Saint Gilly is a cheat

Guest HariSampath

Bowlers and keepers, slips appeal all the time to make the batsman feel uncomfortable, make him think that fielding team is almost getting him out and make him think bowlers have upper hand. This is nothing unusual. There does exist a fine line between appealing for totally absurd things , say for instance a batsman plays a ball to gully and all slips go up in appeal for an LBW...this sort of thing is completely unfounded and umpires CAN report such things. In matters of gamesmanship, I have seen several gambits, a very good one used to be employed by Venkat, the former Indian captain, especially when he played senior league cricket when he was a top Indian player. Sometimes when the batter is hit on the pads , all the close in fielders and 'keeper would go up in appeal, Venkat the bowler wouldnt, and tell them " shut up f***ers...what are you appealing for, he is a seasoned umpire and he knows best"....and in next over, Venkat himself, if he had a reasonably close lbw , would appeal and the umpire would promptly give it out :D

Guest HariSampath

and like I had mentioned in the other thread , my standards of spirit of the game are different. And YES, Gr Vishwanath HAD withdrawn an appeal and recalled Bob Taylor, and that is the standard I was referring to

And I'm not a big fan of what Vishy did. It cost us the match. If a Kumble or a Dhoni does this today, all hell will break lose in the media. I may have to consider Vishy's action more of a diplomatic one than a sportmanship. Sportmen are supposed to go all out and kill the opposition within the rules of the game. The batsman in question here has questioned the umpire's decision thereby bringing the game to disrepute and Vishy has helped him in the cause by agreeing to withdraw the appeal. This is absurd. If you call this as standard - I'm sorry. We dont want such standards.

Guest HariSampath
And I'm not a big fan of what Vishy did. It cost us the match. If a Kumble or a Dhoni does this today, all hell will break lose in the media. I may have to consider Vishy's action more of a diplomatic one than a sportmanship. Sportmen are supposed to go all out and kill the opposition within the rules of the game. The batsman in question here has questioned the umpire's decision thereby bringing the game to disrepute and Vishy has helped him in the cause by agreeing to withdraw the appeal. This is absurd. If you call this as standard - I'm sorry. We dont want such standards.
Like I mentioned earlier, its a question of standards and how you view it. And cricket has changed now, and its more like a profession with even fan following becoming different . In the era that Vishy did it, there was still sporting behavior left and people didnt mind as much. Playing within the rules of the game is fine, but when a batsman genuienly feels that the umpire had genuinely made a mistake, the fielding team captain takes his word, and says " ok, I trust you, Ump made a mistake" and recalls him. Vish didnt recall him, he is always a gentleman who knew both the spirit of the game as well as the letter of the law. He went up to the umpire first, spoke to the bowler next, and also consulted with the senior player gavaskar and finally took his decision.
Gilly cannot withdraw any appeal made..only the fielding team captain can.
But you stated the only reason saint gilly appeals when he knows it is not out, is to put pressure on the batsman and not get them out! I have seem him appeal many a time with mcgrath and warne when it was clearly not out and then when giving out whoop with joy and do high fives with his aussie chums. Strange reaction from someone who is according to you only appealing to put pressure on the batsman and not get them out! Further when he sometimes does not get the decision he wants after some of his ridiculous appeals. Saint gilly then does silly faces of astonishment and shock at the decision to the umpires and sometimes has a chat with them in an attempt to put pressure to get decisions. Strange reactions from your so called honest/saint of a player named gilly.