Steve Waughs all time great Aussie ODI side

Sooda

Re: Steve Waughs all time great Aussie ODI side

How can we forget that unbelievable delivery from Waugh to Brian Lara in 96 world cup. The ball swung very late and hit the timber just when everyone was thinking that WI won
even michael vaughan once tooik wkt of tendulkar, is he a good bowler then???? well giving such support to ur answer doesnt really help..
Vaughan's dismissal of Tendulkar should not be compared to Waugh's dismissal of Lara. First, Waugh was a regular bowler for a good part of his career. If you're watching cricket for long time, you'd know that Waugh was the initial set of bowlers who started slower ones in ODIs Waugh was a speciailist depth bowler with change of pace, yorkers etc. These are all quite well known. Now onto your cricketing lesson test, is Waugh a better bowler?

Re: Steve Waughs all time great Aussie ODI side

steve waugh was instrumental in winning 87 WC and was perhaps best all rounder at that time... and in 1999 WC, that innings against SA under pressure..remember if they had lost that game.. they were out of the tournament.. For me S. Waugh any day for Hussey..
yep.. and that was 120 from 110 balls.. and ppl say he cant hit :shrug:

Re: Steve Waughs all time great Aussie ODI side I can't believe some people are staunchly disagreeing on Hussey's inclusion. Face facts people - there has never been a single batsman in the history of the game who was so destructive right from the moment his career began. Hussey scores runs at break neck speed, he is a speedy runner between the wickets, he plays every shot in the book and has bailed Australia out of trouble on numerous occasions (examples to be provided on request). For what it's worth; he is a fantastic fielder as well. Whilst i do agree that it is somewhat premature to rank him amongst the greatest Australian cricketers; one cannot deny that he is undoubtedly one of the most gifted players to represent Australia. He has sustained a 60+ average over 61 ODIs - a feat absolutely UNHEARD of !! I can understand a fluke run over 20 matches or so, but to average in the 70's over 50 matches or so is remarkable. In some circles in Australia, people are already proclaiming him as a better batsman than Michael Bevan. By the time he finishes his career; i wouldn't be surprised if they were right. Steve Waugh; for all his quality as a leader and a gritty batsman - ultimately cannot be compared to a batsman like Hussey. An average of 32 over 300 ODI's at an SR of 72 would be mediocre by today's standards.

Re: Steve Waughs all time great Aussie ODI side Greg Chappel averaged 40 at an SR of 75. That against some darn good bowling. In terms of quality he is far better than any batsman in that 11...the question is if he is a good enough ODI bat...by modern standards... took 70 wkts at average of 30. not bad. Chappel/MW at slips, Punter at cover, Jones, Hussey, Bevan prowling about...