Sehwag Stats - A case of Contrast

Guest BossBhai

Well, it's blatantly obvious that you're just assuming - nothing you say has any real grounding in fact or empirical evidence from 100+ years of test cricket. Batsmen with weaker techniques have always been hidden back in the middle order rather than being pushed to open - given that an opener's at risk against a totally fresh attack with the new ball when it's swinging and seaming most, they need fantastic technique, strength of mind and a very good eye to be successful. Pretty much every top opener for a long time fit that mould. Even the hitters like Hayden, Greenidge and Sehwag played with straight bats, still heads, fantastic hand-eye coordination and picked their shots with care rather than just prodding outside off with unsure footwork or no knowledge of where their off stump was. The others like Gavaskar, Boycott, Lawry, Turner and co. may not have always had the same levels of aggression and shots, but also had fantastic techniques and real patience. Really quality top order batsmen can basically fit in almost anywhere in the order (see Gavaskar coming in at 4, then scoring 236 v. West Indies), but bat at the top because they're the best equipped technically to be there. Better than taking a scratchy middle order bat who struggles v. the short ball or swing or can't find his off stump and sending him at the top.
All of this is true but a decently valid counter arguement can be made, imo. I would argue that its a lot easier to bat whe opening than in the middle order in India (or sometimes in SL) where its a case seeing off the first 4-5 overs and smashing everything in sight when the ball is hard and comes on to the bat. Also the turning ball,.... blah blah blah (I think you get my point). Also another thing in a lot of places like England or NZ is the brightness of the ball. I think it was Boycott or Chappel saying on commentary on how an FC opener in England challenged the fielding side to take the second new ball saying that he would bat with a stump if they did. Apparently he batted with a stump for a couple of overs (and was middling them) before carrying on to make 250. + A lot of times in England, the ball only starts swinging after 20-30 overs after the shine comes off a bit, etc, etc.. Oh and nice try with Gavaskar's 236 (;