Sehwag Stats - A case of Contrast

Guest BossBhai

Sehwag is a special player. But sorry, in this test match he's been a complete joke. Gave away 100+ plus runs by dropping Watson off the 2nd ball of the test match and then with only minutes to go till stumps tries to play a scoring shot off a good delivery that should have been defended. There is NO WAY Sehwag should be praised for his pathetic performance so far.

Sehwag is a special player. But sorry, in this test match he's been a complete joke. Gave away 100+ plus runs by dropping Watson off the 2nd ball of the test match and then with only minutes to go till stumps tries to play a scoring shot off a good delivery that should have been defended. There is NO WAY Sehwag should be praised for his pathetic performance so far.
are you furreal?
hmmm... I think this thread is not talking about his fielding prowess :--D

Here's the reality of Sehwag's performance in this test match: He scored 12 more runs than tail ender Mitchell Johnson and dropped Watson who went on to score a century. How is this any different than any of the Pak batsmen who dropped absolute sitters against Australia/England and then scored a half century? Were we praising them?

Fontaine - you realize that you would not be criticizing him if that shot had come off? As for the drop catch, it happens. 2nd ball of the day, perhaps not fully warmed up, etc. Not giving excuses of course. Did you notice how worried the Aussies were when he was there and their spontaneous and gleeful celebrations when he left. Thats how much of a difference he makes.

Fontaine - you realize that you would not be criticizing him if that shot had come off? As for the drop catch, it happens. 2nd ball of the day, perhaps not fully warmed up, etc. Not giving excuses of course. Did you notice how worried the Aussies were when he was there and their spontaneous and gleeful celebrations when he left. Thats how much of a difference he makes.
And don't you think it was all the more incentive for him to concentrate a bit harder in those dying moments of the day to give the Aussies all the worries the next day? You just can't deny that his concentration went for a walk in those last 15 minutes. And at the same time no one can deny that India has been massively let down by CL fatigued Dhoni, injury ridden Ishant and Laxman, AND Sehwag, in this inning.
Fontaine - you realize that you would not be criticizing him if that shot had come off? As for the drop catch' date=' it happens. 2nd ball of the day, perhaps not fully warmed up, etc. Not giving excuses of course.[/quote'] But that's precisely what you're doing, providing excuses for failure. Look the bottom line is with the new ball and your strike bowler on, everyone in the world, including opposition batsmen know that it's time to focus and concentrate. Sehwag didn't.
Did you notice how worried the Aussies were when he was there and their spontaneous and gleeful celebrations when he left. Thats how much of a difference he makes
Same situation as above. Minutes before stumps, everyone watching, the bowlers, fielders and batsmen know that it's time to focus and concentrate. Sehwag didn't. It's not about his talent which is unquestioned but his mental lapses. This forum routinely calls Afridi a retard for just how stupid he can be and rightly so. Sehwag did pretty much the same thing, twice.
This forum routinely calls Afridi a retard for just how stupid he can be and rightly so. Sehwag did pretty much the same thing, twice.
Oh come off it, Sehwag has just equaled the ALL TIME Test record for fifties in most consecutive Tests. Comparing a man with 7000 Test runs at 54 with some brainless fourth rate slogger because of a couple of lapses is just ridiculous.
But that's precisely what you're doing, providing excuses for failure. Look the bottom line is with the new ball and your strike bowler on, everyone in the world, including opposition batsmen know that it's time to focus and concentrate. Sehwag didn't. Same situation as above. Minutes before stumps, everyone watching, the bowlers, fielders and batsmen know that it's time to focus and concentrate. Sehwag didn't. It's not about his talent which is unquestioned but his mental lapses. This forum routinely calls Afridi a retard for just how stupid he can be and rightly so. Sehwag did pretty much the same thing, twice.
Comparing him with Afridi? Thats an insult to Sehwag. Bhajji can bat better than Afridi.

Just as a general point, I find it an especially nonsensical way to judge a missed catch by taking the number of runs scored by that batsman after the dropped catch. If one guy drops a dolly and the batsman is out next ball, does it somehow justify the drop? If another guy misses a tough chance and the batsman scores a 100, is it somehow the fielder's fault?

The reason Pakis dont get praised is because it is the norm for them to suck .... Sehwag on the other hand does not suck by default. Hence a thread dedicated for his Batting Stats - which if you bother to read has some stunning achievements. To ridicule such a player because he dropped a catch and worse to compare with Afridi and Pakis is just silly.
Show me where I ridiculed him? My very first post started off by saying: "Sehwag is a special player." I then criticized his drop and the way he got out in the context of THIS test match. No player is above criticism when they make mistakes in a vital test match. If you don't like then don't bother reading my posts.
Just as a general point' date=' I find it an especially nonsensical way to judge a missed catch by taking the number of runs scored by that batsman after the dropped catch. If one guy drops a dolly and the batsman is out next ball, does it somehow justify the drop? If another guy misses a tough chance and the batsman scores a 100, is it somehow the fielder's fault?[/quote'] true.sensible.
And don't you think it was all the more incentive for him to concentrate a bit harder in those dying moments of the day to give the Aussies all the worries the next day? You just can't deny that his concentration went for a walk in those last 15 minutes. And at the same time no one can deny that India has been massively let down by CL fatigued Dhoni, injury ridden Ishant and Laxman, AND Sehwag, in this inning.
I am not quite sure how we fans make out that it was Sehwag's concentration which went for a toss! I mean that whip off the hips is a staple stroke for him. Its a question of execution. He did not execute it that well. If the argument is that he should have just defended it back, well yes, he could have. But then he is Sehwag. I guess the gist is that you cannot have the cake and eat it too. Am not letting him go scot free. Just saying that he did not throw his wicket away in playing some outrageous stroke. It was a genuine mistake in execution. And the stroke that he failed in was one where he was trying to keep the ball down. I dont think he deserves this much criticism in this case.
But that's precisely what you're doing, providing excuses for failure. Look the bottom line is with the new ball and your strike bowler on, everyone in the world, including opposition batsmen know that it's time to focus and concentrate. Sehwag didn't. Same situation as above. Minutes before stumps, everyone watching, the bowlers, fielders and batsmen know that it's time to focus and concentrate. Sehwag didn't. It's not about his talent which is unquestioned but his mental lapses. This forum routinely calls Afridi a retard for just how stupid he can be and rightly so. Sehwag did pretty much the same thing, twice.
Fontaine, I think I tried to answer this in the previous section of the same post. Honestly Sehwag has not become who he is or earned the reputation in world circles that he has by thinking like Afridi.