Harbhajan called "obnoxious little weed"

Feed

Calling Bhajji an obnoxious little weed not bad Australian media projected Hayden's 'obnoxious weed' remark on Harbhajan as nothing more than a 'foolish' comment. More... Posted online: Thursday , February 28, 2008 at 1354 hrs IST Print EmailTo Editor Melbourne, February 28:: Australian media on Thursday projected Matthew Hayden's ‘obnoxious weed’ remark on Indian off-spinner Harbhajan Singh as nothing more than a ‘foolish’ comment which could aggravate the already tense relationship between the two teams. Hayden was let off with just a reprimand by Cricket Australia for the comment on Brisbane radio and the local media defended it saying it was neither rude nor racist. "Matthew Hayden was charged for simply saying what most Australians feel about Harbhajan Singh. What is wrong with calling Harbhajan an obnoxious little weed? It's not racist, it's not all that rude and it's certainly not bad for the game," The Daily Telegraph wrote. The Australian newspaper only described Hayden's comments as ‘foolish’ for openly expressing ‘what many in the Australian team think about Harbhajan. While it was meant to be a light-hearted radio interview, Hayden's lack of diplomacy has poured petrol on a bushfire and has given the Indians something substantial to complain about’. Melbourne's Herald Sun made a scathing attack on Harbhajan, though it also made the point that Hayden was no angel. "It's no surprise Harbhajan Singh is right in the middle of the latest storm. He is a despised character in the Australian dressing room, but it doesn't bother the fiery spinner. He thrives in this combustible atmosphere. While it's not always clear whose side of the story to believe, Harbhajan is always entertaining listening," it wrote. "It's also no surprise to find Matthew Hayden in the mix as well. Hayden is a notorious sledger, and has never backed away from airing his views on the field," the paper said. Another article in the paper seemed to agree to the Indians' view that the world champions were angry that they have been paid in the same coin by the visitors. "What India has shown this summer is that it is not afraid to expose any so-called on-field secrets. Many touring teams have come and left with their tails between their legs. India certainly hasn't, and, in some ways, Australia is not used to this. That's why the world champions sometimes react in anger when things don't go their way. The fuse has been lit. Bring on Sunday," the newspaper said urging the fans not to miss the potentially-explosive finals. The newspaper counselled captain Ricky Ponting to play the role of statesman to prevent the situation going out of hand in the best-of-three title clash. "If there is a fight on hand, he won't shy away from it. To a certain extent, that's what leadership is all about. Leadership, too, is about remaining calm and letting your actions tell the story. Ponting must learn to do this and encourage his men to follow, otherwise the tri-series finals will be lost. Match referee Jeff Crowe must also take control." The Age said, "the bickering sets an unpleasant scene ahead of Sunday's first tri-series final. Already this summer there have been more controversies between the sides than any other tour in history."

I am not talking about the Indian team in this instance. I am talking about its supporters which' date=' in this case, have proven themselves to be hypocritical whingers. They turn a blind eye to one of thier own players calling the opposition team "sh1t," yet expect an opposing player to be punished for labelling one of their own players a weed. How can you claim anything otherwise?[/quote'] Just got to see the video... one reason why it didn't make it big like the Hayden issue was it was not an prolonged & concentrated diatribe like Hayden's.. he made it too short. And he wasn't part of the Indian squad then... otherwise he needed to be punished... this guy talks too much & needs to learn manners & cricket. hypocritical whiners? No. for that to be true you need to show where they said what Sreee said was right. And I don't think it really made it to the aussie media. If it had Sree wouldn't have got away. Even I didn't know about this incident until you pointed out. For example some of Gavaskars comments have snowballed in Aus. It is just that this one didn't get the media attention.
"Matthew Hayden was charged for simply saying what most Australians feel about Harbhajan Singh. What is wrong with calling Harbhajan an obnoxious little weed? It's not racist, it's not all that rude and it's certainly not bad for the game," The Daily Telegraph wrote.
Oh, so now Australians will decide what things are good and what are not? Calling a 19 year old rookie in a boxing ring is eqally correct maybe?
"Matthew Hayden was charged for simply saying what most Australians feel about Harbhajan Singh. What is wrong with calling Harbhajan an obnoxious little weed? It's not racist, it's not all that rude and it's certainly not bad for the game,"
Its not racist and no one claimed it to be. And specific rules of CA & ICC is against denigrating comments. And it wasn't rude? you got to be kidding me! Go say that to peter roebuck. It was evidently bad for the game as it provokes more animosity between the two sides. The writer of the article needs to be such an idiot to come up with a statement like this.
Melbourne's Herald Sun made a scathing attack on Harbhajan, though it also made the point that Hayden was no angel. "It's no surprise Harbhajan Singh is right in the middle of the latest storm. He is a despised character in the Australian dressing room, but it doesn't bother the fiery spinner. He thrives in this combustible atmosphere. While it's not always clear whose side of the story to believe, Harbhajan is always entertaining listening,"
Where is the scathing attack?
Another article in the paper seemed to agree to the Indians' view that the world champions were angry that they have been paid in the same coin by the visitors. "What India has shown this summer is that it is not afraid to expose any so-called on-field secrets. Many touring teams have come and left with their tails between their legs. India certainly hasn't, and, in some ways, Australia is not used to this. That's why the world champions sometimes react in anger when things don't go their way. The fuse has been lit. Bring on Sunday," the newspaper said urging the fans not to miss the potentially-explosive finals.
right on this.
The newspaper counselled captain Ricky Ponting to play the role of statesman to prevent the situation going out of hand in the best-of-three title clash. "If there is a fight on hand, he won't shy away from it. To a certain extent, that's what leadership is all about. Leadership, too, is about remaining calm and letting your actions tell the story. Ponting must learn to do this and encourage his men to follow, otherwise the tri-series finals will be lost. Match referee Jeff Crowe must also take control."
Ricky Ponting? the statesman? If only he had known what that means, and was willing to talk with Kumble we wouldn't be where we are.
Oh' date=' so now Australians will decide what things are good and what are not? Calling a 19 year old rookie in a boxing ring is eqally correct maybe?[/quote'] So you have no problem with one of your own players (Sreesanth) calling the Australians "SH1T" after just one test loss (Perth), yet you take offence at this?
Yes... As I said he wasn't part of the Indian team when He made that comment. SO he wasn't obliged by ICC's code of conduct...
And your point is.... Hayden wasn't playing at the time of his remark, and as such was not obliged by the ICC's conduct. I cannot see what difference it could possibly make.
And your point is.... Hayden wasn't playing at the time of his remark, and as such was not obliged by the ICC's conduct. I cannot see what difference it could possibly make.
No, it does make a difference. Hayden was a part of the team when he made the comment. ICC's code of conduct prohibits one from making public criticism of match incidents and players. One can't be playing and making a public criticism at the same time. On the contrary Sree was not even part of the team. So he wasn't bound by ICC's rules. It is like this if you are a member of team A you can't denigrate any of the opposition team players in Public. If you are not the choice is up to you.
No' date=' it does make a difference. Hayden was a part of the team when he made the comment. ICC's code of conduct prohibits one from making public criticism of match incidents and players. One can't be playing and making a public criticism at the same time. On the contrary Sree was not even part of the team. So he wasn't bound by ICC's rules.[/quote'] Sorry, but I find that ridiculous. The only reason Sreesanth was not in the Indian squad was due to injury. In my opinion, this injury does not give him the right to say whatever he likes. The bottom line is, he has been, and will continue to be, very closely related to the Indian cricket team. As far as I see it, the fact that he was injured or not has no bearing on the situation. As simply as I can put it, this is how I view these events. Hayden makes remarks on an Aussie radiio show. He is reprimanded by CA, and his remarks cause an uproar amongst many Indian cricket fans, who demand he be punished, and that he his comments are totally unacceptable. Sreesanth calls the entire Australian test team sh1t, and nothing happens. No one complains, no reprimand, nothing.
Sorry, but I find that ridiculous. The only reason Sreesanth was not in the Indian squad was due to injury. In my opinion, this injury does not give him the right to say whatever he likes. The bottom line is, he has been, and will continue to be, very closely related to the Indian cricket team. As far as I see it, the fact that he was injured or not has no bearing on the situation.
Go say it to ICC and CA. It is simply what the rule books state. If you can't take it, I can do nothing.
As simply as I can put it, this is how I view these events. Hayden makes remarks on an Aussie radiio show. He is reprimanded by CA, and his remarks cause an uproar amongst many Indian cricket fans, who demand he be punished, and that he his comments are totally unacceptable. Sreesanth calls the entire Australian test team sh1t, and nothing happens. No one complains, no reprimand, nothing.
No one complained because it was not in the news, If it was not for u I wouldn't even have known this. Some of gavaskar's comments have made uproar among aussies because their media brought them the news, this didn't because thge media failed to highlight the news. And No one is stopping aussies from complaining. But the problem is even if they complain they can't take action as he was not part of the Indian team. We both agree what Hayden and Sree said was wrong.The only difference is Hayden was bound by rules not to make such comments while sree wasn't.
Go say it to ICC and CA. It is simply what the rule books state. If you can't take it, I can do nothing. No one complained because it was not in the news, If it was not for u I wouldn't even have known this. Some of gavaskar's comments have made uproar among aussies because their media brought them the news, this didn't because thge media failed to highlight the news. And No one is stopping aussies from complaining. But the problem is even if they complain they can't take action as he was not part of the Indian team. We both agree what Hayden and Sree said was wrong.The only difference is Hayden was bound by rules not to make such comments while sree wasn't.
I can see where you are coming from. But Hayden was ultimately reprimanded by CA, not the ICC. I would find it hard to believe that the BCCI had neither heard of this incedent, yet they took no action against Sreesanth. Anyway, I have no real problem with what both players said. Should they have said it? No. But in the end of the day, when both comments are put in context, who cares? My only problem lies with the some people who abuse Hayden, yet turn a blind eye to what one of their own players has previosuly said.