Guru Kirsten brings back glory to Sehwag

Guest HariSampath

Anil was caught in between the need to win games and the need to "accommodate" superstars in the side ( read: Dravid and Yuvraj)...If things had gone normally as per captain, maybe we would not have seen a situation where Dravid "had to be accommodated as opener" as "Yuvraj cannot be dropped after brilliant 169"....what to do, very unfortunate, as we all saw directly from the test series that Sehwag is able to influence test matches/series MORE than Yuvraj and Dravid put together. And I had publicly criticised Anil for the above blunder on various threads EVEN BEFORE 3rd test.

No doubt Anil deserves credit .. but in my mind Chappel pulled a stunner by backing a man , almost everyone including me had written off.. I seriously doubt Anil would have picked Shewag if Chappel had not backed him.. Actually lot of ppl from media and ex cricters were following que after the chappel endorsement..

I have to point out that Anil is his own man, AND also that Chappell was one of the foremost backers of Sehwag...Anil had always been a Sehwag man, and those who know Indian cricket will tell you why, in fact ALL captains have been Sehwag men, no surprises. A small point here, pointed out by me elsewhere, I had been publicly and vocally been a Sehwag backer, and even after he was left out of 24 probables, I had been fighting for him. I had emailed Anil my analysis and my Sehwag article on ICF , and even got a response from Anil, based on which I had even predicted Pankaj Singh apart from Sehwag, now we all know how it happened. Anil just wanted Viru, and all other opinions like Ian Chappell just added to it. Anil deserves 100 % credit for Sehwag, and he alone.
Guest HariSampath
So why should we credit anil
Credit Anil alone for picking him in 16. Criticise Anil alone for not picking hin in 11 for first 2 tests. A captain always has to take praise as well as blame.
Guest HariSampath
ICF backed Sehwag more than everybody....
Yes, and a particular ICfr did more than just support Sehwag...he spoke to 2 key persons involved in selections... ( I was referring to Krish Srikkanth who we can call an ICfr ) :D