Man who revolutionised the mindset of opening batsmen in ODI

head coach

Re: Man who revolutionised the mindset of opening batsmen in ODI >Tendulkar, barring that one knock vs NZ, was not a super fast scorer in the mid 90's as opener. he followed up with 40 off 26 73 off 60 against likes of Akram, A. Javed in Sharjah..he started even quicker..slowed down lil bit than his first hundred against Aussies...started off at fair clip..and slowed down later in middle over.s another 62 off 50 odd bolws aginst Kiwis Remember his quick fire 35 odd in Bangladesh in Final of finals against Pak..chasing 310+. During prelim matches in same tourney..he scored 90 odd in 60 odd balls against Pakistan. and many more.

Re: Man who revolutionised the mindset of opening batsmen in ODI

>Tendulkar, barring that one knock vs NZ, was not a super fast scorer in the mid 90's as opener.
it's bit tricky to analyze SRT based on strike rate of his overall score. If compared to other openers like Jaya, SRT easily has the best overall record as he has scored bigger knocks, but not the overall strike rate as in most of his innings you can see a trend of brisk scoring in first 15 overs or so and settling down as he got in his 60s-70s. To determine who was the fastest, it will be fair and interesting to compare SRT's strike rate for the avg. runs scored by someone like Jaya -say first 35-50.

Pioneer in ODI opening history? I do not think so. Trend-setter? Nope. Great opening batsman who took ODI a step forward? Yes. It should be worthwhile to remember that Jayasurya was not sent out as an opener(in 1996) but more like a pinch-hitter. This was due to Arjuna Ranatunga's strategy as Sri Lanka could bat deep. Heck players like Mahanama would come at 7. It should also be remembered that before 1996 WC Jayasurya had played about 100 ODI and averaged under 20. He was predominantly a bowler who could throw his bat a bit. There are some who suggest Mark Greatbatch was the one who started it all. Yes he was successful but anyone who has seen 1991/92 WC would know that a large part was due to small cricketing grounds in NZ. True Mark succeeded where others(Kapil, Botham including) failed but come on how can you pick one championship and say because of that a player is trend-setter? Of them all Sreekanth was the original master blaster. All the while he played the game he played exactly like thw way Jayasurya did. And that included all the original fielding, not the 15 overs restriction we have today. If one suggests that Jayasurya has been the pioneer in the 15 over restriction era I would agree but overall? No. xxx
Lurker, I agree with you on most of the stuff except for Srikkanth. I like Srikkanth as a person but not as a player. He was a great entertainer but I feel he contributed very less to the team's interest. Not to take away from this thread's topic but out of the 140 or so ODI's he played he scored 4 centuries. Srikkanth was lucky most of the time on not getting out (atleast the matches that I have watched him play). Most of his shots were careless. Jayasuriya contributed immensely to the betterment of ODI Cricket overall atleast made the total ticking. You are exactly right that Jayasuriya set the trend of hitting every ball over the top of fielders within 15 overs.
Strange reasons you give there for not crediting Srikanth for his original hitting over the top batting. I don't reckon you have watched 1985 Champions trophy in Australia, Srikanth was the consistent player to do it against some of the best bowlers. On one hand you say trendsetter and on the other you talk about consistency, hundreds :shrug: You decide whether you want trendsetter or the opening batsman that was consistent. Srikanth sure was a trend setter and if you haven't seen enough of him let us know we will post some videos to prove you otherwise. I must have some 1980s videos of Srikanth lying around, will post it sometime.

On one hand you say trendsetter and on the other you talk about consistency, hundreds :shrug: You decide whether you want trendsetter or the opening batsman that was consistent. Srikanth sure was a trend setter and if you haven't seen enough of him let us know we will post some videos to prove you otherwise. I must have some 1980s videos of Srikanth lying around, will post it sometime.
Ravi, Not sure if you would have it but if you, or someone else, have it can you put the 1985 Benson Hedsges World Series semis(against NZ) and/or finals(against Pakistan)? xxxx

On one hand you say trendsetter and on the other you talk about consistency, hundreds :shrug: You decide whether you want trendsetter or the opening batsman that was consistent. Srikanth sure was a trend setter and if you haven't seen enough of him let us know we will post some videos to prove you otherwise. I must have some 1980s videos of Srikanth lying around, will post it sometime.
Ravi, Not sure if you would have it but if you, or someone else, have it can you put the 1985 Benson Hedsges World Series semis(against NZ) and/or finals(against Pakistan)? xxxx
Yup Lurker, my old man taped every game's highlights. I was way too young but I remember couple of Indian families sitting around and mentioning how Srikanth takes the bowlers apart. They gathered around just to watch this bloke take on the bowlers and when he got out they seemed very disappointed. Srikanth was one of those that I liked as a young boy as we needed plenty of action with the bat and not dour doggedness.

But lets not get hung on this. My point is the game of One day had a facelift after the Lankans showed that runs could be scored in three figures within 15 overs and Jayasurya played a large role in it.[/quote] No disarguments on that one HC. Jayasurya has played a stellar role in 1996 post LOI cricket regardless of the reasons(fielding restrictions etc). I personally like his performance ever since he has made a comeback in past few series. In LOI he has averaged 60 plus in last 15 games. And when Jayasurya scores you know he would score at a brisk rate. Not to mention he will also score big(can't recall him getting dismissed in 50's and 60's much). Plus of course he is a very handy bowler. Overall a fantastic cricketer for his country. On a different note does anyone remember the days when LOI games were 60 overs a side? And then it became 55 and finally settled at 50? At that time even a 40 over game was treated as nothing more than an "exhibition" game. Today of course we have an entire format based on 20-20. xxx

Yup Lurker' date=' my old man taped every game's highlights. I was way too young but I remember couple of Indian families sitting around and mentioning how Srikanth takes the bowlers apart. They gathered around just to watch this bloke take on the bowlers and when he got out they seemed very disappointed. Srikanth was one of those that I liked as a young boy as we needed plenty of action with the bat and not dour doggedness.[/quote'] Lucky you Ravi. I remember watching the semis and finals. Kapil had won India semis after scoring a brisk 50(including 5 fours off Hadlee in an over), and then in finals bowled tremendously, including clean bowling Qasim Omar with a perfect yorker. I beleive Benaud it was on the microphone that suggested it was ball of the championship. I have always wondered why Kapil did not get MOM in both the games? He was the one who made the difference though Shastri obviously played wonderfully well too. http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1984-85/OD_TOURNEYS/WCC/NZ_IND_WCC_ODI-SEMI1_05MAR1985.html http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1984-85/OD_TOURNEYS/WCC/PAK_IND_WCC_ODI-FINAL_10MAR1985.html If you can put them in video format then do share with us. xxx

On one hand you say trendsetter and on the other you talk about consistency' date=' hundreds :shrug: You decide whether you want trendsetter or the opening batsman that was consistent. Srikanth sure was a trend setter and if you haven't seen enough of him let us know we will post some videos to prove you otherwise. I must have some 1980s videos of Srikanth lying around, will post it sometime.[/quote'] Ravi, sure please post the videos when you get a chance. Will be glad to see them again. I started following cricket around 83 onwards that is when we got a Television until then it was all radio commentary :hic: I agree with you Ravi about Srikkanth's batting but the only point I wanted to make is that Srikkanth was not able to establish this style of making runs during the initial overs into the game as a whole whereas because of the explosive batting SL put out others had to follow their footsteps and Jayasurya was the man behind it. Thanks in advance for the videos.

Re: Man who revolutionised the mindset of opening batsmen in ODI Jayasuriya made sure the 15 over charge become the norm after that '96 WC, but to say that he "revolutionised" the game suggests that he was the first to have used such tactics and that is just plain wrong. There were many batsmen before his time who went all-out and attacked during those first 15 overs.

Jayasuriya made sure the 15 over charge become the norm after that '96 WC' date=' but to say that he "revolutionised" the game suggests that he was the first to have used such tactics and that is just plain wrong. There were many batsmen before his time who went all-out and attacked during those first 15 overs.[/quote'] Predator, not doing any eye for an eye thing just for the debate sake: Revolution means "a sudden, radical, or complete change " http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/revolution

Predator, not doing any eye for an eye thing just for the debate sake: Revolution means "a sudden, radical, or complete change " http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/revolution
There was about decade and a half from the time Srikanth started to show flambuyonce at the top of the order and Jayasuriya started his at the top. Moreover that method was tried and tested again by Greatbatch in the 1992 world cup. What is a revolution, Srikanth hitting over the top opening the batting in the days when keeping the ball down and leaving as many as an opener was the norm of the day or the times when Jayasuriya took it upon himself to emulate the likes of Srikanth, Greatbatch and the rest. Now you decide if Jayasuriya's act was "a sudden, radical, or complete change " .

...and that sudden change was first precipitated by Srikkanth. Your point ? Jayasuriya didn't revolutionise anything. I don't know why you are still beating on about this.
OK Predator, lets call a spade a spade shall we? Srikkanth had this approach when he played but was not successful on making this a normal thing in ODI matches Jayasurya was successful on making this a normal thing in ODI cricket after his explosive batting along with Kaluvitharana. And for this reason I would say he revolutionised the mindset of opening batsmen in an ODI game. You okay now?

Re: Man who revolutionised the mindset of opening batsmen in ODI From where did partly successful, highly successful criteria come from? Srikanth was successful enough in what he did otherwise his name would not have been mentioned at all. Similarly with Greatbatch, he was quite successful in WC 1992. Jayasuriya established this act surely but not an inventor however you look at it.

OK Predator, lets call a spade a spade shall we? Srikkanth had this approach when he played but was not successful on making this a normal thing in ODI matches Jayasurya was successful on making this a normal thing in ODI cricket after his explosive batting along with Kaluvitharana. And for this reason I would say he revolutionised the mindset of opening batsmen in an ODI game. You okay now?
You don't make any sense. Sure, no one is denying that the first 15 over attack came full circle after the '96 WC. Jayasuriya did have a role in that. But you are completely wrong by saying he revolutionisd the game by making it a "normal thing", because its clear that there were MANY batsmen playing the SAME way well before his time. Whether Srikkanth was successful or not DOESN'T MATTER - he will still be the one who can be regarded as the trend-setter, the batsmen who set new standards for rapid scoring - since he was the FIRST to adopt that approach on a regular basis - NOT Jayasuriya. Here; do some reading on Srikkanth and educate yourself. http://www.chennaionline.com/chennaicitizen/1999/srikanthprofile.asp