Bangladesh's Rafique to quit after South Africa Test

Feed

Bangladesh's Mohammad Rafique will quit international cricket after the second and final Test against South Africa starting in Chittagong on Friday. More... CHITTAGONG, February 28: Bangladesh's most successful spinner Mohammad Rafique will quit international cricket after the second and final Test against South Africa starting in Chittagong on Friday. Rafique announced earlier this month he would retire from Test cricket after the series against South Africa, which also includes three One-dayers. "I have decided to quit the cricket as mark of Protest against a group people in the Bangladesh Cricket Board, who do not like to see me in squads," Rafique told a news conference on Thursday. "These officials who did not allow me to play Test cricket for nearly three years, are now back in the board. So I have decided to quit," added the 37-year-old, who has played in 32 Tests and 125 One-Day Internationals. Bangladesh Cricket Board officials were not immediately available for comment. Rafique is two shy of becoming the first Bangladeshi to take 100 Test wickets. Already established as a One-day player, the left-armer played in Bangladesh's inaugural Test in November 2000 against India. However, he was reported to the International Cricket Council for a suspect action soon after and was not recalled to the team until 2002. Rafique was excluded from the One-day tour of Sri Lanka last July and the squad which went to New Zealand in January. He was the first Bangladesh player to complete the double of 100 wickets and 1,000 runs in One-Day Internationals.

For whatever it means to BD, this is the change-of-guard.. Rafique retiring, Bashar dropped... I think at the grassroots level they do have much more talent than what gets shown on the cricket field. Perhaps the occasional rush of blood if tempered by experience and wisdom can make these young cricketers an eventual contender. Ashraful is typical of the current BD player.. started off their career with a slash, boom,bang .. then was found out on a regular basis and is now struggling to carve an identity as a stable player (a la Sehwag?). I liked what I read of their U19 skipper .. Shuvo .. maybe he can fill Rafiques shoes eventually.

For whatever it means to BD, this is the change-of-guard.. Rafique retiring, Bashar dropped... I think at the grassroots level they do have much more talent than what gets shown on the cricket field. Perhaps the occasional rush of blood if tempered by experience and wisdom can make these young cricketers an eventual contender. Ashraful is typical of the current BD player.. started off their career with a slash, boom,bang .. then was found out on a regular basis and is now struggling to carve an identity as a stable player (a la Sehwag?). I liked what I read of their U19 skipper .. Shuvo .. maybe he can fill Rafiques shoes eventually.
are you serious Ashraful averages 20 in test cricket whereas Viru averages 50 ....
are you serious Ashraful averages 20 in test cricket whereas Viru averages 50 ....
I don't want this thread to become a Sehwag one, but sehwag is essentially a hit-or-miss player like Ashraful. If you're arguing purely on statistics, how's the fact that in his 54 tests, he has 34 tests where his score has been less than 25 at an average of 8.10. It's the fact that when he goes over 25, his average increases to the 100s against most countries which inflates his overall average. http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/35263.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=default;runsmax1=25;runsval1=runs;template=results;type=allround
I don't want this thread to become a Sehwag one, but sehwag is essentially a hit-or-miss player like Ashraful. If you're arguing purely on statistics, how's the fact that in his 54 tests, he has 34 tests where his score has been less than 25 at an average of 8.10. It's the fact that when he goes over 25, his average increases to the 100s against most countries which inflates his overall average. http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/35263.html?class=1;filter=advanced;orderby=default;runsmax1=25;runsval1=runs;template=results;type=allround
thats complete hogwash and you know it ... the fact is tha the is more hit or miss than many others ... but when he hits it stays hit ... I cant believe I am the only one pointing this out. Ludicrous comparison