Salil, Uninterrupted, on Rohit

Zaheer needed a longer period of rehab after that injury. It was a horrific injury. Hayden's participation came during Australian cricketers' traditional off season. Off seasons need to be respected to give your body time to recover and recuperate, particularly as you grow older.
Then what about India whose players never get an off season? Why don't we blame international cricket cricket there? And Hayden was struggling with his fitness since during the Austraklian summer itself when he had to sit out of the third test. That was just the 5th test of their season which he missed. So, I'm not going to blame 4 T20 games for Hayden not playing in West Indies.
But will Yusuf Pathan EVER be a model cricketer? He had his moments under the sun during the IPL. But who remembers those heroics now? Those who'll take him as their role models will be fools and hence it is better that the brainless cricketers stay at the league level. Yes, you get influenced and almost wiped out under the wave of an IPL. But how long is that for? Just 6 weeks. Even an India's tour to Australia is longer than it and hype for that series was much more than what we had for IPL. Everyone has forgotten IPL, but has even media forgotten the Sydney test, Perth test, Sehwag's knock at Adelaide and our CB series win? No. They haven't. We still see them mentioning those, however hardly anyone is mentioning IPL achievements. If fewer children opt to become test cricket, it is better because they will have only one aim and that is to excel in the format which really tests a cricketer--batsman or bowler. They won't get distracted by petty things, won't leave their fitness regime while basking in momentary glory and will be determined to do better and better. We need those kind of players not the weak hearted ones who are swept over by hype, money, glamour, praise etc etc. Test cricket calls for such determined cricketers with excellent temperament. We'll be benefited.
chandan..those few who are more committed towards their dream to do well at highest level...need money... a cricketer plays for 12-14 years MAX at highest level...and what does it earn? everyone wants a good life...more the merrier....so whats wrong if a valuable test player plays for 45 days ..bowls 4 overs or bat for 20 overs..and earn 4-5 crores in return.? i would not mind players missing 3-4 tests or 12-15 ODIs due to injury..if the player earned 4-5 crores by playing in IPL. The security in life...will enable players to concentrate more on important Tests .. we need sachin..zaheer....Hayden...Smith etc in Tests..and would not want them to waste their energy in IPL... if we are to preserve Test cricket..and want best talent for Test cricket...then we will have make Test cricket more rewarding... Rewards in terms of Money.rewards in terms of Recognition...

You are a bit contradicting yourself, TGIB. We are no one to decide anything for a player. He felt the need to play IPL and played it, be it a Sachin or Smith or Dhoni or Zaheer or Hayden or Raina, Gambhir, Rohit etc. The question was whether few people will even look to do the hard yards and prepare themselves for playing the test cricket which is a much bigger challenge, after getting their pockets full. Well, I gave my answer in this thread. Test players are special breed, be they in whichever generation. They'll have enough motivation to prove themselves at this level even if they are fully secured on the financial front.

You are a bit contradicting yourself, TGIB. We are no one to decide anything for a player. He felt the need to play IPL and played it, be it a Sachin or Smith or Dhoni or Zaheer or Hayden or Raina, Gambhir, Rohit etc. The question was whether few people will even look to do the hard yards and prepare themselves for playing the test cricket which is a much bigger challenge, after getting their pockets full. Well, I gave my answer in this thread. Test players are special breed, be they in whichever generation. They'll have enough motivation to prove themselves at this level even if they are fully secured on the financial front.
yeah... we will always have some players who would want to make a mark for themselves in the history book.. but that would remain as long as we the Fans and ICC remain committed to the supremacy of Test cricket. till now Test cricket is THE REAL GAME...to test the skills and temperament of a player... and you are right that people still talk about perth and sydney... and none cares about IPL..for the time being. but given the importance of finance in the running of the game..if we in future start giving more importance to ODIs and performances of 20-20 games... and the benchmark becomes the performances in ODIs and 20-20..then the test cricket will die its natural death slowly and painfully.. as then Test cricket will no longer be the ULTIMATE platform to showcase the skills, temperament and tenacity.
[but given the importance of finance in the running of the game..if we in future start giving more importance to ODIs and performances of 20-20 games... and the benchmark becomes the performances in ODIs and 20-20..then the test cricket will die its natural death slowly and painfully.. as then Test cricket will no longer be the ULTIMATE platform to showcase the skills, temperament and tenacity.
When that day will come, we should debate it then. Till now everything is fine. So I wonder why should we speculate for the negative! If after 20 years no one has time to watch test cricket or play test cricket or even invest in test cricket, the game will die. One just can't say this was responsible for it oir that was responsible for it. But I'm sure that it won't happen during my lifetime. PS: Where is Fineleg? No views from her as yet!!