Has Ponting Done Enough?

Shehezaada

Well in the long run, I don't think it matters what Ponting has/hasn't done. Pup isn't ready to take over and even though Ponting is getting a lot of the blame for not putting on Lee etc you also could see Pup signalling to Lee that they were 9 down so he couldn't bowl him. He also had an average series, not really dominating with the bat and failing with the ball so Ponting is going to stick around as captain for a while yet. But it will be very interesting to see whether other teams like NZ/South Africa/ then England in the ashes try and emulate Ishant's bowling by targetting him early in his innings and trying to get the ball to nip back into him. Ponting is going to face a lot of those Ishant like deliveries so we'll see how he can handle it. I will say though, I can't remember Tendulkar having such problems. Usually SRT beats himself with being hesitant at times when in the 90s and so on but I haven't ever seen him being dominated by two bowlers consistently like Ishant/Bhajji.

If you 3 morons want to keep slinging insults, to make yourselves feel good, go right ahead. Makes absolutely no impression other than to further downgrade you as people. :regular_smile:
In the entire thread, you are the only one who is being abusive. If you can not control your own emotions, dont get into debates.
If you 3 morons want to keep slinging insults, to make yourselves feel good, go right ahead. Makes absolutely no impression other than to further downgrade you as people. :regular_smile:
mods take note of the abuse of calling me and 2 others a moron! Further what did i do to deserve the insults donny:nervous:I only asked a question, what did you think of pontings captaincy in the last test?
How conveniently you blokes 'choose' to turn a blind eye to the 100+ times (from 252 innings) Sach has failed in Tests when you start comparing these three batsmen - a nonsensical pursuit anyway.
I agree. Each player has his own merits. Lara was such an entertainer with such swagger, Tendulkar from a purists point of view is near perfect and Ponting is the best captain/leader of the three.

Ponting has done enough to be considered a great, but he isnt in the top echelon of Lara-Tendulkar-Viv-Gavaskar-Border etc. Simply because Ponting has a glaring weakness batting in India - no true great has been comprehensively owned in the backyard of a competetive heavyweight team. Plus Ponting hast had the 'luxury' of facing McWarne or carrying the batting on his own like Lara or Tendulkar has done in the past. Ponting is the 'best of the rest' - IMO he is better than Dravid,Kallis, Inzy,Yousuf, etc. But he isnt in the same bracket as Lara or Tendulkar - that much should be obvious to any neutral observer.

If you 3 want to keep slinging insults, to make yourselves feel good, go right ahead. Makes absolutely no impression other than to further downgrade you as people. :regular_smile:
Ironic - you are the one slinging insults, yet you shift blame. As far as 'downgrading people' go - i got a chuckle out of that - you Aussies sure have a long history of doing that, eh ? Too bad - maybe in a few hundred years, when your little arid rock has actually done something to be secure in its own culture, your population's propensity of 'downgrading people' would lessen and maybe you lot would become a civilization afterall. Here's to hoping!!
Ponting has done enough to be considered a great, but he isnt in the top echelon of Lara-Tendulkar-Viv-Gavaskar-Border etc. Simply because Ponting has a glaring weakness batting in India - no true great has been comprehensively owned in the backyard of a competetive heavyweight team. Plus Ponting hast had the 'luxury' of facing McWarne or carrying the batting on his own like Lara or Tendulkar has done in the past. Ponting is the 'best of the rest' - IMO he is better than Dravid,Kallis, Inzy,Yousuf, etc. But he isnt in the same bracket as Lara or Tendulkar - that much should be obvious to any neutral observer.
Well written. I agree with that. He is a great batsman, but still not in the top league.
yes, i agree 100% with this post. Best of the rest is prolly the best tag for Ponting, who is fantastic no doubt..but a little short of the best.
I agree. Each player has his own merits. Lara was such an entertainer with such swagger' date=' Tendulkar from a purists point of view is near perfect and Ponting is the best captain/leader of the three.[/quote'] After seeing Ponting captain a side without his star players, I don't rate him as that good a captain Yeh he probably is better than Lara and Tendulkar, but nothing special

Yeh ... Ponting is a great batsman but the difference is here ... the quality of the opposition. Ishant Sharma has beaten Ponting on numerous occassions by producing deliveries not any better than what the likes of McGrath, Ambrose, Walsh, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Allan Donald, etc were all producing regularly. Lara and Tendulkar were 2 batsman who not only withstood that but were able to counter attack in such an exciting manner that they were able to single-handedly turn a game on its head.