Has Sunny gone to far?

Re: Has Sunny gone to far? Much like in their culture it is ok to call someone a b@stard affectionately, it is ok in our culture to invoke dead people's names to show why living people may end up dead if they don't learn from other's mistakes.

Re: Has Sunny gone to far?

Much like in their culture it is ok to call someone a b@stard affectionately' date=' it is ok in our culture to invoke dead people's names to show why living people may end up dead if they don't learn from other's mistakes.[/quote']Exactly! :wtg:

Re: Has Sunny gone to far? What happens on the pitch, stays on the pitch. There have been instances of cricketers mouthing off obscenities at each other within those 12 yards but once the match was over, all was forgotten and dismissed as an impulsive action brought out in the heat of the moment. Allan Donald had a beer with Atherton after their memorable clash at Trent Bridge back in '98. Aussies and the English do the same. It's not even remotely comparable to mentioning the name of a dead person (who had nothing to do with anything in the first place) in vain like Gavaskar did.

It's not even remotely comparable to mentioning the name of a dead person (who had nothing to do with anything in the first place) in vain like Gavaskar did.
they are jus acting like pussies, once someone offends them.....

It's not even remotely comparable to mentioning the name of a dead person (who had nothing to do with anything in the first place) in vain like Gavaskar did.
How would you feel if someone talked that way about anyone of your (deceased) family members ? I couldn't care less if someone takes pot shots at me, but there are limits to who you can insult.

How would you feel if someone talked that way about anyone of your (deceased) family members ? I couldn't care less if someone takes pot shots at me, but there are limits to who you can insult.
if i have been taking shots at everyone's wives, sisters and race(read entire aus team), then it is fair game someone can take a shot at my deceased ancestors..... second point is, Sunny didnt take a shot.... he jus brought up his name as an example of a bar fight due to foul manners....
Guest dada_rocks

Re: Has Sunny gone to far? SUNY has mentioned what aussie judiciary has already officialized.. well done.. And those who think aussies wud have taken note without that hooksey comment are fooling themselves.... This was the only way to make them see the point. They can whine as much as they want but sunny gavaskar has just underlined wha some aussie judge thought..... :wtg: :wtg: :wtg:

Much like in their culture it is ok to call someone a b@stard affectionately' date=' it is ok in our culture to invoke dead people's names to show why living people may end up dead if they don't learn from other's mistakes.[/quote'] :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Yoda needs to be Sunny's spokesman / PR person

Is what he said a lie? Did Hooks not really die as a direct result of a bar brawl that began with verbal abuse? Then where's the insult or the pot shots at him? If one of my family members died in a car accident because s/he didn't wear a seatbelt, I would bloody well invoke their death every time someone went to do something as stupid. And I would hope that it wouldn't be in vain.

Re: Has Sunny gone to far? I guess Gavaskar lost it a bit in this recent row. I can't quite understand where he is heading with these statements. If he is trying to reply to Ponting's latest statement it is not really making much sense to me. Fair enough Aussies have drinking problem and are pretty abusive but he has made his point several times already. There is no need to bring in Hookes to prove his point. I think he needs to move on before he becomes senile.

Guest dada_rocks

Good point Predator.Sunny has gone too far in my opinion. Like I said before' date=' no need to trample on the grave of a dead man. He could have made his point without referencing Hookes.[/quote'] HE has been doing that since god knows when somehow it never stuck..Hooksey incident mention was the last weapon

Re: Has Sunny gone to far? Apology to the Hookes family? For what? Mentioning how or why he died? I still don't understand what everyone is objecting to. There is no slander, what was said was true. Sunny is not ridiculing or 'speaking ill of' David Hookes.

He could have made his point without referencing Hookes.
There is the charge of irrelevance --agreed, he could have made his point without Hookes. But so what? Ponting could have made his point without bringing up the total irrelevance of the Indian Test team's record. Sunny's comment is perhaps slightly less irrelevant. So what we are left with is that "it is in bad taste to talk about dead people in any context except a eulogy". If that's the charge, then there's not much to say since it's personal preference. Like yoda said --> In my mind, it's ok to talk about how someone did something stupid and died. Just like in some Aussies' minds, it's ok to verbally abuse someone in the name of gamesmanship. There is nothing wrong with what Sunny said. The aussies are taking the opportunity to deflect the issue, and it is a bit clumsy on Sunilbhai's part to not realize that this would happen. Fine, he wasn't cut out to be a debater. Oafishness is hardly grounds for "crossing the line" (border) and "losing respect for him" (lehmann)