I want Sachin to play against us: McGrath

Chandan

I want Sachin to play against us: McGrath I want Sachin to play against us: McGrath May 10, 2008 18:04 IST Missing his long time on-field rival Sachin Tendulkar [images], retired Australian fast bowler Glenn McGrath hopes to bowl at the master batsman when Delhi Daredevils and Mumbai Indians face off again in the Indian Premier League (IPL). "Hopefully, Sachin will be fit in the next match. I wish him best of luck," the legendary pacer told PTI. Talking on the sidelines of a fashion event in the capital on Friday night, McGrath said the Mumbai team was dearly missing Tendulkar. "If Sachin comes to the Mumbai side, it will add extra pressure on the rival team as the little champion has the capability to win matches on any given day, he said. The Australian said the Delhi Daredevils was a balanced side and was one of the strong contenders for the title. "We have a good combination of youth and experience. Losing the last match against Chennai felt bad but we played some good cricket," said McGrath. Delhi Daredevils captain Virender Sehwag [images] exuded confidence that his side would lift the IPL title. "We have performed very well till now and the boys are enjoying the IPL format. We are sure that we will win the IPL," he said. -------------------------------------------------- Wow! So Warne wanted Sachin out of the team but McGrath wants to face him?

These are battles? These kind of contrived clashes between two greats, one past, and one in the sunset of his career, make me feel incredibly sad. It reminds me of the incredible nights of blinking away slumber, crouched over a cup of tea, hardly daring to breathe as Pidge ran in to Sachin, India tottering on 22 for 2, with luminaries such as MSK Prasad back in the pavilion. Then the ecstacy, as Sachin plays one of his trademark drives, the ground erupts, Pidge simply stands akimbo, one arm on the hip, staring...you can almost read those steel blue eyes. They are saying, " Next time...next time sucker, I'll get you, if it's the last thing I ever do." And more often than not, he did. To bring back the epiphany of those incredible moments of unbearable, adrenalin filled existing on the edge as you shook like a leaf, waiting to live or die based on what those geniuses did out in the middle, fighting for their respective nations, and comparing that with this sad, sad contrived charade is just...tragic. The very last of the summer wine has been downed, the party is over, the band has gone home, 'tis time to wake up and realise that the magic of those moments can ever only live once, my friends. Do not sully those memories by looking for cheap imitations.