Kumble's time is up: Vengsarkar

SachDan

Guest HariSampath

^ No. Its part of an expert's job to voice his opinion at anytime he is asked. Shastri and Gavaskar had practically been rubbishing Kumble's captaincy last 2 tests. In fact after 2nd test was over , on being asked about team selection for 3rd test, when there was speculation that Mishra might have to sit out for Kumble, Shastri clearly said it was sheer nonsense. In post match talk, Shastri said on TV, " To me its the easiest decision, Mishra plays. period. If Kumble has to be played, then its simple, a batsman sits out" What does this mean ? It clearly means that Shastri wants Mishra to play irrespective of Kumble's availability and if he has to play, a batsman , obviously Dravid or VVS needs to sit out. Now isnt this a big statement, potentially raising fundamental questions on Kumble's role and also the issue of Dravid being dropped or VVS dropped ? Of course it touches upon core issues Indian team has been having over last year, many a time "sacrificing" a performing youngster to "accommodate" a senior. Such statements are routinely made, should be made, irrespective of middle of test or series, and thats what is part of an expert's job in providing followers a quality opinion as part of following the game.

^ Yea HS ... No one is denying him the right to say what he did. He can say whatever he wants. In fact I was someone on this forum that said a pretty much similar thing. However' date=' my point was that its not good for the harmony of the team and the atmosphere when such controversial and divisive statements are made, especially in the middle of a big series. In the end it didnt matter as Kumble retired anyway , but if he hadnt it could have created an awkwardness in the Indian camp as someone like Kumble would constantly be wondering whether his time is up and whether he is being pushed out of not. Thats not a good feeling in the camp in the middle of such a big series. Vengsarkar could have easily waited until the end of the series to make the statement.[/quote'] If our test team can't handle some honest scrutiny about a player who's been completely out of form and a liability then how are they going to handle big match pressure situations like they'll face in Nagpur? Sorry, but these guys are supposed to be professionals. If they're easily distracted by honest scrutiny about one player amongst their midst then they're in the wrong line of work. I'm not condoning sensationalist, exaggerated media nonsense which no one should have to suffer, but the article by Vengsarkar was right on the money, honest, not personal, and un emtional.

HS ... an expert can easily say "I do not wish to comment on that" or something along those lines. Shastri never actually said who should be dropped. Its a different story. I am not saying that the Indian team will be affected by this ... but they shouldnt have to deal with these extra pressures. When the former chief of selectors and the person responsible for putting Kumble in charge comes out and says that the Indian captain should not be there after this series, it does create a stir. Nothing is gained from making such statements, and it has the potential to cause a rift in the team. Yes Vengsarkar answered the question honestly, but it was irresponsible of him given that the series is still going on.