Why is Harbhajan in the test team?

If he has lost his flight then he should go the Irfan Pathan way i.e. out of the team' date=' work hard to get the flight back and then come back if he is good enough for India.[/quote'] yup but the selectors (i think including kumble) dont think thats a problem ... to them he is good enough to play now and I guess replace AK as the prime spinner once AK retires
yup but the selectors (i think including kumble) dont think thats a problem ... to them he is good enough to play now and I guess replace AK as the prime spinner once AK retires
What else can I expect from these men who had sent Parthiv Patel to Australia in 2003/04.

I think Harbhajan is very good in ODIs. I think he can restrict the scoring very well for his 10 overs, and even take the occasional wicket. His fielding has improved, and as seen in the Australian tour, so has his batting. But I always feel that he is being given his place in the Test team in hope of a 2001 Ind. vs. Aus test series-like performance repeated again. I have not seen him test batsmen very much in test cricket for a while now. Obviously Kumble is awesome, and in fact, Kartik has been better than Harbhajan in test matches (whenever he's played). I feel we should try someone else from Harbhajan in test matches for a change and see how they do and hope that his time in domestic cricket can help him regain his flight.

If Bhajji played to get Ponting out then the decision may have been strategic. ok. But what is he doing now in the team? Is he in the team to give interviews after the team wins even though his own performances are below average to just about average?
Considering India are playing in India, where Harbajan thrives with the SG ball, the reason is obvious.
I think Harbhajan is very good in ODIs. I think he can restrict the scoring very well for his 10 overs, and even take the occasional wicket. His fielding has improved, and as seen in the Australian tour, so has his batting. But I always feel that he is being given his place in the Test team in hope of a 2001 Ind. vs. Aus test series-like performance repeated again. I have not seen him test batsmen very much in test cricket for a while now. Obviously Kumble is awesome, and in fact, Kartik has been better than Harbhajan in test matches (whenever he's played). I feel we should try someone else from Harbhajan in test matches for a change and see how they do and hope that his time in domestic cricket can help him regain his flight.
Murali Kartik is by far the unluckiest cricketer. He took 7 in a match against the Aussies at mumbai and restricted them to 93, got dropped. Took a 6-fer in the future cup, got dropped. Politics.
Considering India are playing in India' date=' where Harbajan thrives with the SG ball, the reason is obvious.[/quote'] A player should be judged by his performances overall not just by jis performances against a particular country. Bhajji has failed in a no. of other series too. He has been given more chances than he really deserve. Bhajji's inclusion is more about politics than performance.
Considering India are playing in India' date=' where Harbajan thrives with the SG ball, the reason is obvious.[/quote'] Well he has not exactly set the field on fire in Indian games since 2001. In fact, part times like Harris, and average bowelrs like Kaneria and Panesar, outbowled him in all the recent tours to India.
Well he has not exactly set the field on fire in Indian games since 2001. In fact' date=' part times like Harris, and average bowelrs like Kaneria and Panesar, outbowled him in all the recent tours to India.[/quote'] Even Sehwag looked a better bowler than him in the tests in Australia.
Murali Kartik is a far better bowler then Harbhajan Singh. I think the only reason he played in the tests Down Under is because of the 'Guarantee' that he'd get Ponting out. Ponting's scared to bets of him :D. That, and his batting! It was amazing! :)
Actually Bhajji should not have played against Australia even if he gets the wicket of Ponting. Australia is a championship team and not a team like India of 1990's which relied on Tendulkar. Like in Melbourne test 2007Ponting had an aggregate of 7 runs but even then Australia won the match by a huge margin of over 300 runs.Where as in the Adelaide test 2004 Poning scored a double century but even then Australia lost the match.