Performance of the Young Indian Brigade, Down Under

70 min 64 balls is not sucking Anakin. That was on par. Afterall they had lost 2 quick wickets and they had to bat for 29 overs not just 20. Any other loss of wicket and we'd have been in a big hole. I think he played well under the condition.
His weakness was the middle overs. The slogging at the end was on par, and that brought up his overall SR. The loss of 2 wkts shouldn't mean you can't even rotate the strike.
His weakness was the middle overs. The slogging at the end was on par' date=' and that brought up his overall SR. The loss of 2 wkts shouldn't mean you can't even rotate the strike.[/quote'] We have hardly seen enough of him to determine whether it is really a weakness or a one match glitch. Lets hope he learns....
We have hardly seen enough of him to determine whether it is really a weakness or a one match glitch. Lets hope he learns....
The problem is that now we have 2 players who are capable of filling RD's boots (read Dhoni and RS), and suddenly none capable of filling the old Dhoni's boots. And when Yuvraj Singh is also out of form it means accelerating in the middle overs won't be that easy.
We have hardly seen enough of him to determine whether it is really a weakness or a one match glitch. Lets hope he learns....
That I agree with, but what I didn't like was that he even didn't try to hit. GG was trying and succeeding quite often on the other hand.
70 min 64 balls is not sucking Anakin. That was on par. Afterall they had lost 2 quick wickets and they had to bat for 29 overs not just 20. Any other loss of wicket and we'd have been in a big hole. I think he played well under the condition.
Yes, if the innings is not by Sachin, it sucks.

Anakin is "disappointed" because Rohit stagnated in the middle overs in an ODI match. I am excited because India appear to have found their next Test middle order bat. He's got it all. Cool head, good technique, and pretty sound temparament. The kid is 20, and is gonna get better. I think India are on to a good thing here.

Anakin is "disappointed" because Rohit stagnated in the middle overs in an ODI match. I am excited because India appear to have found their next Test middle order bat. He's got it all. Cool head, good technique, and pretty sound temparament. The kid is 20, and is gonna get better. I think India are on to a good thing here.
Exactly. I never said he is not a good batsman. In fact I said it even before the series that I liked his batting in his brief innings in the T20. He'll be a good fit in the test squad even now. But that doesn't mean he must have batted well yesterday, which he didn't by any means. Don't just get blinded by 70 from 64 balls or whatever. Although part of the blame lies in Dhoni's captaincy. He should've come out himself or sent RU (better option) if he didn't trust UV. BTW, it was a reduced over ODI, not a test match. Probably his batting confused you.
BTW, it was a reduced over ODI, not a test match. Probably his batting confused you.
No, Rohit knows his strengths, and played to them. That's the mark of a very good player, and perhaps you ought to recognise that instead of expecting the earth. In the end his SR was well over 100, better than just about anybody else, so you are using the same double standards that you have often derided the others in the past for, when they have castigated Sachin after such knocks.
No, Rohit knows his strengths, and played to them. That's the mark of a very good player, and perhaps you ought to recognise that instead of expecting the earth. In the end his SR was well over 100, better than just about anybody else, so you are using the same double standards that you have often derided the others in the past for, when they have castigated Sachin after such knocks.
Please do feel to show me where I have shown double standards, specially given it was a 29 over match. I didn't expect the earth and if you think the middle overs were par standard, then I'm glad at least you're happy. But that was not the way anyone (includes SRT too just in case you're wondering) should play them in a damn 29 over game. When he came it was just about 20 overs left with 8 wkts and RR of ~6. What was the need for Dravid type stonewalling? BTW, you should give up this obsession of comparing every tom dick and harry with SRT and then asking overrated or underrated or double standard or what not, not a good sign :haha:
BTW, you should give up this obsession of comparing every tom dick and harry with SRT and then asking overrated or underrated or double standard or what not, not a good sign :haha:
A slightly incoherent post, not unusual, given the source. Where did Tom's dick enter the discussion anyway?:finger:
Guest Yograj Singh

Yuvraj has been a little bit disappointing this series, but I am sure he'll turn things around soon and return to his usual big scoring. Keep going Yuvi!

Anakin, I think you're being very harsh on Rohit here. That was a Bombayite innings to the core. Yes, he struggled in the middle overs of the innings. I will not deny that. His game is still young, he (like Rahane) needs to develop his single-taking capability. Then again you also should expect this of young batsmen, particularly from India - most youngsters are excellent at striking boundaries, but struggle to take singles off most other balls. He's good enough to develop it with time. What impressed me was that he didn't lose his head when being bogged down, and made efforts to give the strike to Gambhir who was clearly the better set batsman, more aggressive and more comfortable with the bowling. After Gambhir fell, Rohit played sensibly to ensure India did not lose momentum. Had two wickets fallen quickly with two new batsmen coming in, India's innings could have been derailed by a lot of batsmen coming in and throwing their wickets away for quick runs before getting set. Once he got set, he made up for his slower strike rate early on and played some superb shots - innovated with sweeps, paddles, glides over the keeper and inside out lofts. Whatever he may have cost the side in runs early on, he made up for with his ability to find the boundary after taking his time to get set. If he had taken his time, then let the pressure get to his head and played stupid shots to get out, that could have seriously hurt the team (and his own place) - instead he was cool-headed enough to bat through to the end of the innings, knowing the importance of having a set, comfortable batsman with momentum at that stage. Keep in mind as well that this was his 6th or 7th ODI, and he hadn't totalled 100 runs in ODIs total until then. A fair bit of pressure on him to deliver, as even Dhoni pointed out - MSD made a comment later to the press saying that it's very difficult for new batsmen to set themselves in the team - Rohit went in the game knowing another failure or two could put his place under great threat from Karthik or Raina. Under the circumstances (shortened game with no idea of what a good score was on the pitch, fine bowling attack and the pressure on him to perform), maturity and strokeplay most batsmen his age would not be capable of. This is a kid for the future.

You are still missing the point that at the end overs the slogging was on whether it was RS or anyone else, actually someone like RU could've done it even better. It was the middle overs (and some wayward bowling of course) that cost the match. And not taking too much risk doesn't mean he had to waste 3/4 balls every over for a single, in fact because of that GG had to take too much risk in 1-2 balls he was facing, and it happened in quite a few overs (for about 5 overs the RR was 3.2 or something) which is a lot in a 29 over match. Anyways, it's been some time and I've cooled off too :D