allegation is correct, it will be treated as a crime," said Chief Secretary Ajit Tripathy. He said the mass education department would look into the matter. According to a FIR lodged at a police station in Kendrapara district, Netaji was described as a "Bhanda Jatiyabadi Neta" (fake nationalist leader) in the guide book for seventh standard students published by MBD Publisher. Prakash Chandra Bhol, the printing co-ordinator of MBD Publisher, however, admitted the mistake. "It was a printing mistake and we have already initiated steps to correct it," Bhol said, adding the books were withdrawn from market as soon as the incident came to light. ( how conveneint ..so fake word pops in because of printing mistake wonder how ) Meanwhile, a group of youths in Kendrapara today burnt copies of the guide book and staged demonstration in the district headquarter town demanding stringent action against the publisher of the book. They also demanded unconditional apology from the publisher. Reacting to the issue, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik said he would ask the concerned authorities to examine the matter.

This is bullshit. How are we supposed to have a free and fair society if people can't express their views? Even if it goes against the mainstream. Absolute bollocks. This looks like censorship to me.
These are text books which are supposed to be standrdized not opinion column in NYT where every one can have one. Next you will be arguing that we dont teach our children or about evolution becoz some one doesnt believe in it. I dont see anything wrong in the govt imposing a standard view in the class room. There are other forums to debate and form independent opinions. Eg., everyone of our text books idolize Gandhi and Nehru but I know of several folks who have formed independent opinion about their role in Indian history.

There is no reason to censor the book if they are expressing doubts about Netaji or any other's intentions/effects. Nobody is asking this book to be taught to 'our children'- a book doesn't become a part of the curriculum unless it is accepted and voted on such by the educational committee of a particular educational board. And i can easily entertain thoughts about Netaji being a bit too narrowminded when he sought help from the Japanese/Germans. I can understand the concept of 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' and why he'd go to Germany/Japan to look for support amongst the enemies of his enemy(the British). But there is simply no excuse for missing the forest for the trees- if Netaji couldn't figure out that Germans would most likey have turned Indians into a slave-race had they won or that Japanese were 10 times worse than the English in their version of Imperialism, then he was either very stupid or simply looking to supplant one colonialist with another. Since i don't think Netaji was stupid, it does leave questions about his true intentions open to scrutiny. Gandhi ultimately was right to support the British during WWI and WWII- simply because regardless of whether the British kept their end of the bargain/promises, fact still remains that as an Indian, you'd much rather have British overlordship than Japanese/German overlordship.

Folks....On a different note, I would recommened this book -- Anuj Dhar's -- Back from Dead - Inside the Subhash Bose Mystery. th_07138_ISBMfrontbig_122_668lo.jpg Anuj Dhar has done a lot of research regarding finding place and cause of Netajis death. Author says, it is India's biggest cover-up. There are some eye-opening accounts, which also indicate the elements in Congress party being invloved in Subhash Chandra Bose's death. This book hints that Netaji might have died in Russia and GOI has all files of accounts of Netajis death. recently, RAW (India's premier intelligence agency) denied to share the info. Prime Ministers office, also refused to give info. regarding Netajis death under the reason that it may affect India's ties with some "friendly" Nations.....I am suprised if this the true reason, or Congressis are just protecting their so called "great" leaders of India. I have a lot of doubt, though not sure, if it turns out to be Nehruji getting Netaji assassinated. Otherwise why the fook they will not de-classify these documents....after more than 50 years, it's impossible that Netajis death cause will affect India's ties with any of so called "freindly" Nations. This is an old news, but very credible in this regard -- http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/002200612221021.htm PMO Refuses to Furnish Data on Netaji Kolkata, Dec. 22 (PTI): The Prime Minister Office has refused to furnish data on documents and records it held on the mysterious disappearance of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, saying the disclosure would harm India's relations with foreign countries. :nervous: "On verification of the classified files held by PMO, it is held that their disclosure will prejudicially affect relations with foreign countries," {could be a cover-up to protect image of high ranking Congress leadres from dynasty} Joint Secretary to the Prime Minister and Appellate Authority in the PMO Sanjay Mitra told Anuj Dhar of Delhi-based Mission Netaji who sought the list under the RTI Act. The PMO's denial comes close on the heels of Chief Information Officer A N Tiwari's warning to the Union Home Ministry that it would take stern action if the ministry did not furnish the 202 documents on Netaji under its possession. Dhar, whose organisation is on a campaign to bring out the "truth" behind Netaji's disappearance, had earlier requested PMO's Central Public Information Officer Kamal Dayani to confirm if the PMO was holding classified records on Bose and provide a list of all such records along with the unclassified ones. In reply, Dayani provided a list of only the unclassified files, most relating to Bose's disappearance. In keeping with the RTI procedure, Mission Netaji reported the matter to the Appellate Authority in the PMO, complaining that Dayani's answer was "incomplete" because it has not responded to the request for the classified files.