Ind-Aus rivalry bigger than Ind-Pak:Sachin

SachDan

MUMBAI: Champion batsman Sachin Tendulkar on Thursday rated the current rivalry between India and Australia as bigger than that of the traditional one between India and Pakistan because of the "competitiveness" exhibited by the two teams over the last eight years. "I think it (India v Australia) has become bigger largely because of the competitiveness. All the series between us from 2001 onwards have been very keenly fought and have been very close ones," said Tendulkar at a function here to unveil him as the global brand ambassador of Royal Scottish Bank Group. The ace batsman, who is at handshaking distance of overtaking West Indian great Brian Lara as Test cricket's highest run-getter, pointed out that India have been the only team in the world to have run world champions Australia close of late in the latter's backyard. "We have gone to Australia and beaten them. We have been able to surprise the Australian team and that's what the Australian public likes: competition and high standards of play. They love to see challenges and competitiveness. "The fan following for the India-Australia series has definitely increased as compared to say 15 years ago. The coming series would also be very closely fought. Talking on behalf of the Indian team I can say we will play hard but fair and I feel the Australians also will do so," said Tendulkar. Asked whether the absence of Andrew Symonds from the Australian side would lessen the tension in the upcoming rubber starting on October 9, Tendulkar said such things had happened even before the unsavoury spat between the Aussie all-rounder and Indian off-spinner Harbhajan Singh during the ill-tempered Sydney Test in January. "Such things happen but don't happen every week. They have happened in the past (before the Sydney Test)," Tendulkar said and indicated the incidents grabbed more attention nowadays because of media coverage and the presence of ICC match referees. Symonds, an integral part of the recent Test and ODI sides, has been omitted from the Aussie touring party to India on disciplinary grounds after preferring to go fishing instead of attending a team meeting during the recent ODI series against Bangladesh Down Under. Tendulkar did not lay too much emphasis on the fact that the Australian team, led by Ricky Ponting, was lacking in experience, saying the team looked to be a good blend of experienced players and new comers with lots of first class experience. "They (Australian squad) have a lot of experienced players and some of them have been playing for a long time now. They are the number one team in the world and we are prepared to face all challenges. "It's going to be an extremely well-fought series which would be played in the right spirit and the cricket would be played very hard," said the scorer of 81 Test and ODI hundreds. Asked about his impending landmark (of highest Test runs), Tendulkar said he never played with an eye on creating records but if and when they come they were welcome additions to his well-adorned cricket cap. "I don't think much about records. I want to enjoy my game. If players focus on their performance, records automatically fall into place. I focus on playing the game well. If it (new landmark) comes in doing so I will be happy," said the ace batsman who is only 76 runs short of overtaking Lara's world bench mark. :adore::adore: Tendulkar has 11877 Test runs to his credit as compared to the retired West Indian champion's 11953. The champion batsman did not agree with the general view that he had the habit of singling out Australia for special punishment. "I look at it differently. Whenever I play, whether for India or not, and against any opposition, I try and put my best foot forward. Whenever I lift my bat I do so. I respect cricket and enjoy playing it," he countered. :hatsoff: He also dismissed a scribe's inappropriate query about his retirement plans by shooting back, "I think you are at the wrong press conference." About his signing as brand ambassador with RBS, who are associate sponsors of the home Test rubber against Australia and title sponsors of the following series of Tests and ODIs against England, Tendulkar said "it was a dream come true" to be associated with the foreign bank alongside sports legends like golfer Jack Nicklaus and race driver Jackie Stewart. "It is indeed a great honour and a dream come true to join a select and prestigious group of sporting stars like Sir Jackie Stewart and Jack Nicklaus. Cricket is my passion and I am looking forward to an exciting home season of cricket with Australia and England," Tendulkar said about his latest endorsement deal. Nicklaus, winner of 18 golf majors in his career in which he has captured 73 PGA titles, and three-time Formula One world champion Stewart, welcomed Tendulkar to the stable of brand ambassadors of RBS. "We love Sachin and I'm looking forward to working with Sachin in future and take it (brand ambassadorship) forward," said the 68-year-old American golf legend in his video message. Describing Tendulkar as among the greatest players and batsmen to have graced the game of cricket, 69-year-old Scot Stewart said, "Lots of people are going to be very pleased that you are going to be the ambassador of RBS," said Stewart in his video greeting to Tendulkar. John McCormick, the CEO of the combined wholesale and investment banking businesses of RBS and ABN Amro in Asia Pacific, and his colleague John Baines, welcomed Tendulkar's signing as the group's new global brand ambassador. "When we considered which sport to support in India there was no alternative to cricket. We are going to be the associate sponsors for the India-Australia Test series and the association will culminate with the best-of-seven ODI series followed by the two-Test rubber against England for the inaugural RBS Cup," McCormick said.

Is this the first time in the history of Indian cricket that a banking corporation is going to be the title sponsor? or have we had it before? I couldnt recollect anything other than tobacco companies like ITC, and liquor companies like McDowell's and Cola giants like Pepsi/Coke... There had been some others like Titan, Reliance, Hero Honda, TVS, LG etc, but never a Bank...

The Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS)' date=' founded in 1695, became the latest casualty of the global banking meltdown. The bank survived the turmoil from the American and French revolutions, the War of 1812, the Napoleonic wars, the Great Depression, and two world wars, only to succumb on Sept. 17 2008. They will be absorbed by rival Lloyds.[/quote'] that is false news
Tendy is right...most tests between Australia and India have been thrillers- draws' date=' wins or losses, whereas matches versus Pakistan for nearly a decade, has been mostly high scoring dull draws mixed in with the occasional result producing one.[/quote'] Most IND PAK test matches have always been dull e.g from 1987 to 1989 two teams played 9 test matches and 8 of them were high scoring draws.

India v Oz is the biggy no doubt. The pak games are boring and suprsingly passionless over last few years. No passion in play, partly I feel cos 2 boards dictaing to players not to have contreversey and make them friendship games due to obvious reasons. Hence players on best behaviour. Against oz its all out war! No rules, no limits to what each team will do to win. Its all about beating the other team and both boards just want their team to win as well. Players are pumped, fans are pumped and neutrals pumped as well. Great games and exciting fierce cricket. Not to mention top class players, while lets face it in recent years pak team is pants! India v oz is the ultimate now!

Tendy is right...most tests between Australia and India have been thrillers- draws' date=' wins or losses, whereas matches versus Pakistan for nearly a decade, has been mostly high scoring dull draws mixed in with the occasional result producing one.[/quote'] The 1999 series between india and pakistan (in india) was a classic. it will remain the memories of everyne for a long time. the chennai test match sachin almost won the match single handedly and later wept in the dressing room for leaving the job unfinished, chennai crowd giving a standing ovation to the paki team. india squaring the series at delhi with jumbo picking 10 wkts. the kolkata test (although it was not part of that series), where pak came from 26/6 to beat india in front of empty stands... it had everything.. once in a life time series that was...