Prudent franchises reaping dividends

bobbydhillon

The property here is the franchise, the dilapidated house being Dravid and BCCI is the Govt.
That's where you arer completely wrong. There were franchises on sale which did not have icon players but Mallaya and Ambani CHOSE to buy the ones with star value at much higher prices.

Guest HariSampath
That's where you arer completely wrong. There were franchises on sale which did not have icon players but Mallaya and Ambani CHOSE to buy the ones with star value at much higher prices.
Thats because of the bidding dynamics and also because the city franchises in those cities were what mattered to their business interests. Same way India cements bid for Chennai and Deccan chronicle for Hyd franchise.

Thats because of the bidding dynamics and also because the city franchises in those cities were what mattered to their business interests. Same way India cements bid for Chennai and Deccan chronicle for Hyd franchise.
See you have you answer. Despite the presence of icon players, or rather partly because of their presence the franchises are more marketable in certain cities, thus a profit making exercise. Having Ganguly as your icon player in Calcutta or Tendulkar in Bombay is huge in terms of commercial interest and well worth the million bucks paid for them even if they don't score a single run. These shrewd businessmen realized it and happily put down the money.

See you have you answer. Despite the presence of icon players' date=' or rather partly because of their presence the franchises are more marketable in certain cities, thus a profit making exercise. Having Ganguly as your icon player in Calcutta or Tendulkar in Bombay is huge in terms of commercial interest and well worth the million bucks paid for them even if they don't score a single run. These shrewd businessmen realized it and happily put down the money.[/quote'] This is what I've been saying all along. IPL is NOT just about cricket. There are many other things through which IPL has to market itself and make itself popular, then create a fan base. And then only it'll enter the ruthless world of all the franchises demanding victories only. That day is quite far from now and by then Sachin or Dravid or Ganguly might have stopped playing cricket.

Guest HariSampath
See you have you answer. Despite the presence of icon players' date=' or rather partly because of their presence the franchises are more marketable in certain cities, thus a profit making exercise. Having Ganguly as your icon player in Calcutta or Tendulkar in Bombay is huge in terms of commercial interest and well worth the million bucks paid for them even if they don't score a single run. These shrewd businessmen realized it and happily put down the money.[/quote'] No No..you got me wrong, when I referrd to city bases and these companies, I was referring to the fact that these companies are based from those cities, like Reliance in Mumbai, UB in Bangalore etc, It was not because Tendulkar is from Mumbai or Dravid is from Bangalore that these companies bid for the city franchises, but because these companies were from those cities.... ( Note : If any further proof is needed, just see Mallya talking about Dravid openly...if at all the Franchises thought that these Icons were the "star crowd pullers" for their city teams , this theory is out of the window...Mallya doesnt give a damn about Dravid being from Bangalore or anything, he just wants his team to win and he is openly saying his "icon" Dravid has screwed up bigtime and he sucks" )

Guest HariSampath
This is what I've been saying all along. IPL is NOT just about cricket. There are many other things through which IPL has to market itself and make itself popular, then create a fan base. And then only it'll enter the ruthless world of all the franchises demanding victories only. That day is quite far from now and by then Sachin or Dravid or Ganguly might have stopped playing cricket.
Chandan, Just see the ugly public spat in the BRC team where the owner Mallya has called Dravid being entrusted with team building as his biggest mistake and has squarely blamed him for BRC's dismal performance. Do you think Mallya will speak in such a tone about his "star" publicly if he and his company were dependent on Dravid's "star value" or for that matter his advertising potential ? NO. To Vijay Mallya his company and team representing his company is far more important than the locally based Dravid....and it appears as if he had the choice he would have gladly got rid of Dravid....all that he wanted was a T20 Bangalore franchise...and because Dravid was forced down his throat by BCCI he swallowed it, but now it is absolutely clear that Mallya would have happily gone for a Bangalore MINUS Dravid, rather than being forced to take Dravid for 3 million dollars plus. IPL franchises are NOT based on the local star / city concept alone...they are dependent on the Local company/city team / winning concept.....and as I had mentioned earlier in this thread...NO player in India has a city connect among the Icons EXCEPT Sourav Ganguly in Kolkatta....the local boy/city fan base theory hold no water.

No No..you got me wrong, when I referrd to city bases and these companies, I was referring to the fact that these companies are based from those cities, like Reliance in Mumbai, UB in Bangalore etc, It was not because Tendulkar is from Mumbai or Dravid is from Bangalore that these companies bid for the city franchises, but because these companies were from those cities....
So what you are saying is that these companies shelled out tens of millions of dollars to buy franchises which might suck just for the reason that they are based out of the cities they are from? I'd give them a bit more business sense that that. True, their franchises would be more marketable in certain in certain geographies compared to others but most of these companies have enough presence throughout in India that they would not suffer losses just for the sake of it. And icon players are part of their success strategy. These are hugely popular cricketers who bring a lot of crowds in, and although a million bucks might sound a lot to pay for the T20 skills of Ganguly and Dravid, in the end its a tiny fraction of the cost on purchasing the franchise and they might not bring a lot in terms of cricket but will bring in the crowds making these franchises profitable. It's wrong to think of the million bucks as being paid to these icon players only for their cricketing skills.

Why did Mallaya want only the Bangalore franchise? He could have easily taken Jaipur's for a substanially lower cost and no icon player. He wanted the draw of Dravid and Kumble on home ground and saw it as a good investment and happily shelled out the money. Everyone will complain and not be happy when the team does not do well. Mallaya has fired Charu Sharma. Why doesn't he go ahead and fire Dravid if he thinks his franchise can retain the same popularity without Dravid?

Shwetabh, or that Mallya bid for Bangalore & Mumbai because they are popular metros. Owning Jaipur (even if it had a star such as Tendulkar) is vastly diff from owning a franchise in Mumbai, where cricket is much more marketable. I'd squarely blame Mallya for the team selection, but not for picking Bangalore or Mumbai.

Shwetabh, or that Mallya bid for Bangalore & Mumbai because they are popular metros. Owning Jaipur (even if it had a star such as Tendulkar) is vastly diff from owning a franchise in Mumbai, where cricket is much more marketable. I'd squarely blame Mallya for the team selection, but not for picking Bangalore or Mumbai.
Yeah, that too would be a reason, but then Jaipur's price was also much lower than Bangalore and Bombay.

Guest HariSampath
So what you are saying is that these companies shelled out tens of millions of dollars to buy franchises which might suck just for the reason that they are based out of the cities they are from? I'd give them a bit more business sense that that. True' date=' their franchises would be more marketable in certain in certain geographies compared to others but most of these companies have enough presence throughout in India that they would not suffer losses just for the sake of it. And icon players are part of their success strategy. These are hugely popular cricketers who bring a lot of crowds in, and although a million bucks might sound a lot to pay for the T20 skills of Ganguly and Dravid, in the end its a tiny fraction of the cost on purchasing the franchise and they might not bring a lot in terms of cricket but will bring in the crowds making these franchises profitable. It's wrong to think of the million bucks as being paid to these icon players only for their cricketing skills.[/quote'] See the points in the order of priority, if I were Mallaya this is how I would have thought.... 1. I have $100 millions to spend on cricket , and so I will get a franchise in IPL 2. I would like to get Bangalore or Mumbai because thats my business/company base 3. IF possible I would have liked to buy Bangalore MINUS Dravid, but as he is a forced pick, I still think Bangalore is worth it as a city team for me. 4. I entrust Dravid with 5 millions and give him a list of players to pick....he picks his own team 5. Dravid screws up bigtime in the matches with his batting and captaincy, so I am stuck with this deadweight....ppl are calling my choices and judgments as a loser, I cannot be seen as a "losing CEO" as it will have adverse affect on my company...and so I come out in public and squarely blame the man responsible for this team's debacle; one who was stuffed down my throat; Rahul Dravid...since he is the real culprit. And dont forget...its not too far away for Dravid being forced to drop himself from the 11....just a couple of humiliating defeats and it is very much on.

1. I have $100 millions to spend on cricket , and so I will get a franchise in IPL
Not to spend, but invest.
2. I would like to get Bangalore or Mumbai because thats my business/company base
Plus, the fact they are metros and plus the fact that they come assured with hugely popular cricketers like Dravid, Kumble(more or less), or Tendulkar.
3. IF possible I would have liked to buy Bangalore MINUS Dravid, but as he is a forced pick, I still think Bangalore is worth it as a city team for me.
That's just your opinion. Fact is Mallaya bought Bangalore with Dravid, the rest is your speculation.
4. I entrust Dravid with 5 millions and give him a list of players to pick....he picks his own team
Not entirely. Dravid was not there for the second round of auctions.
Dravid screws up bigtime in the matches with his batting and captaincy, so I am stuck with this deadweight
No you're not. Fire him with a severance package o $3 million and get someone else.

Here are the answers of few of our questions: HT had some FAQs on the IPL for M.P. Pandove, the League's co-chairman: Can a player be sacked? If so, what compensation/notice is required on either side? The franchise is free to play any player of their choice in the team, but they can't sack anyone. The player's contract can't be terminated midway. A player can be sacked only on disciplinary grounds, and that by the IPL, not the franchise. Can a captain be sacked/ replaced mid-season for reasons other than injury? Replacing a captain is the franchise's call. But no player can be sacked, they may not pick him in the playing XI or even 15, but his contract remains intact till expiry period. What happens if an icon player voluntarily steps down as captain for reasons other than injury - does he lose his icon status? Technically, icon status is related more to the salary than to the status. He would continue to get that salary and hence the icon status too doesn't change. If an icon is replaced now or over the next two seasons what would he be valued at? (Currently, icons get up to 15% more than the most expensive player in their team) Now, since the icon status has more to do with the salary and the franchise can't terminate the contract before its expiry, he continues to get 15% more than what the second highest paid player gets. Hence, his icon status also remains unchanged. Can an icon be transferred next season? Once the transfer window opens, everyone can be bought and sold, including the icons and they would continue to get the same salary . Is there a football-like loan system, where a player can be "borrowed" for a fixed period? No. Is there a mid-season window for transfers in the IPL and if not, will there be one next season? (The EPL, for instance, has two windows) No mid-season windows. Subhash Rajta ----------------------------------------------------------------- So we see that an icon status has just to do with salary and nothing to do with captaincy. So who appointed Dravid the captain of the BRC? Has to be Mallya himself. Who entrusted the power to him to pick the team? Has to be Mallya himself. Hence who is to be blamed? Mallya and only Mallya.