Team for Ahmedabad - 2nd Test

Maybe I was unfair to Alter. Dileep suggests on his blog that Ishant won't be risked, particularly with Kumble half-fit, as India simply can't afford another bowler breaking down in the course of the match. Now guys, I may not be the best doctor in the world, seeing as I spend most of my time on this board while I should be reading journals (trying to suck out the bit of the scalp that my wife bashed in with a rolling-pin), but even I have a rough idea as to how long it should take for a swollen finger and a bruised toe to heal, and it's way past that mark for Ishant. What's this talk of breaking down then? It's not as if he has a career-threatening back or shoulder injury. There are only two possibilities. The think-tank is bent on going with three spinners (or two, if Kumble is injured), and won't select Ishant, or Ishant himself is not up to it, pulling a "Munaf Patel" on us. If it's the first, think what it says about the team leaders' faith in our pace bowlers. Here was this guy being hailed as the next great quick by connoisseurs the world over, and only a month later he is being made to warm the bench behind a rookie spinner who has played precisely one Test. Whatever the state of the pitch, it says volumes about how India regards its pace bowlers- a luxury, a convenience, the equivalent of a travelling napkin to be discarded when you get home. If it's the second, may I remind you of what McGrath did in that fateful Ashes series in 2005? He turned his ankle, was advised by every doctor on the land not to play, and confounded everybody by demanding that he did. Now Ishant may not enjoy McGrath's status in the side, but if he is really keen and shows form and willingness in the nets, it's a message that the captain will find impossible to ignore. Is it the lure of the ensuing IPL that's holding Ishant back? Players will be paid on a pro-rata basis for the matches they play in IPL. Hence injuries mean loss of big money, running into hundreds of thousands of dollars. Is this acting at the back of Ishant's mind? Whatever the reality is, Indian cricket's rosy hue in the wake of the Aussie series has turned a dirty grey shade- the colour of muck. Those of us that were incorrigible optimists a month ago, are looking for a pillar to hide behind. Being long suffering fans of this side, we should have really seen this coming.

Whatever the reality is, Indian cricket's rosy hue in the wake of the Aussie series has turned a dirty grey shade- the colour of muck. Those of us that were incorrigible optimists a month ago, are looking for a pillar to hide behind. Being long suffering fans of this side, we should have really seen this coming.
You should have seen it coming, yes. Especially with IPL out to spoil Test cricket totally.