India has abundant talent, says Chappell

Feed

"Some of the ideas like the young players using heavier bats needs to be addressed at some levels," he said. More... India has abundant talent, says Chappell Press Trust Of India Chennai, March 10, 2008 First Published: 22:07 IST(10/3/2008) Last Updated: 22:08 IST(10/3/2008) Former Indian Cricket Coach Greg Chappell today refrained from commenting on India's one-day series win in Australia but harped on the talent available in large numbers in the country. Chappell, who had lived in India for about an year with Bangalore as his base, emphasised the need to shift from the "old practices" in Indian cricket. "Some of the ideas like the young players using heavier bats needs to be addressed at some levels," he said. Refusing to answer any question on the current Indian team's performance in his country recently, he said "I did not see a great deal of their action in Australia. I would focus on the job on hand. I am here for a specific work. No comments." He also did not comment on the IPL and ICL. Chappell, presently coach of the Rajasthan Cricket Academy, assessed a bunch of cricketers to enroll them for Reebok cricket Star Twenty-20. "It all comes down to the development programme," he said. "Modern cricket is very demanding. If we prepare them with the right mixture of programmes, especially at a young age, they will be able to carry out the work load, particularly the fast bowlers. Right programmes at an early age will help curb injuries at later stage of their career," On the programme, Chappell said "24 boys will be shortlisted. They will under-go a ten day camp in Jaipur under a programme devised by physical trainer, Ian Fraser." He said there was an abundance of talent in India. "We have players in very large numbers. But only a few could stand out after the hard grind, which needed to be put in for gaining excellence," he added.