Is Sehwag great yet?

Sure he is. He's changed the way Tests are played, not only have we taken note of it, other teams have as well. I know Gilly has a better strike rate but he batted at No. 7, mostly when the brilliant Aussie middle order had batted and got runs, Sehwag has to do it all himself.

Suresh Menon August 15' date=' 2008 [url']http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/365020.html Which brings us to the question of the day: has Virender Sehwag earned the right to be included among the greatest Indian batsmen ever? Above the likes of Viswanath, Vijay Hazare, Vijay Merchant, CK Nayudu, and alongside Gavaskar, Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar? The statistics are revealing. After 60 Tests, 15 centuries and an average of 52.62, Sehwag has scored more runs and more centuries than everyone barring Gavaskar at the same stage. So why is he not spoken of in the same breath? Perhaps it is because "Fab Four" is a convenient label, and there is an attraction to the allusion that is missing from, say, "Famous Five". Perhaps it is because Sehwag is not articulate, and appears even to someone like Geoff Boycott as a talented but brainless batsman. Perhaps there is a deeper reason, his Jat working-class background versus the middle-class Brahmin origin of the others.
Unadulterated rubbish. I almost stopped reading after this. The problem with Sehwag is that he is playing in the same era as Tendulkar and Dravid (not to mention VVS, who played the most significant innings of the decade, IMO). These men had already established themselves as greats when Sehwag first entered, and have continued to perform at a high level (barring the last 2 years). Gavaskar, on the other hand, was a pioneer. He was the first to take on the mighty Windies in their prime, and he did it on their soil, when he was 21 years old. He scored 770+ runs in his very first test series at a time when there were no other Indian batsmen who could consistently hold up the candle. Sehwag only added to existing glitter; Gavaskar WAS the glitter. 35a6pfp.png
:two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up:
No way. gavaskar was better than tendulkar. Even though tendulkar average is better, more centuries and more runs, gavaskar did not have the likes of dravid, ganuly and laxman to back him up plus the fact that he was captain whic put more pressure on him.
Among Indian Test Greats: 1. Gavaskar 2. Dravid 3. Tendulkar 4. Sehwag ================== ODIs (History of Indian ODIs): Tendu then daylight then rest
No way you said that. :omg:
Yeah I said that. I am neither a SRT pujari/worshipper nor a SRT hater(despite bluebrigade and danra thinking otherwise). History of Ind ODIs - he's by far the best. Current SRT - may or may not be 60% of old SRT.