Guru Kirsten brings back glory to Sehwag

Adelaide: Virender Sehwag is back to where he belongs to and he can thank new coach Gary Kirsten for mapping his route of return. Sehwag won back his Test spot with a remarkable 151 in Adelaide and is now one of the first names Indian team would tick in for their forthcoming Twenty20 and one-day tri-series in Australia. Sehwag came to Australia on reputation rather than on form and it was not until his century against ACT XI in Canberra, between the second and third Test, that he was offered a lifeline to resurrect his Test career in Perth. Kirsten, due to take over as coach of the team in March, arrived as a consultant in Perth and being an opener himself, set about reigniting the career of one of India's most explosive batsmen ever. Sehwag offered India a positive start in both the innings at Perth but his scores of 29 and 43 did not make for a thumping return. His first innings dismissal in Adelaide, cutting close to his body and being caught at first slip, made Kirsten seek him out for a special session in preparation for the rest of the match. In this lengthy nets of a few hours, Kirsten asked Sehwag to take an off-stump guard and leave everything which was bowled to him on and around that area. It ostensibly was an attempt to make Sehwag leave out a few shots which he can't resist outside the off-stump. The second advice was to completely leave out the upper cut --- even though it makes for a pleasing, exciting sight to see the ball soar over the slips and sometimes even the third man -- for it leaves too much room for errors. Sehwag was asked to keep his bat perpendicular, allowing his quick hand-eye co-ordination to meet the ball with straight bat and leave out errors such as playing across, as it happened in the second innings of the Perth Test, being bowled by Stuart Clark. Interestingly, Kirsten offered Sehwag a little challenge of trying to last 150 balls each time he visits to the crease. The more Sehwag stays at the wicket, more the chances of him scoring runs in spurts and a surge of confidence that rubs off on his fellow mates in the dressing room. All this worked out brilliantly for Sehwag and India as the visitors were able to salvage a draw after some anxious moments on the final afternoon. Sehwag's innings was remarkable for a few other reasons as well. He has scored in excess of 150 runs in the last nine Test centuries that he has been able to raise against his name. His Adelaide effort, 151 off 236 balls, is one of his slowest ever! So much so for all those who were gushing over his slice of 100 runs out of the 128 which India had put on the final morning of the Adelaide Test. With Yuvraj struggling with his knee and Dhoni yet to inspire confidence, also the uncertainty of how India's young talents would cope in the den of the world champions, Sehwag's return to form, as well as the dazzling brilliance of Sachin Tendulkar, give India their best chance in the rest of the series. http://www.cricketnext.com/news/guru-kirsten-brings-back-glory-to-sehwag/29299-13.html

Guest HariSampath

If this is true, my genuine hats off to Kirsten, like many others here. I hope Gary works out a few things with Yuvraj too, as it is mostly a mental thing. Also Dhoni and Bhajji. I noted that Kirsten is a behind the scenes guy , not too interested in the newsbytes, but just results....good if it is true, and although I had opposed his appointment, looks like he he is proving himself quietly, well done ....GO Gary !!!

Hari, this guy Jha is a scumbag of the highest order. I wouldn't trust his version of things any further than I could throw him. It's a manufactured story, in all likelihood, designed to deflect credit from Sehwag, who none of the so called "journos", including Jha had the foresight to defend when he was down and out. These guys are really parasites, living off cricketers and the general craze that surrounds them.

Guest HariSampath
Hari, this guy Jha is a scumbag of the highest order. I wouldn't trust his version of things any further than I could throw him. It's a manufactured story, in all likelihood, designed to deflect credit from Sehwag, who none of the so called "journos", including Jha had the foresight to defend when he was down and out. These guys are really parasites, living off cricketers and the general craze that surrounds them.
Like I said before, "IF" it is true. I really havent read too much of Jha to know anything or to judge his writing. But the only funny thing about that version was that Sehwag himself hasn't said anything. Also I dont really know what Jha wrote when Sehwag was dropped
Guest HariSampath

One thing I know about sanjay Jha is that he is a Ganguly cronie and I did recently see him on TV making very silly cricket points on SG's exclusion. He was also saying there should be a "national movement" against it , which I felt was too ridicluous when I heard him....I generally switch off whenever I hear him or about him, and so I dont read him at all to judge his credibility

So kirsten has been there only 5 minutes and already he's the reason we went toe to toe with Australia and would have beaten them if the umpires werent on the Aussie payroll. If we are crediting Sehwags success to Kirsten then can we blame him for Yuvi, Dhoni and Jaffers sudden drop in form too?

Guest HariSampath
I think the real credit for return of Shewag goes to Ian Chappel.. Every one including Khumble started looking at this guy after Chappel was surpised at this omission from the probables.
I have to point out that Anil is his own man, AND also that Chappell was one of the foremost backers of Sehwag...Anil had always been a Sehwag man, and those who know Indian cricket will tell you why, in fact ALL captains have been Sehwag men, no surprises. A small point here, pointed out by me elsewhere, I had been publicly and vocally been a Sehwag backer, and even after he was left out of 24 probables, I had been fighting for him. I had emailed Anil my analysis and my Sehwag article on ICF , and even got a response from Anil, based on which I had even predicted Pankaj Singh apart from Sehwag, now we all know how it happened. Anil just wanted Viru, and all other opinions like Ian Chappell just added to it. Anil deserves 100 % credit for Sehwag, and he alone.