Pathan

Re: Pathan Irfan can still swing it for India, says Waqar Gaurav Gupta Friday, March 09, 2007 00:08 IST MUMBAI: Irfan Pathan can take heart from this. The left-arm medium-pacer, going through a low phase in his career after having begun with a bang, is held in high esteem by none other than Waqar Younis. In fact the Burewala Bomber, who was Pakistan?s bowling coach till a couple of months back, feels that chances India have of excelling in the World Cup hinge largely on whether Irfan fires ? with the ball, that is. ?India are struggling with their pace attack. The fast bowlers are inexperienced, barring Zaheer. If Pathan gets into form and bowls well, India have got a chance of going very far in the World Cup,? Waqar, participating in a talent hunt reality show CricketStar, said on Thursday. ?Look he is a smart bowler. Even if he is bowling at 120 km an hour, as long as he is mixing it up, it is okay. Please understand, every player who has gone to the West Indies wants to do well. Nobody has gone there as a tourist,? Waqar, who picked up 416 wickets in one-dayers and played in three World Cups, said. According to Waqar, Pathan?s problem has been prolonged due to too much assistance. ?Irfan has received far too much advice. Some coach tells him to bowl this way, and some other coach tells him to do exactly the opposite. The media has also put too much pressure on him,? Waqar said, while adding that his remedy was simple. ?Giving any advice to him now would be dangerous. He should be left alone. He should have been told to just go and play the way he wants to. Show him some old footage of his bowling. That should do the trick,? Waqar said. Waqar, who captained Pakistan in the last edition of the World Cup, said India will do well this time. ?I was in the West Indies recently. The wickets there look like they will turn. That gives India, who have the best spin attack in the event, a good chance to take the Cup. In fact, teams from the sub-continent, like Pakistan and Sri Lanka have a good chance due to this factor,? Waqar said. Predictions, though, are not his cup of tea. ?It is very difficult to predict the winner. Till a month ago, everybody thought Australia would run away with it. They are down with injuries. They will miss Brett Lee.?Waqar refused to discuss Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif. ?Let us leave them behind,? he quipped. ---------------------------------------------------------------- Somehow I agree with the theory of Pathan receiving too much advice from several great bowlers, hence becoming a classic case of "too many cook spoil a broth"! But doesn't it tell us that we need a full time bowling coach to guide our young bowlers? Otherwise many are in danger of getting distracted and confused like Pathan?

Re: Pathan

aiight, i know he isnt in the best of form, and his bowling is pretty bad atm but i've been thinking about this.. wanna know what u guys feel... if he pick pathan in the team as the 3rd seamer...(3 seamers, 1 spinner), then consider this even if he can bowl 6 overs at a reasonable rate, then we have sachin, sehwag, ganguly, and yuvaj to bowl something like 14 overs between them.. 14 overs between 4 part timers aint that bad.. that way, we get pathan as a batsman too.. we can send him at something like #4 or #5 , then we have a huuuuge batting line up.. imagine some1 like dhoni coming in at #8... we probably wont bowl out teams cheaply, but i'd back us to chase down any damn target ps-> ever thought of going into a game with 11 batsmen? i mean, anyone can bowl thoda thoda, like in the eden gardens test where ponting and hayden were bowling.. it wouldnt be so bad.. batsmen would go to hit each ball, and make a mistake soon! maybe its 4AM and i need sleep :doh:
dhoni coming at 8 is a huge waste of talent