mickey arthur and the Kanpur track.

umpire

Lurker, tipping the curator is not anything new. If you go by this news piece, its been a long tradition in Indian cricket. http://www.zeenews.com/articles.asp?aid=436718&sid=ARC
Bumper, From the article that I quoted both Dhoni and Kumble have been alleged to pass on the money because of creation of "turning tracks". This is clearly not the same as just sharing money with the curator. I mean how many times have we read this before? And did Dhoni/Kumble send some mullah the curator's way after 2nd Test?? If its a practise then I am sure most of us cricket fans dont know much about it(not saying it doesnt exist).
Bumper, From the article that I quoted both Dhoni and Kumble have been alleged to pass on the money because of creation of "turning tracks". This is clearly not the same as just sharing money with the curator. I mean how many times have we read this before? And did Dhoni/Kumble send some mullah the curator's way after 2nd Test?? If its a practise then I am sure most of us cricket fans dont know much about it(not saying it doesnt exist).
Actually, BCCI director (or whoever it was) said that money was given to the curator of the Ahmedabad pitch.
In our culture, low profile workers (curators belong to that category), expect to be tipped for their services. May be, this has been the tradition for years, in our cricket, one that we havent heard about till date. Nikhil Chopra's words suggest that tipping is a 'matter-of-fact' gesture in our cricket. I also dont think, Dhoni is stupid enough to risk his team's & his own integrity, getting himself involved in something that could be perceived as bribery (one that ICC/BCCI could investigate into). This may be one of those typical tipping practises (similar to tipping a barber after a haircut or a waiter after a meal). Nikhil's reaction that "Dhoni should have been more generous", only confirms that Dhoni was simply giving the curator his dues, in this instance, far less than his dues.