Salil, Uninterrupted, on Rohit

Without so much as by your leave, here's an email from one of the most gifted writers on cricket, amateur or professional, rebutting my negativism on Rohit Sharma. Read and marvel. Maybe this is what Gambo meant by living up to the ideals of Test cricket in our writing. You can see why he expects the earth of you guys, can't you? About 18 months ago at one of my wine tasting group's blind dinners, a bottle of the inaugural release of a top Californian red wine (the 2004 Lillian Syrah) was poured. About half of us were were very impressed by it (this was blind - i.e. label hidden, identity unknown - so we were judging it just based on what was in the glass, rather than letting a label, price tag and any knowledge of style/producer/site influence us). I was in the other half, who criticized it for being out of balance, showing too much oak and alcohol with the various components of the wine (fruit, tannins, acidity, alcohol and oak) not being in balance. A handful of others defended it vocally, claiming it just needed time. One in particular insisted it just needed a period of age in the cellar, or needed to be decanted if young and allowed to aerate for a period of time/drunk with a lot of patience to show well. But he wouldn't be swayed by the critical mass and kept stating that even if it was a bit over the top in its youth, it SHOWED the signs of the sheer pedigree and class of a great wine which would emerge further with patience. A few months back, I attended another dinner where the same gentleman brought the 04 Lillian again. This time he had decanted beforehand, and the airtime and a year in the cellar had done it wonders. It was outstanding. Surely the same principle can be applied to some cricketers. Significant patience and time for development (in a domestic league, rather than a well stocked cellar :-)) for those who show the raw signs of class and greatness when young, but for a period of time lack anything besides just potential. What selectors seem to be doing these days is akin to opening the bottles far too early - throwing the kids into the big leagues far too soon. They lack the maturity, experience and grit that a few seasons of domestic cricket can bring. Patience brings a lot of rewards. Look at Lee who moved between promising-but-inconsistent to rubbish-and-predictable for so many years before suddenly making the big transition in 2006/7 and becoming a true strike bowler. Symonds, so inconsistent in his many early chances in test cricket before that test at the MCG, after which he suddenly turned into an indispensible bulwark. Tendulkar, who took 72 ODIs to make his first ton, or Jayasuriya who for so long was a tidy but unthreatening SLA and an occasionally threatening slogger. I'm taking the long-term-cellaring approach with Rohit. The tools are there. Class, immaculate balance when on song, lovely front foot and back foot strokeplay and the ability to move between graft and hitting big. I just hope the selectors will do the same. A couple of seasons more of Ranji (or some county cricket) could do a lot for him. Let him play under Muzumdar, be coached by Praveen Amre and learn the tricks of the trade from some of the other canny vets like Nilesh or Samant. If he can learn some things about understanding bowlers, learning WHEN to move between graft and big hitting or how to straddle the two, and building innings - that that a good talent should be able to learn in a good domestic set up (and Mumbai at least provides that) - he'll do well. Question is whether the selectors will take the same approach and let him develop, or whether they might either keep persisting with him and watching the occasional flash of brilliance surrounded by other failures, or worse yet, discard him as a young failure and never look back.

I'm not trying to knock you down - you are a good writer. But you could have simply said "Rohit Sharma will get better with time". Disclaimer: I don't read novels, dont have the patience. Hence prefer brevity and to-the-point posts. Mebbe i am a T20 bastard after all. ( but i still prefer test matches) I think the analogy between long posts and test matches is frivolous.

Not making any comparisons. Just pointing out the difference in mentalities. Patience as opposed to rushing and the here-and-now expectation. Flattered Doc, but no response?
Thal, I wrote this morning that the moment the kid started saying stuff like, "The last time I came to Australia, I didn't have a penny in my pocket", I knew he was finished. He obviously felt he had arrived. The IPL windfall saw to that. You may be the most talented bloke in the world, but growing up, unless you hate every deficiency in yourself with a deadly hate that only perfectionists can feel, you are never going to forge ahead of the crowd. Blessed with too much, far too early in life. There is no lesson like privation, like insecurity. This kid is lost to us, I tell you.
I'm not trying to knock you down - you are a good writer. But you could have simply said "Rohit Sharma will get better with time". Disclaimer: I don't read novels, dont have the patience. Hence prefer brevity and to-the-point posts. Mebbe i am a T20 bastard after all. ( but i still prefer test matches) I think the analogy between long posts and test matches is frivolous.
Then, why bother posting on this thread? In any case, Salil didn't post this here. I did, because I wanted to showcase what he is capable of. For crying out loud!
Blessed with too much, far too early in life. There is no lesson like privation, like insecurity. This kid is lost to us, I tell you.
21 year old, getting starts still and not able to convert in big.. just 21 again. man how is he done. hey may be dropped for good by selectors, but he surely isn't over. such talent can't be written off easily. i still think he is one of those simple, naive and no high fly attitude person. i understand your concern about IPL, but we just can't write off a 21 year old..
Then, why bother posting on this thread? In any case, Salil didn't post this here. I did, because I wanted to showcase what he is capable of. For crying out loud!
relax paaji! I'm just trying to understand why people take the pains to write soooo much when they can make their point heard in just 1 line? what is the motivation? aap to gussa ho gaye
Thal, I wrote this morning that the moment the kid started saying stuff like, "The last time I came to Australia, I didn't have a penny in my pocket", I knew he was finished. He obviously felt he had arrived. The IPL windfall saw to that. You may be the most talented bloke in the world, but growing up, unless you hate every deficiency in yourself with a deadly hate that only perfectionists can feel, you are never going to forge ahead of the crowd. Blessed with too much, far too early in life. There is no lesson like privation, like insecurity. This kid is lost to us, I tell you.
Dhondy your prophecy is not a good news for indian cricket then... May be you understand a human psychology better than us..and thus reached a conclusion that his demand from cricket has reached a saturation point.. He is a rare talent..and i would wish him to carry on with his game and improve his game... only time will tell..if he goes the Munaf Patel way or Sachin Tendulkar way... and Salil.. i have been reading your posts since the time when we were at the old joint...and your style always fascinated me...few people are blessed with the art of playing with words...and graft it beautifully.. if only you could treat us with your craft more often...

Nice writing but I don't agree. The article might be appropriate before Rohit made his debut. But he has played tough cricket and has done very well. Going to domestic cricket is only applicable to Rohit or for any other player when they're out of form. Rohit is pretty close to out of form but not there yet. He made a decent 22 last game and I'm sure he'll score a 50 or more tomorrow.

I dont think its Rohit who thinks he is the new SRT , its fans & the press who are so desperate to find the next SRT that as soon as Rohit did ok in the first few games and his technique looked ok everybody called him the next big thing. TBH IPL has actually done few good things for the Indian cricket. Thanks to IPL , if RS fails in next 10 games , we know that there are 5 more batsmen waiting for his spot. I think RS is more aware that he can be replaced just like Rainia was some time back. Im not sure if he is the next SRT or RD as I think every player is different but im sure if he is smart and works hard then he will win games for India and that is all that matters.

Dhondy, can you please post a link to his interview. Just out of curiosity I would like to read it. Give this kid benefit of doubt yaar, didnt u feel proud when u got ur first pay check ?

The article was an overkill, seriously. I definitely appreciate quality big articles that have to say something which cannot be said in one line, but this one was a "zabardasti". But its my humble opinion, nothing against the writer. I am relatively new here, so don't whos who here. On topic: Roht looks good, and will comeback sooner than later.

Simply wonderful!! ICF has never felt so good!! Can't add much more to your wonderful post and analogy except that you can drop people even if they have stellar FC records but you should not select any without a good FC record. I have thrown this challenge to many - find me 10 cricketers with shabby FC records and stellar international records.

relax paaji! I'm just trying to understand why people take the pains to write soooo much when they can make their point heard in just 1 line? what is the motivation? aap to gussa ho gaye
Difference between reading an Albert Camus work and a ToI article.