Kumble's time is up: Vengsarkar

SachDan

NEW DELHI: Former chairman of selection committee Dilip Vengsarkar on Saturday gave thumbs down to Test skipper Anil Kumble and said that he doesn't foresee the leg-spinner captaining the side after the ongoing series against Australia. Vengsarkar said though Kumble has rendered a yeoman service to the Indian cricket team his poor form suggested he should quit. "Kumble has not been performing since the last six to seven Tests. He has been a great servant for the country for the last 18 years but he has not done anything of note in the last few matches, his time is up now," Vengsarkar said to a news channel. "Kumble looked completely off-color in the match and I don't see him captaining the side after the Nagpur Test," he added. Vengsarkar felt that Kumble did not handle fellow leggie Amit Mishra properly in the third Test match. "Mishra was bowling quite well and was getting good zip but still Jumbo under-bowled him," Vengsarkar said.

This is gonna sound hypocritical (given the thread that I created) ... but Vengsarkar shouldnt have done this now. If he wanted to make a comment' date=' he should have waited until after the Test series. This is not good for team harmony.[/quote'] You are right. you creating threads in ICF does not matter for players. This clown-vengcircus shooting off is a different matter. Good that circus clown is no longer chief selector.
Yes' date=' Kumble's time is up. Didn't Vengsarkar himself have a rather mediocre record towards the end before he quit or was forced to quit?[/quote'] pretty much most indian cricketers were "forced to retire" or "limped off into retirement"(ala kapil dev). Gavaskar is the shining exception to this, and timed it superbly :hail: (he has his faults SMG does, but this was a good move by him after B'lore test) Ganguly is somewhere inbetween - neither retiring at a great time, nor limping off. Going in a series with decent performance. So, he has made a good decision as well.

Phack Vengsarkar - Phack all those who wanted Kumble to retire... I'm not saying he should continue playing for few more years. Poor man would have retired anyways after this series. All he wanted was to go out on a winning note after beating the Aussies, especially after what happened down under during his only overseas tour as captain. And unfortunately, media, fans and everyone else dint see it that way and denied what he thoroughly deserved. Bow out with a victory. Is everyone happy now?

Guest HariSampath

I think that Vengsarkar has every right to write what he did. After all he is a columnist, cricket expert, former India captain and former Chief selector too. He is just making a professional judgment about the future of Kumble, and isnt he correct ? Isnt that what so many folks here on ICF were saying too ? Almost everyone was convinced Kumble's form was gone for a while, his captaincy too was affected as a result, and what was de facto became de jure,when Dhoni was appointed. I cant see why people are critical of Vengsarkar for stating his honest opinion. In fact, I am very glad Kumble went, and temporary emotions apart, I am sure a vast majority of cricket fans, on ICF and elsewhere also feel the same way , and within a week it will seem as the most expected thing.

^ Yea HS ... No one is denying him the right to say what he did. He can say whatever he wants. In fact I was someone on this forum that said a pretty much similar thing. However, my point was that its not good for the harmony of the team and the atmosphere when such controversial and divisive statements are made, especially in the middle of a big series. In the end it didnt matter as Kumble retired anyway , but if he hadnt it could have created an awkwardness in the Indian camp as someone like Kumble would constantly be wondering whether his time is up and whether he is being pushed out of not. Thats not a good feeling in the camp in the middle of such a big series. Vengsarkar could have easily waited until the end of the series to make the statement.

Guest HariSampath

^ But Vengsarkar was just voicing his opinion ( and a correct one) that he didnt see Kumble being appointed captain beyond Nagpur. Such expert comments are always made by former cricket players all over the country , all the time. If Kumble or the team is going to allow this to affect them, its very sad actually. In fact its not even anything new, u switch on TV, and you have the Gavaskars, Shastris, Chappells and everyone criticizing Kumble's captaincy and praising Dhoni. Further, I dont think Vengsarkar did it with any motive or to cause any rift. Dont you remember when Ganguly launched an attack against Vengsarkar, before first test, he simply responded by saying " I will respond when the series is over, to Sourav, because the team is starting a test series now and I dont want to say anything that will affect their preparation" Also, remember that people like Gavaskar, Vengsarkar, Shastri etc are all very close to Srikkanth, having played together for many years. It is easy to see how the Chairman of selectors opinions will be well known to people like them because they interact very regularly, and in fact keep meeting each other almost all cricket days. Why all that, even I knew that Kumble would not be playing in Nagpur and Dhoni would lead, even before Kumble retired. It was not any great controversial opinion that Vengsarkar expressed.

^ I dont think Shastri or Gavaskar have ever said anything as drastic as "Kumble's time is up" in the middle of a series. Like I said before, I am not begrudging Vengsarkar from voicing his opinion. Nor am I saying it was with intention to disrupt the Indian team. However, itentionally or not that can often be the effect when a former player and selector makes such a bold statement in the middle of an important test series. With Ian Chappell its a different story, as he is not Indian. I guess my issue was more with the timing of this statement. He didnt need to make the statement right in the middle of this important series (whether he intended to or not). He could have voiced his opinion after the test series.