IPL: The Great auction thread

Feed

Holy moly! Are you *THE* Amits ? The shuddh-desi loving engineering student from Delhi Amits ?
i am amit, and i am a engineering student from delhi. into 4th yr of b.tech(computer sc & engg) and yes i did used to post as "amits" on some discussion boards earlier, but i am not "the amits"

Icon Players should protest! They were not put to the open market and are earning less then Dhoni. Sachin would have bagged a fortune yet is earning less then Dhoni. The 15% extra the icon would get then the next highest player in their franchise did not work as King sachin is earning less then Dhoni. I have a feeling Icon players may protest as it was unfair! It also made the non icon players wages increase as a result, as teams with non icon players bid very high for free market players as they knew they had no 15% extra to pay to an icon player!

But if sachin had gone on the open market he would have got a fortune. The others got their market value eg the market decided their value. This was not the case with sachin/yuvraj who did not go on the open market and basically had their salary capped. Why were the icons effectivley capped? You may think they are getting enough but they will be slightly peed and think that they should have got their real market worth.

But if sachin had gone on the open market he would have got a fortune. The others got their market value eg the market decided their value. This was not the case with sachin/yuvraj who did not go on the open market and basically had their salary capped. Why were the icons effectivley capped? You may think they are getting enough but they will be slightly peed and think that they should have got their real market worth.
Sachin and Yuvraj were probably more worthy than Symonds and Dhoni and if they had gone into the open market they would have fetched 1.5 million. But still they are making 1.1 million. That's good enough. This while the owners will be making big losses in the first few years. They really have no reason to complain...it's not as if they are being paid less than their real value, they are just being paid less than Dhoni and Symonds. The real trade value of all players can only be judged after 3 years when they might be traded/resigned and also when the owners will have a good idea of whether they can make money.

Sorry to say but it's a stupid post to start. Simple reason is that it doesn't make any sense Business wise as they had to control the spending and whole structure would disturb. One second note no one would pay million dollars for Rahul and Ganguly in 20-20 as they are not sharp fielders or power hitting batsmen.

Guest HariSampath
You mean ALL Icons ? I think Dravid and Ganguly got way above what they deserved. In fact no one would have bid for both had they been on the open market, and as usual the big3 stuck together and in collusion with the board started this "icon scam"

Guest HariSampath
Sachin and Yuvraj were probably more worthy than Symonds and Dhoni and if they had gone into the open market they would have fetched 1.5 million. But still they are making 1.1 million. That's good enough. This while the owners will be making big losses in the first few years. They really have no reason to complain...it's not as if they are being paid less than their real value, they are just being paid less than Dhoni and Symonds. The real trade value of all players can only be judged after 3 years when they might be traded/resigned and also when the owners will have a good idea of whether they can make money.
It is a combination of T20 skills and value as a brand. I agree Yuvraj may have got better than Symonds, but may not have got 1.5 mills as Dhoni is a far bigger brand than Yuvi. Tendulkar's brand value has been steadily down last 1-2 years, and Dravid and Ganguly are practically out of the race as far as commercial endorsements are concerned, many top brands have already dropped Dravid and Ganguly as well as Sachin . This years IPL "icon money" is just a handout purse for Ganguly and Dravid, a kind of retirement benefit package and nothing more should be read into it. Of course both are finished stories as far as ODIs are concerned and will not play again in blue for India.

They should definitely protest. It doesn't matter if 27% of Indians are living below the poverty line, these cricketers need more money! I mean, one million or so dollars for a few weeks work. Talk about a rip off!
Do you know how many humans are below poverty line....

Guest HariSampath
They should definitely protest. It doesn't matter if 27% of Indians are living below the poverty line, these cricketers need more money! I mean, one million or so dollars for a few weeks work. Talk about a rip off!
27% ??? In India around 80% of the population spend Rs 20 per day, that is 50 cents per person daily

I think you are an OZZ as I could see the jealousy and sarcasm in your post. Feel the heat mate we can buy your players on will as we have the money and power. Do not forget Aussies will live on Indian ruppees from now onwards therefore start learning how to respect your employer otherwise you will be out like dog from ziggy...:haha: