IPL: The Great auction thread

Feed

As i see' date=' this is likely how the leagues are gonna evolve. Players will strive to play for their national team first, when discarded, IPL and then when retired, ICL.[/quote'] There are some + points and some - in this I think the + are... Players will go all out in performing for their national teams to increase their say in the biddings for these kinda leagues. Players will perform consistently in order to draw attention of the team-owners in the commercial leagues. Players will try to play faster cricket in the interest of their effectiveness for 20-20 and we will get to see some interesting cricket, producing results. I think the - are... Players will develop internal competitiveness amongst fellow players in the national teams, hampering the co-ordination factor. Players will play for themselves rather than in the interest of their national teams. Players will try to give most effective cricket and in this process they will burn out soon. ...

I don't reckon this bidding will get overseas players seeing not everyone gets to make decent enough money. A $100000 is not so much a big money for top cricketers. They would rather stay away than be involved. An overseas player playing for a county in UK makes way more money than what is offered by IPL. Warne stands to make more money playing county cricket than IPL by the looks of it. I don't reckon they are paid just the bidding money. On top of this the players are paid ad revenue and other perks by BCCI. Players aren't stupid to get involved without knowing what they stand to make. I'll try and get more info on this one from good sources.

I don't reckon this bidding will get overseas players seeing not everyone gets to make decent enough money. A $100000 is not so much a big money for top cricketers. They would rather stay away than be involved. An overseas player playing for a county in UK makes way more money than what is offered by IPL. Warne stands to make more money playing county cricket than IPL by the looks of it. I don't reckon they are paid just the bidding money. On top of this the players are paid ad revenue and other perks by BCCI. Players aren't stupid to get involved without knowing what they stand to make. I'll try and get more info on this one from good sources.
How much money do county cricket players in Eng and Aus make? Also, can somebody provide link to the current salaries (minus the ad revenue) for the top flight cricketers?

well if you made international cut by the time the auction was held you are in a different league. i agree that the difference shouldn't be this much. but the team which picked tiwary for 600k deserves him.
I think they should have had a base price of 75000$ for all domestic players. And for all international cricketers the upper cut should have been 3-4 times their base price with ties being broken off by random draws. That way the teams would have been much more balanced. And all teams should have been made to follow the rules. Some teams overshot their budget whereas Jaipur underbid massively.

How much money do county cricket players in Eng and Aus make? Also' date=' can somebody provide link to the current salaries (minus the ad revenue) for the top flight cricketers?[/quote'] I know Rahul Dravid was paid 80,000 pounds for a short season with Scotland couple of years or three ago. Shane Warne made nearly 200000 pounds for a season. County pays the star players well enough. As I said no player is stupid to commit without knowing what he is going to earn. The auction is just a hog wash. The players in particular the star players get paid way more than what the auction suggests.

I know Rahul Dravid was paid 80,000 pounds for a short season with Scotland couple of years or three ago. Shane Warne made nearly 200000 pounds for a season. County pays the star players well enough. As I said no player is stupid to commit without knowing what he is going to earn. The auction is just a hog wash. The players in particular the star players get paid way more than what the auction suggests.
200,000 pounds per season for a top player like warne doesn't seem like a lot, especially looking at it in the context of IPL money for a 44 day season.

I know Rahul Dravid was paid 80,000 pounds for a short season with Scotland couple of years or three ago. Shane Warne made nearly 200000 pounds for a season. County pays the star players well enough. As I said no player is stupid to commit without knowing what he is going to earn. The auction is just a hog wash. The players in particular the star players get paid way more than what the auction suggests.
So here they are getting almost 4-5 times that money and they have to play only 20-20 for 1.5 months. That's an awesome deal.

Correction.... not all of them though. Some of them are heavily under valued.
Yeah true but it's a lot related to how much they will play. Many of the Australian players won't play in 2008. And a retired McGrath and Warne should be happy with 350-400k. Styris will be one unhappy bloke though but if he performs well he might be traded for a lot more. All of these international players should be happy that they are making so much while the owners will be making a big loss. I don't see how this IPL is going to survive alongside international cricket. It will be tough unless a major chunk of 50-50s and T-20s are played in IPL itself. I will be happy though if that happens. We will get rid of a lot of unnecessary ODIs and domestic players will also start making decent money.

200' date='000 pounds per season for a top player like warne doesn't seem like a lot, especially looking at it in the context of IPL money for a 44 day season.[/quote'] The English county does not last more than about 3 months too Yoda but county is definitely way more demanding.

Lee sees auction as pivotal moment When Brett Lee looks back at the Indian Premier League auction in 10 years he will judge it as a "massive landmark" that changed the game. More... IPL will lead to signifcant change - Hayden Lee sees auction as pivotal moment Cricinfo staff February 21, 2008 335508.jpgThe revolution is here, according to Brett Lee © Getty Images When Brett Lee looks back at the Indian Premier League auction in 10 years he will judge it as a "massive landmark" that changed the game. Lee was picked up by the Mohali franchise for US$900,000 during the bidding and is looking forward to "having a bit of fun" whenever he has a chance to appear in the tournament. While Lee, whose participation depends on the tour of Pakistan, is convinced of the importance of the competition, he does not believe it will usurp the game's traditional format. "It's completely different from Test cricket, it's completely different from one-day cricket," Lee said in the Daily Telegraph. "I've always enjoyed putting the baggy green cap on and I've loved playing one-day cricket, but since Twenty20 cricket has come in it's been pretty exciting. To me we take it serious and enjoy it, but it's also having a bit of fun." The auction of players, which was held in Mumbai on Wednesday, was approved by Lee. "It's definitely history," Lee said. "If we look back in 10 years this is going to be a massive landmark in cricket I think. It's a bit like when the World Series started." Matthew Hayden, who was picked up by Chennai for $375,000, said the players were excited to be part of an event that would "ignite cricket". "I get the feeling that the IPL and other Twenty20 competitions will lead to significant changes in cricket, not dissimilar to the way Super 14s has moved rugby forward," Hayden told the Australian. "This is going to have significant implications in the way cricket will be viewed and played. If I was a consumer of the game I'd want to go and see it because it's bloody exciting. It's still got all the skills. When players start to really get amongst this game and start specifically training for it, it can only get better."