Ramayan, Mahabharat and other Indian EPICS

Gambit

Another question I have is, why did Yuyutsu change sides before the start of the battle ? I can't recollect much on Yuyutsu's character. Was he a good dood who saw that Dharma was with Yudhisthir or did he switch because he saw that nobody opposing Krishna could win ?!?

Every person I knew used to watch it! I was the only one who found it boring. I must say that in the hands of the right director Mahabharat could be made into a seriously kick ass Hollywood movie. Like 300/LOTR.

Another question I have is, why did Yuyutsu change sides before the start of the battle ? I can't recollect much on Yuyutsu's character. Was he a good dood who saw that Dharma was with Yudhisthir or did he switch because he saw that nobody opposing Krishna could win ?!?
he opposed cheer haran of Draupdi...i guess he was a good fella.. he changed side because he knew that truth and dharma was with Pandavas..

TGIB, can you think of a good reason why Ashwatthaama wasnt made the commander-in-cheif at Karna's death ? Only thing i can think of is Ashwatthama was not of warrior caste..but then again, neither was Drona ! Maybe Drona was seen as a special exception because he taught warfare to half the doods in Kurukshetra ?? Also, what is the reason Shantanu's brother is alive till kurukshetra and how so ?

i don't know about the Shantanu's brother....didn't know that there was even a brother of Shantanu..:teeth_smile: and about Ashwatthama...i am not sure ..as i don't think it was shown in serial as why he was not picked after Karna... Duryodhan almost gave up the fight after Karna died...

TGIB, can you think of a good reason why Ashwatthaama wasnt made the commander-in-cheif at Karna's death ? Only thing i can think of is Ashwatthama was not of warrior caste..but then again, neither was Drona ! Maybe Drona was seen as a special exception because he taught warfare to half the doods in Kurukshetra ?? Also, what is the reason Shantanu's brother is alive till kurukshetra and how so ?
Drona was not made CIC by default... but he threatened to quit, if he was not made commander in chief.... hence he was made.... Ashwathama didnt hold tht kind of a sway in the selection committee...

yeah... but Duryodhana was fast losing support among his community for already making a shudra(falsely assumed) like karna as a king..... then Drona as CIC.... he would have a major uprising on his hands, if he made ashwattama as a CIC too.....

Yeah thats rather sad. One thing i don't like about Mahabharata is how caste system is there in it and caste is the root cause of all this problem. For if it wasn't for caste, Vidur would've been the King- he was the wisest, smartest and easily the sanest of all three brothers ( Dhritarashtra,Pandu and Vidur). Plus if caste was not the problem, Karna wouldn't have been refused his right to kick Arjun's arse in that contest. Remember, at that stage, Karna was far superior to Arjun and Drona's equal ( since Karna and Drona had the same guru, Parashuram) and whatever Arjun did, Karna did only better and with more grace. Yet, dood keeps getting taunted as sut-putra throughout the novel until he just really hates the Pandavas. I'd have too if they kept taunting me like that for no good reason. Plus even in middle of Kurukshetra, Bheem has the temerity to make fun of his teacher Drona (who is ten times the warrior Bheem is!) and tells him to go back to his ashraam as brahmins don't have the heart to fight !( this, after the fatass falsely spreads rumour of Ashwatthama's death and Drona is overcome with grief for his only son !)

CC1981, AFAIK, King Prateep had three sons: Bahleek, Shantanu and Devaapi. Bahleek was the eldest, but went for major tapasya, so Shantanu became the King. It is possible that due to his ghor tap, he was able to live a very long life and thus, was the oldest warrior at Kurukshetra. HTH.

yeah... but Duryodhana was fast losing support among his community for already making a shudra(falsely assumed) like karna as a king..... then Drona as CIC.... he would have a major uprising on his hands' date=' if he made ashwattama as a CIC too.....[/quote'] That could be a reason, but there is one more angle to it. Till that time, Duryodhana being a Duryodhana was under illusion that that he will be able to create some "divide" among Pandavas by declaring MadraNaresh as Army Chief as the two Pandavas -- Nakul and Sahadev --son of Madri--may become sympathetic to his army after seeing MadraNaresh -- or may shift loyalties if MadraNaresh faces stiff challenge leading to his death. But as Lord Krishna said to Yudhisthira in beginning-- strength of Pandavas lies in their UNITY...remove any out of FIVE and you no more remain Pandavas. That is why keeping Lord Krishna as their mentor Pandavas remained united till end and even presence of Nakul's Mama as CIC didn't deter them.

Guest dada_rocks

Karna better warrior than Arjun is a myth originating from the proverbial eulogy sympathy for the unfortunate ones.. Fact is time and again Karna came distant second to Arjuna be it Gandharva war be it Viratnagar war be it Draupadi swayamvar..

In Draupadi swayabar...Karn did not get any chance.. also lets not forget that Karn was under the curse that he will not be able to recall all his Divya Ashtras..when he will need it the most..so he had to fight it with ordinary arrows... and i also think it was stupid of Arjun ..when he decided not to use different Divya Ashtras..could haev finished the war in 3-4 days... and DR...Even Lord Krishna dmitted that karn was a better warrior than Arjun when Karna was dying..

Guest dada_rocks

Well he didn't get the chance because Arjuna cut his bow after all he had initiated it so he sud have been ready for it. About curse it's part of karna package it's like pakistanis saying shoaib akhtar was not fit fully knowing that's akhtar package eternally half-fit. When someone is dying usually eulogy is read, it's not like Lord krishna was not given to lies and hyperbole. He was up for anything as and when situation demanded. Arjuan sans divya-astra was more than handful for them. BTW even that was krishna's idea.

Guest HariSampath

Ok...here comes the original on ramayan/Mahabharat Q: Who was the Tendulkar in mahabharat ? Why ? what name did he have in common with Tendulkar ? This is the proof I have always considered myself as the ICF authority and greatest fan of Tendulkar :-)