Sachin one of the most well- behaved cricketers: Arjuna

SachDan

COLOMBO: Adam Gilchrist might have called Sachin Tendulkar a "bad sport" but for former Sri Lanka captain Arjuna Ranatunga the Indian batting maestro is one of the best well behaved cricketers he had played with. "He (Tendulkar) was one of the nicest guys I played cricket with ... The thing I admired of him was the commitment for the game. I am very glad that he has left behind (the issue)," Ranatunga said. "I have not seen anyone who is so committed to cricket. Actually I learnt a lot from him. I was not committed enough for my batting. The result shows. I think he (Tendulkar) is a role model for any young cricketer," Ranatunga said. Ranatunga, now the Chairman of Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC), said Tendulkar deserved to become Test cricket's highest run-getter surpassing West Indian great Brian Lara. "I think he (Tendulkar) deserves to do that because of the commitment. He is one of the greatest cricketers I have played cricket with." Ranatunga feels that Tendulkar can easily play a couple of years of cricket and he should be given the luxury to decide when to hang his boots. "I still feel he can easily play a couple of years. I think the important thing is he has to take care of his injuries. When you are getting older you are getting into all these issues. "But he is still fit enough to play cricket. Even Sourav Ganguly, he is still getting runs. I think there will be a big vacuum when the 'fab four' goes," Ranatunga said. "Only Sachin should decide (on his retirement). If he feels that he is not enjoying the game he should announce his retirement," he added. http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?newsid=1202045

Sachdan - will dig out any article about Sachin from anywhere.. from the time I became a regular on ICF, I dont thave to look at othre websites at all. What do you do when Sachin or India are not involved in international cricket (off season)?
Dan, is officially the No.1 Sachin Fan on ICF !!!
Dan' date=' is officially the No.1 Sachin Fan on ICF !!![/quote'] No Shane..there are many here who are REAL fans of Sachin...wat I am showing is complete madness but can't help it.Started following cricket when Gavaskar just retired,Kapil was well past his prime and a Genius called Sachin Tendulkar announced his arrival at international stage!
No Shane..there are many here who are REAL fans of Sachin...wat I am showing is complete madness but can't help it.Started following cricket when Gavaskar just retired' date='Kapil was well past his prime and a Genius called Sachin Tendulkar announced his arrival at international stage![/quote'] Hmm... yo're quite a fan... can we have a competition (like a quiz sort of thing) among the Sachin fans to decide who is the best ever Sachin fan?
... except for the fact he didn't. So the above is based on a false premise. Nothing unusual for Ranatunga.
Yep and Ranatunga didnt write that did he. In any case, it was clear from Gilchrists statements that he was implying a lack of sportsmanship in Sachin. He didnt have to actually say it ... 99% of people inferred from what he said that that is what he meant, and thats what Gilchrist wanted because he wants publicity for his book.

^ Haha ... the headline in the smh (an Australian paper) was "Tendulkar is a bad sport: Gilly". But let me ask you something. If he wasnt questioning his sportsmanship, then what was he doing. The cultural difference thing is a cop-out and an attempt to backtrack because in ANY culture it is in good spirit to shake hands with your opponent after a game. When you say something like this ... "hard to find for a changing room handshake after we have beaten India" thats clearly questioning sportsmanship. Otherwise, if it was a cultural difference thing , he wouldnt have mentioned that it only happened after India lost. He was clearly attacking his sportsmanship.

You are both deluded and simply choosing to believe what pleases you. It was a jouro (or his editor) who used the term 'bad sport' - not Gilchrist.

But let me ask you something. If he wasnt questioning his sportsmanship' date=' then what was he doing. The cultural difference thing is a cop-out and an attempt to backtrack [b']because in ANY culture it is in good spirit to shake hands with your opponent after a game.
Oh, so it's YOU who's calling Sachin a bad sport ?

Its pretty obvious what Gilchrist said ... this is word for word what he said ...

"In the book, I mention that a cultural difference between our team and that of the Indians was the importance of shaking hands with the opposition after a loss. "It's simply my thoughts and from my experiences it seemed that this routine wasn't as important to some oppositions as it was in Australia, where it is drilled into us from an early age.
Yet video footage shows Tendulkar (and all the other Indian players) shaking hands with the Aussies after the Sydney test, despite the fact that they had to wait a long time for the Aussies to finish celebrating. Gilchrist proven wrong. End of story. Its as simple as that.

Well he said "the importance of shaking hands after a loss" ... not "the importance of shaking hands in the dressing room after a loss". Thats what he said ... clear as day. Those were Gilchrists words. He said the changing room handshake thing first but then the 2nd time round he clearly said ... "The importance of shaking hands after a loss". Sachin shook hands after that loss. hahahahaha ... wrong again you are!

No Gilchrist implied that ... if he wasnt implying that then please show me one journalist or cricketer (anywhere around the world) that felt Gilchrist was trying to point out a "cultural difference". If Gilchrist was purely making a comment about shaking hands in the dressing room and in the dressing room only (which his 2nd statement clearly shows he wasnt) then thats extremely sneaky and underhanded ... because he made an accusation that can never be proven correct or incorrect because its away from public eyes. Gilchrist clearly mentioned "the importance of shaking hands after a loss" ... Sachin and all the Indians did that. Gilchrist proven wrong.Now if he meant "changing room handshakes only" ... then thats extremely sneaky because its an accusation that no one can disprove. Extremely convenient. But the fact is, you know as well as I know that when he says ...

In the book, I mention that a cultural difference between our team and that of the Indians was the importance of shaking hands with the opposition after a loss. "It's simply my thoughts and from my experiences it seemed that this routine wasn't as important to some oppositions as it was in Australia, where it is drilled into us from an early age.
he is clearly not just talking about changing room handshakes and I guarantee you , you cant find me one person ... columnist, journalist, former cricketer, current cricketer (aussie, indian, russian, chinese, i dont care), media personality, that shares your view.