Does Sreesanth deserve to be in the playing XI?

bunny

"Does Sreesanth deserve to be in the playing XI?" Does he heck! Thirteen wickets versus Australia in 5.5 matches @ 23.38, with a SR of 21.8. He owns the Aussies. Very badly timed injury for the Tests. We could have had that series had Sree been fit.
Leave aside today's match. Please check how and when has he got those wickets. (even Gilchrist's dismissal was lucky). I like him in tests and to me he belongs in tests (at least right now). But, it's good he is getting some match practice before the SA series.
Leave aside today's match. Please check how and when has he got those wickets. (even Gilchrist's dismissal was lucky). I like him in tests and to me he belongs in tests (at least right now). But' date=' it's good he is getting some match practice before the SA series.[/quote'] Bunny, did you put much thought into that post? It sure doesn't show. Why should I leave aside today's match? Was it played on Mars? You have derided Gilly's dismissal as lucky. What about the two jaffas that shot past Symonds, missing his bat by millimeters. Was he not unlucky there? And how did you rate the delivery that got Ponting? He's earned each and every of those 13 wickets against Australia. They are not a side disposed to being charitable on the cricket field, you know! The bottom line tells a story. It's your preconceived notions that's blurring your reading of it. Many many years of watching defensive trundlers turn out in Indian colours have dulled your perception of how useful an attacking bowler can be in this version of the game. And you say that he should be reserved for the longer version of the game. Not saying I disagree with you there, but how exactly do you think he is going to get back to the Test XI, coming back, as he is, from a long lay-off due to a serious injury? This is his examination, this is the testing ground for selectors, who are waiting to see if he can stand up to the rigors of international cricket again. If you haven't already realised, the Indian pace scene is now a highly competitive one, with five players vying for three, maybe two spots (depending on whether Bhajji can talk, no bullshyte, himself into the team again). With there being no international cricket between now, and the SA Test series, this is Sreesanth's only opportunity to make himself selectable again, and he knows he must grab it with both hands or be crowded out for a rather long time by his rivals.

Sreeshant is a class act. When he is fit and is in song, he is the most menacing bowler. I would rate him high over everyone. That said, all these fast bowlers should be rotated so that they are fit and should bring a lot of balance. I think we should start the same rotation policy with the middle order. At present all the youngsters are the same. They need to gain experience and will take time to mature. I would rotate all the youngsters so that suresh raina, tiwari, kkd, uthappa, rs are get a chance. Does nt matter if someone scored 50 or went for a duck. This will bring some much needed exposure and experience.

Bunny, did you put much thought into that post? It sure doesn't show. Why should I leave aside today's match? Was it played on Mars? You have derided Gilly's dismissal as lucky. What about the two jaffas that shot past Symonds, missing his bat by millimeters. Was he not unlucky there? And how did you rate the delivery that got Ponting? He's earned each and every of those 13 wickets against Australia. They are not a side disposed to being charitable on the cricket field, you know! The bottom line tells a story. It's your preconceived notions that's blurring your reading of it. Many many years of watching defensive trundlers turn out in Indian colours have dulled your perception of how useful an attacking bowler can be in this version of the game. And you say that he should be reserved for the longer version of the game. Not saying I disagree with you there, but how exactly do you think he is going to get back to the Test XI, coming back, as he is, from a long lay-off due to a serious injury? This is his examination, this is the testing ground for selectors, who are waiting to see if he can stand up to the rigors of international cricket again. If you haven't already realised, the Indian pace scene is now a highly competitive one, with five players vying for three, maybe two spots (depending on whether Bhajji can talk, no bullshyte, himself into the team again). With there being no international cricket between now, and the SA Test series, this is Sreesanth's only opportunity to make himself selectable again, and he knows he must grab it with both hands or be crowded out for a rather long time by his rivals.
When did I say that Indian bowling attack doesn't have potential? I am asking Sreesanth to be replaced by MP or PK. That surely means that I consider our bench to be strong, no? Sreesanth got a lot of wickets in garbage time. Do check out the scorecards. Sreesanth still can't bowl to lefties. And he leaks buckets of runs on flat tracks (on which 90% of ODIs are played). He is good to give you some early breakthroughs when he is on song and bowling to RHB. But that's about it as far as his bowling in ODI is concerned. He can't bowl at the death nor can he get wickets after the first 20 overs. Either we can keep praising him and hope that he becomes the next reincarnation of Allan Donald. Or we keep criticizing him and hope that he learns from his mistakes and puts some thought when bowling in nets. I choose the latter.
When did I say that Indian bowling attack doesn't have potential? I am asking Sreesanth to be replaced by MP or PK. That surely means that I consider our bench to be strong, no?
And that aptly demonstates what I meant when I said "Many many years of watching defensive trundlers turn out in Indian colours have dulled your perception of how useful an attacking bowler can be in this version of the game".
And that aptly demonstates what I meant when I said "Many many years of watching defensive trundlers turn out in Indian colours have dulled your perception of how useful an attacking bowler can be in this version of the game".
It depends. I can show you numerous matches where a Sreesanth alone cost us 20-30 runs which could have been decisive. And can you tell me who are the defensive trundlers you are referring to? We have had numerous bowlers (Srinath, Agarkar, Zak, Nehra, IP etc) who would bowl well in swinging conditions or with the new ball, and they would lose the plot as soon as the opposing batsmen start gaining the momentum. Sreesanth is no different.