Does Sreesanth deserve to be in the playing XI?

bunny

He has got an absolutely rubbish ODI and T20 record. But still we keep playing him. I thought his performances in ODIs might be improving. Doesn't seem to be the case. In almost all matches against Aus he leaked 6+ rpo. Though he managed some wickets most of them were in the death overs. Zak and RPS are injured but still IS, IP, PK and even MP seem to be better suited for ODIs. Stick with these 4 I'd say.

He was bowling consistently @ 140 KMPH. I don't know why does he bother bowling slower balls. He hasn't understood the concept of bowling slower balls yet. He does not have a clue of when to bowl and what line/length should be bowled for a slower ball.

He was bowling consistently @ 140 KMPH. I don't know why does he bother bowling slower balls. He hasn't understood the concept of bowling slower balls yet. He does not have a clue of when to bowl and what line/length should be bowled for a slower ball.
I admit that I have not seen him bowl in todays match, but I remember that he bowls the back of the hand slower ball. It is pretty much impossible to direct these balls other than a rough guide of length (ie, full or short). He short be on a short lease, but he still should play ODIs (for now) due to wicket taking abilities. Thoughts of playing him in T20s should be out of the window though, he is FAR too expensive.
^yup' date=' he bowls it like a leg spinner, its a pretty good delivery, but he bowls it too much,lol[/quote'] Yes, that is the one I mean. However, he does not bowl it like a leg spinner (more a googly) and by definition, he can't. Sreesanth's wrist is one which gets fully behind the ball which ever way it faces. If he tried to run in and bowl a leg break, it would skyrocket down leg side.
It doesnt matter what he accomplishes in these ODIs. He must make good use of this practise to get back inform for the upcoming test series vs SA. I hope the team mgmt is mindful of the upcoming test series & manages his workload wisely
Manages his workload? You are overrating him, my friend. He certainly does not command a ODI spot to be shifted out of the team when he wants a rest and then straight back in. Somebody who is fighting for his place in the side should have to play until he is dropped. If a player can not get through one tri series of ODIs, the fitness trainers are to blame and not the selectors.
Just curious' date=' what speeds was Sreesanth generating today ?[/quote'] His first over was bowled over 140 kmph. Fastest ball = 148 kmph. I think he bowled reasonably well for a comeback after 3-4 months
Manages his workload? You are overrating him, my friend. He certainly does not command a ODI spot to be shifted out of the team when he wants a rest and then straight back in. Somebody who is fighting for his place in the side should have to play until he is dropped. If a player can not get through one tri series of ODIs, the fitness trainers are to blame and not the selectors.
He may not command a spot if all our regulars are fit. With RPS, Zaheer injured & Munaf's indifferent form, who else is an obvious replacement for Sree ? If you also consider that Sreesanth always does well against Australia, its a no-brainer to slot him in the XI. Knowing our propensity to kill the golden goose, its likely that he may be overused if he shows a bit of form. Thats why its important to ensure that he stays fit, yet plays enough to find form.

IMO, for Sreesanth to be more effective he has to keep bowling with same pace. This will help him be in some rhythm. His slower balls are awful to watch as they land up in slogging zone.