10K 1-day Runs for Rahul Dravid

DesiChap

Re: 10K 1-day Runs for Rahul Dravid The guy has simply transformed his ODI game like none other. The signs were apparent on the '99 NZ tour; during that ODI series - Dravid looked sh*t-hot at times. That 123 @ Taupo in particular was a stunning innings; one in which h was uncharacteristically aggressive and freely hooking and pulling at climbing deliveries. As the years progressed, he became a much fitter cricketer - became much more industrious in his approach, and ran harder for his singles and doubles. I am sure he must have been aware of his limitations as a batsman - he was never going to be a belter of a cricket ball, so he needed to convert every run-scoring chance he got. Back when he started out; he played out too many dots and the innings would stall - fast forward 3 years, and he became a batsman who could be relied upon to keep the scoreboard ticking over at all times. The transformation came full-circle once he donned the wicketkeeping gloves - i recall Sidhu mentioning the change occuring in Dravid's game, when he was actually WINNING matches by taking command of situations as opposed to being a "side-hero" who would play 2nd fiddle to an aggressor. Sidhu was of the opinion that wicketkeeping was what enabled him to see the ball better and become a better judge of a run-scoring opportunity. I'd say that was spot-on...as 2002 turned out to be the pivotal year in Dravid's career - not just as an ODI batsman, but in tests as well; when he first began amassing runs one match after another and made the transistion from a good batsman to a WORLD CLASS batsman. The hot streak was punctuated by that magnificent run of 4 consecutive centuries - a world record at the time. From that point onwards, he has only gone from strength to strength and is now the most prized wicket in the Indian batting lineup. Doesn't score many hundreds (only has 12 to his name), but those 70 odd 50's are worth their weight in gold. If only Laxman could have taken a similar route...he had more strokes than Dravid, much more composure under pressure but instead of WORKING at his game and striving for improvement to establish himself in the squad like Dravid did; he went to the media and chose to sulk. This is why he will never be regarded as anything other than a good player (wasted talent more like) and why Dravid will always be a legend. AT this level, most cricketers are highly skilled (you have to be to get this far, especially if you are an INDIAN batsman). Temperament is the differentiator - it's what separates the good from the great, and Dravid truly is a GREAT.

Re: 10K 1-day Runs for Rahul Dravid

The guy has simply transformed his ODI game like none other. The signs were apparent on the '99 NZ tour; during that ODI series - Dravid looked sh*t-hot at times. That 123 @ Taupo in particular was a stunning innings; one in which h was uncharacteristically aggressive and freely hooking and pulling at climbing deliveries. As the years progressed, he became a much fitter cricketer - became much more industrious in his approach, and ran harder for his singles and doubles. I am sure he must have been aware of his limitations as a batsman - he was never going to be a belter of a cricket ball, so he needed to convert every run-scoring chance he got. Back when he started out; he played out too many dots and the innings would stall - fast forward 3 years, and he became a batsman who could be relied upon to keep the scoreboard ticking over at all times. The transformation came full-circle once he donned the wicketkeeping gloves - i recall Sidhu mentioning the change occuring in Dravid's game, when he was actually WINNING matches by taking command of situations as opposed to being a "side-hero" who would play 2nd fiddle to an aggressor. Sidhu was of the opinion that wicketkeeping was what enabled him to see the ball better and become a better judge of a run-scoring opportunity. I'd say that was spot-on...as 2002 turned out to be the pivotal year in Dravid's career - not just as an ODI batsman, but in tests as well; when he first began amassing runs one match after another and made the transistion from a good batsman to a WORLD CLASS batsman. The hot streak was punctuated by that magnificent run of 4 consecutive centuries - a world record at the time. From that point onwards, he has only gone from strength to strength and is now the most prized wicket in the Indian batting lineup. Doesn't score many hundreds (only has 12 to his name), but those 70 odd 50's are worth their weight in gold. If only Laxman could have taken a similar route...he had more strokes than Dravid, much more composure under pressure but instead of WORKING at his game and striving for improvement to establish himself in the squad like Dravid did; he went to the media and chose to sulk. This is why he will never be regarded as anything other than a good player (wasted talent more like) and why Dravid will always be a legend. AT this level, most cricketers are highly skilled (you have to be to get this far, especially if you are an INDIAN batsman). Temperament is the differentiator - it's what separates the good from the great, and Dravid truly is a GREAT.
Excellent analysis . Instead of sulking everytime he is excluded , Laxman should have retooled himself . Still can't hit the lofted shots which are a must in ODI nowdays.

Re: 10K 1-day Runs for Rahul Dravid Some great points Predz. Hearty congrats to Dravid. Kumble to test cricket is what Dravid is to ODI cricket. Both were considered limited in talent, when they started, but they maximised it, making a late surge in their resp careers far enuff to book a place in the all time lists.

If only Laxman could have taken a similar route...he had more strokes than Dravid, much more composure under pressure but instead of WORKING at his game and striving for improvement to establish himself in the squad like Dravid did; he went to the media and chose to sulk. This is why he will never be regarded as anything other than a good player (wasted talent more like) and why Dravid will always be a legend. AT this level, most cricketers are highly skilled (you have to be to get this far, especially if you are an INDIAN batsman). Temperament is the differentiator - it's what separates the good from the great, and Dravid truly is a GREAT.
EXACTLY what i was trying to say earlier. well put :wtg:

Re: 10K 1-day Runs for Rahul Dravid I tip my hat towards Rahul Dravid. When i first saw him, i thought he was yet another ' fine technician test player who's gonna stuff up in ODIs'. Indeed, he confirmed this view for the first few seasons he played....then he just transformed his game and he is, i must say, the unlikeliest of characters i'd have picked for ODI glory. What i find so magnificient about Dravid is that when he ups the tempo, he doesn't slog, he does it through cultured strokes and classic shotmaking. As if he just suddenly got possessed by the spirit of Viv Richards. Even Tendulkar, Lara, Ganguly or Ponting - all better ODI bats than Dravid in my book- when they raise the tempo, their shotmaking start having some slog strokes and swipes in them...but not Dravid. he is also,easily i might add- the best Indian slip fielder i've ever seen.

Re: 10K 1-day Runs for Rahul Dravid The cover drive and couple of cut shots on the front foot he played against the rookie medium pacer Kulasekara showed all it takes is timing and placements to score runs in a jiff. You can time the ball as hard as you like but if you can't place it you won't get runs.

Predator I thought you were one of those to put Lara and Tendulkar in the legend category and push Dravid to the good but not great category. Did I missing something?
He is an INDIAN batting legend though. A modern day legend too. That much is clear. But if we talk about him as an ALL-TIME great - ie; compared to cricketers from all over the world, from all eras etc, then no. I stil stand by that

Re: 10K 1-day Runs for Rahul Dravid Well done Dravid...great batsman and a real gentleman!

Drvid the 6th person to reach 10' date=000 runs club It is interesting to read how each of them reached this landmark and incidently, Jayasuriya took maximum number of innings to reach there.
Not surprised at all...IIRC for the 1st 3 or 4 years of his career Jayasuriya used to bat at 6 or 7 and carried an average of around 15.

Re: 10K 1-day Runs for Rahul Dravid Dravid?s sixth sense sees him scale Mount 10k ? To me it?s just a number. I derive satisfaction from the fact that I have served the team in many roles, batted in different positions, and did satisfactorily in whatever I?ve endeavoured. MAY 25, 1998: AT THE Wankhede Stadium, India are chasing Bangladesh's 115 and have botched it up. Rahul Dravid has been dismissed for a painstaking 1 run from 29 balls. His critics are saying he's too slow for ODI cricket; to them, ?The Wall? means someone who just pats the ball back defensively He won't cut it, they're saying. . February 14, 2007: Dravid drives Malinga Bandara for a single for his 10,000th run in ODIs. Only five people have been there before: Sachin Tendulkar, Sanath Jaya suriya, Sourav Ganguly, Inza mam-ul-Haq and Brian Lara. They got there faster. Dravid got there stronger. But on Wednesday, Dravid chose to play it down. ?If you play close to 300 games like me, you're bound to have numbers like I do,? he added. ?It is only the ability to do different things that gives me great satisfaction.? ?Cricket has been a journey of selfdiscovery, it has been about maximising my talent, and only proving some points to myself, not to anybody else,? he said. ?I've had my ups and downs and I've learnt from them.? MAKING THE SUPER SIX DRAVID?S GRAPH Matches Runs HS Avg 100s/50s 309 10044 153 40.01 12/77 IN INDIAN WINS 145 5420 153 52.11 8/46 IN INDIAN DEFEATS 149 4292 123* 30.87 4/28 WHEN SETTING A TARGET 152 5772 153 43.72 9/45 CHASING TARGETS 153 4272 109* 35.84 3/32 AS CAPTAIN 61 2168 105 42.50 2/21 AS A PLAYER 248 7876 153 39.38 10/56 How Dravid progressed Matches Runs HS Avg 100s/50s 1 to 50 1395 107 34.87 1/11 51 to 100 1763 145 39.17 5/9 101 to 200 3084 153 39.53 2/22 201 to 300 3439 109* 42.45 4/30 301 to 309 363 78 51.85 0/5 KEY FIGURES 1999 was his best year, when he scored 1761 runs in 43 matches at 46.34, with six centuries and eight fifties. 77 50s His 77 fifties are the most for India ? in fact, only Inzamam-ul Haq (83) has more half-centuries than Dravid in ODIs. 881 4s He has hit 881 fours and 34 sixers in his 10,044 runs.