Some Bradman Footage...

Dravid

A reputed cricekt expert speaking through any of the reputed media houses against Bradman is simply unheard of .... it is considered blasphemy to question him... regardless of many a obvious holes in their theories as discussed ad-nauseum by yours truly. Hence the PC connection. Thats how it is. That video tells everything that one needs to know about the skill levels competitiveness and professionalism that went around back then.
And how is that? Every player who played against Donald Bradman holds him in the highest regards, above of any of his contemprories. And the list includes many of Indian greats. Now unless you beleive each and every one of them was a sell-out you are basically just showing your own dislike for the man.
Hazare and Merchant have a fantastic First class record but sadly the duo played very little test match cricket .. especially Merchant ... and Hazare found it very hard to make runs outside India in Test Cricket. Even if you did overlook that how would you put them ahead of the Tendulkars the RD's the Vishy's the VVS's the Gangulys the Amrnaths etc etc ?
Merchant played in 40s/50s. Hazare similar period, give or take a few. Their record is as stellar as anyone who played till late 80s. Yes in the past decade or so we have been extremely lucky that we have 2 all time greats - SRT and Dravid, with another - Sehwag knocking on the door. I would pick SRT and Dravid in my team but a Hazare can easily contend with a Vegsarkar, an Amarnath, a Ganguly, VVS etc. And I would put Merchant right up there with Sunny and Sehwag. As for Kapil vs Vinoo Mankad, that is a no-brainer for me. Kapil to me remains the greatest Indian player ever. However I have highest regards for Vinoo Mankad. A batsman with 30 plus average and almost 4 wickets per Tests, better stats than say Richie Benaud and good enough to hold 1st wicket batting record. Whats not to like about the gentleman? How can you even think of not bringing him in the list of Indian probables??
The oldies always have a fixation and bias towards their times and since most guys go unchallenged their views have become gospel and there is no shortage of folks to provide the embellishment.
Yes, I was born in 20s and I have a fixation for Vinoo Mankad :hatsoff: Seriously though Vinoo Mankad and Subhas Gupte, alongwith Bedi, Chandra and Prasanna would easily be top 5 spin bowlers India has produced with Kumble being the 6th one in the list. However in a selection of an All-time Indian XI I wont be surprised if any of these 6 gentlemen would be selected. xxx

Lambi kahani hai (which I have explained in nauseating detail in 2-3 diferent threads earlier) ... but it all boils down to the old fuddy duddies refusing to accept that the world has progressed and evolved quite rapidly since their time .... it happens to most people. I Dont hate the guy as such but Iam not the one to buy yarn at price of gold.
Not sure about recent threads but I myself have been part of discussions on similar subject(at times with you as well). And yes it always ends up being a dead end but surely there is no reason why you have to consider the opposite point of view as PC? It is just that - an opposite point of view.
iam not knocking those guys .... they did a wonderfull service for the game of cricket and deserver every bit of credit for laying the ground work for our cricketing culture out of nowhere but to say that their cricketing skills are on par with the current lot would require a lot of assumptions which Iam not comfortable making.
Actually you did knock these guys. Here are your words
Actually Lurks no one in the right mind really puts those guys in the same category as the current maharathis ... They are given due respect for what they did in their times with unique handicaps and the usual PC news bytes and articles ... You will see none of them even mentioned in any Indian alltime XI never mind a World XI
I dont quite see how you are not knocking these greats really. Vinoo Mankad is very capable of being in same league as Kapil(and I say it as a Kapil fan). Similarly Merchant can certainly hold his own against likes of Sunny or Dravid. Gupe was as good or better than Kumble and so on we can go. My issue was when you made the statement that no one in the right frame of mind would consider these players great, and as good as modern players. xxx

Guest dada_rocks
This video is another good reason why history should be dealt with delicately. The Indian team in question sported a lot of good players, including its skipper Lala Amarnath who was widely respected around the world. To point out loopholes into Bradman's average only comes back to make a mockery of Indian players, many of which(Amarnath, Hazare, Mankad) are all time greats. So please proceed with trepedition.
They ain't all time greats for sure....... One of these gentleman hold bat like Mohd kaif and yet average in 40's........ Yes he remains a very good player of that amateur cricket era and that's it...... I remember an article where some captain with proactive field positioning crippled Braman's scoring.. That article has to be somewhere tucked on cricinfo

They ain't all time greats for sure....... One of these gentleman hold bat like Mohd kaif and yet average in 40's........ Yes he remains a very good player of that amateur cricket era and that's it...... I remember an article where some captain with proactive field positioning crippled Braman's scoring.. That article has to be somewhere tucked on cricinfo
The author of that CI article is a moderator on this board.

It is an opposing view without much basis and one that requires a lot of assumptions.
Yes, as usual, the other point of view has little basis, and you have all the basic views when it comes to this discussions. Indeed!
Flintoff		Bedser
Sanford		Vincent
Donald		Phadkar
Qadir		Morkel
Razzaq		Wright
Dale		Martin
Giles		Geary
Bichel		Francis
Hall		Allen
Traicos		Larwood
Blignaut		Verity
Caddick		Griffith
Fraser		Peebles
Lee		White
Murphy		Farnes
Reid		Amarnath
Williams		Constantine
McMillan		Tate
Schultz		Quinn
White		Yardley
Walsh		Pollard
Lewis		Sinfield
Cuffy		Robins
McDermott    	Hazare
Cairns		Voce
Hooper		Bowes
Bandara		Hollies
Tremlett		Edrich
Kaneria		Hammond
Ambrose
Malcolm		
Cork		
Nash		
Morrison		
Vettori		
Tuffey		
Fleming		
Hemmings		
Rose		
McGrath		
Wickramasinghe		
Streak		
Salisbury		
Imran		
Bishop		
Oram		
Bracewell		
Kallis		
Lawson		
Anderson		
Gillespie		
Benjamin		
Pushpakumara		
Klusener		
Dillon		
Hayward		
Muralitharan		
Ntini		
Ealham		
Mortaza		
Madurasinghe		
Waugh		
Hoggard		
Asif		
Rafique		
Sami		
Vaughan		
Whitney		
Kasprowicz		
Panesar		
Ahmed		
Nagamootoo		
Rahman		
Naved-ul-Hasan		
Johnson		
Williams		
Hauritz		
Strang		
Tufnell		
Collingwood		
McIntyre		
Wiseman		
Harris		
Symcox		
Taylor		
Adams		
Reiffel		
Collins		
Dawson		
Kalpage		
Price		
Thomson		
Mushtaq		
Doull		
O'Connor		
Styris		
MacGill		
Anurasiri		
Udal		
Bond		
Hossain		
Afridi		
Akhtar		
Warne		
Pollock		
Clark		
Jayasuriya		
Dilshan		
Ranchod		
Hathurusingha		
Gul		
Waqar		
Wasim		
Cronje		
Vaas		
Bruyn

Cant really compare a opener with Middle order batsman Lurks ... opening is faar more complicated business than anything else ..... and for that reason alone he will remain the best that ever was in that line of business. No arguments there.
The argument is rather simple BB, and it has little to do with the batting slot of the two. If sporting ability improves with time then why is it that bowling faced by Sachin in 90s and 2000s is not in the same league as that faced by Sunny in 70s and 80s?? And no by that I dont mean Sachin did not face quality attacks, he did, but Sunil Gavaskar faced better and he played a good 25 year from today. xxx