Olympics 2008

SachDan

Awesome race. That should help Bernard come out of the disappointment of losing the relay to USA. Bernard and Sullivan will clash again in the 50 meters freestyle event where both have set world records in the past. Tough luck for the reigning champ since 2000 - Hoogenband who swam slowest first 50 meters and the fastest last 50 meters among all the swimmers. Not enough to get him a place on the podium.

Pred I dont think it is right to associate Bernard with steroids just because he is built like a hulk. Even Rafael Nadal is way too muscular for a tennis player isn't he? On the other hand, repeat offenders like Dwain Chambers or the banned cyclists do not look any stronger than their opponents.

Pred I dont think it is right to associate Bernard with steroids just because he is built like a hulk. Even Rafael Nadal is way too muscular for a tennis player isn't he? On the other hand, repeat offenders like Dwain Chambers or the banned cyclists do not look any stronger than their opponents.
It's just alarming to see a swimmer with that kind of physique. He has the kind of muscles you would develop from weight training, and i know for a fact that swimmers do very little weight training - at least not their upper body. A more wiry frame is the usual swimmer's body - they need flexibility in their arms and shoulders to pull bigger strokes. Re; Nadal, he isn't that muscular at all - he just has big arms; or big arm, i should say. That left arm is bulked up but the right doesn't have much on it.

Chinese female gymnasts under scrutiny;

NBC BEIJING (AP) - Just nine months before the Beijing Olympics, the Chinese government's news agency, Xinhua, reported that gymnast He Kexin was 13, which would have made her ineligible to be on the team that won a gold medal this week. In its report Nov. 3, Xinhua identified He as one of "10 big new stars" who made a splash at China's Cities Games. It gave her age as 13 and reported that she beat Yang Yilin on the uneven bars at those games. In the final, "this little girl" pulled off a difficult release move on the bars known as the Li Na, named for another Chinese gymnast, Xinhua said in the report, which appeared on one of its Web sites, www.hb.xinhuanet.com The Associated Press found the Xinhua report on the site Thursday morning and saved a copy of the page. Later that afternoon, the Web site was still working but the page was no longer accessible. Sports editors at the state-run news agency would not comment for publication. If the age reported by Xinhua was correct, that would have meant He was too young to be on the Chinese team that beat the United States on Wednesday and clinched China's first women's team Olympic gold in gymnastics. He is also a favorite for gold in Monday's uneven bars final. Yang was also on Wednesday's winning team. Questions have also been raised about her age and that of a third team member, Jiang Yuyuan. Gymnasts have to be 16 during the Olympic year to be eligible for the games. He's birthday is listed as Jan. 1, 1992. Chinese authorities insist that all three are old enough to compete. He herself told reporters after Wednesday's final that "my real age is 16. I don't pay any attention to what everyone says." Zhang Hongliang, an official with China's gymnastics delegation at the games, said Thursday the differing ages which have appeared in Chinese media reports had not been checked in advance with the gymnastics federation.
NBC interviewed a famous gymnastics coach, Bela Karolyi (the guy who coached Comaneci) and he said that he had serious doubts about some of the Chinese gymnasts - pointing out broken baby teeth in a few of those girls as evidence of them being under-age. Wouldn't surprise me if it was true, but we will never know.

6 gold medals, another world record for KING MICHAEL PHELPS - this time in the 200m Backstroke. At least this one was a little bit closer.....for the first 100m. Then he pulled away so comfortably. That ties his Athens medal haul. All 6 medals produced 6 world records. And this was supposed to be his WEAKEST stroke. I have never seen an athlete dominate an Olympics the way Phelps has this summer

6 gold medals, another world record for KING MICHAEL PHELPS - this time in the 200m Backstroke. At least this one was a little bit closer.....for the first 100m. Then he pulled away so comfortably. That ties his Athens medal haul. All 6 medals produced 6 world records. And this was supposed to be his WEAKEST stroke. I have never seen an athlete dominate an Olympics the way Phelps has this summer
Was it just the backstroke or was it individual meddley? Did he not do butterfly for the first 50m, backstroke for the nest 50m, breatstroke for 100-150 m and finally freestyle for the final 50m? And I think he struggled only during the breaststroke period a little, but made up in the freestyle in the final 50. He has two more events to participate in.

Was it just the backstroke or was it individual meddley? Did he not do butterfly for the first 50m, backstroke for the nest 50m, breatstroke for 100-150 m and finally freestyle for the final 50m? And I think he struggled only during the breaststroke period a little, but made up in the freestyle in the final 50. He has two more events to participate in.
Right, right...wrote that in a hurry and got confused 'cos the backstroke finals were on yesterday as well.

Damn they deleted it already. But it'll be on the official Olympics site in a few hours I assume. Now nothing can stop Phelps from winning his 8th Gold since the American team is head and shoulders above the rest in 4 x 100 meters Medley relay. I also hope Aussie legend Grant Hackett creates history by becoming the first swimmer to win the same race in 3 consecutive Olympics when he steps into the pool for the 1500 meters freestyle.