Ojha’s selection hailed

HYDERABAD: “Hey champ. Just heard you are selected to National team. Brilliant news. Well done. Very proud of you. Gilly,†said Adam Gilchrist’s SMS on Pragyan Prayash Ojha’s call-up to the Indian team for the Asia Cup in Pakistan and the tri-series in Bangladesh. The hard-hitting Aussie, as Deccan Chargers’ skipper, had effusively praised the southpaw. “Half the work’s done mate,†Gilchrist said in admiration, after Ojha accounted for Yuvraj Singh and M.S. Dhoni, the latter falling prey to the left-arm spinner’s guiles twice. “Unlike in Tests, there’s little room or time to plot dismissals of batsmen in the T20 format,†says Ojha. “The first priority is to bowl in the right areas and everything else falls into place,†is his credo for cricket’s abridged version. He was also quite flattered when the ace stumper came up to him frequently to know what kind of a field was to be set. Ojha is indebted to his Chargers, Ranji and Duleep Trophy skipper V.V.S. Laxman, who was elated on hearing the news. “All his consistent performances and hard work have been rewarded,†said the wristy stylist. Laxman paid rich compliments to the finger spinner, ‘who, for one so young had shouldered the responsibility of being Hyderabad’s spin spearhead for three seasons, almost single-handedly.’ “Pragyan is Hyderabad’s strike bowler and a key member of the side. The control he shows on his flight with three or four variations is amazing,†the conqueror of Steve Waugh’s Australia in Calcutta said. It was only a matter of time before he came into national reckoning, he added. A Bhubaneswar-native, Pragyan, influenced by uncle Nurshing Choudhary, switched from medium pace to spin on Orissa coach Shashank’s advice and honed his craft under Vijay Paul in Hyderabad. His rise was swift as he claimed 23 wickets for Hyderabad’s under-22 category, followed by a 55-wicket haul that made his side the National champion in 2003. His Ranji hauls included seven wickets against Railways in his 2004 debut season, his career-best bag being seven for 114 against Rajasthan. His elevation to the Board President’s XI against England was followed by tours with India A to Kenya, Zimbabwe and South Africa. His minor county stint with Slathwait, Huddersfield saw his batting improve by leaps and bounds, what with overseas professionals expected to deliver on all fronts. His biggest challenge was Yusuf Pathan’s ouster in the IPL. After the latter carted him for a couple of sixes, Ojha engineered his exit to have the last laugh.

very happy for Ohja especially since hes from a backward state of Orissa. This guy has it in him its important for him to not get carried away by guys like Harbhajan and Chawla. I saw it in Ohja ever since he cleaned bowled Ganguly in Eden Garden during the IPL. Good luck Ohja i hope you do well.

Nice gesture by Gilchrist, as usual. I'm quite happy for him as well. More than getting Sourav's wicket, I was impressed by how he kept Dhoni quiet in the first game against Chennai. He only gave away 3 runs and beat his bat and beat him in air quite a few times. I hope he does well for India - certainly an encouraging prospect.