Why do western countries whine about conditions in India, whenever they lose

putrevus

When Goran Ivanisevic lost to Leander Paes in India' date=' he also had blamed the conditions. I was quite young then and had believed naively that Indian conditions may not be suitable for Lawn Tennis as we did not have too many great players. Ivanisevic of course was very annoyed with the crowd apart from other things.[/quote'] Actually in that instance, Goran was 100% right. I saw that match - Leander is star. He's always been very good when playing for India. But that match was played on a bumpy surface, which is just the worst possible condition to play tennis and most definitely worthy of getting a jibe or two from anyone. And the crowd was quite bipartisan there - tennis players are used to some comments but generally, tennis doesnt have guys yelling abuse at you most of the time.
There is no axe to grind, talking and praising about crowds and atmosphere has got nothing to with whining about playing conditions, why the f** k you think I am paranoid, listen to what Geoff boycott had to say about on BBC Former England batsman Geoffrey Boycott says the current team must not try to make excuses for defeat in the one-day series with India after losing the first four matches. I am not the only person who thinks they are making excuses, if you dont like it I cant help it.
You're talking about using the conditions as an excuse which is different than making other excuses. You simply don't want to acknowledge that it's ok to say that conditions are different because quite simply THEY ARE different. Pointing that out isn't making excuses but stating fact, especially when the same peopel have also been saying what a great outfit India are and how fantastically they are playing. What's ironic is that when we got thrashed in Sri Lanka in the Test series everyone was doing the SAME thing. Pointing out how difficult it was to face Mendis/Murali in pitches that were rank turners and taking spin from the 2nd day, except I guess when people here do it, it's ok. When a non Indian does it, it's the world turning against us! :hysterical:

this is international cricket, for crying out loud..WTF do they expect, hospitable circumstances wherever they go..the Aussies were labeled champions because they succeeded everywhere including India..so please no excuses..If your team sucks you have to accept it rather than giving lame excuses..

Have they complained about the food yet? That used to be their lame excuse in the 80s. Whiners.
Lame ? Dude, **I** am Indian, i have lived in India for years (in the past) and now when i go back, i worry about getting sick from the food - Indians have pretty good immune system as far as food goes - we westerners are used to sanitary conditions in our kitchens, most restaurant cooks/staff dont handle food without hairnets or gloves...meanwhile, in all but the most high quality restaurants in India, the kitchens are cockroach-infested mess....it isnt a 'lame' excuse, it is a genuine concern for people - indian and non-indian- who are used to the santised (some may say over-sanitized) conditions of the western world. You can eat pani-puri on the roadside and not get ill - i could do that in my distant past too - but nowadays, if i go back to India and eat pani-puris from any random roadside panipuri-wallah, i am more than likely to come down with a serious stomach bug.
Lame ? Dude' date=' **I** am Indian, i have lived in India for years (in the past) and now when i go back, i worry about getting sick from the food - Indians have pretty good immune system as far as food goes - [b']we westerners are used to sanitary conditions in our kitchens, most restaurant cooks/staff dont handle food without hairnets or gloves...meanwhile, in all but the most high quality restaurants in India, the kitchens are cockroach-infested mess....it isnt a 'lame' excuse, it is a genuine concern for people - indian and non-indian- who are used to the santised (some may say over-sanitized) conditions of the western world. You can eat pani-puri on the roadside and not get ill - i could do that in my distant past too - but nowadays, if i go back to India and eat pani-puris from any random roadside panipuri-wallah, i am more than likely to come down with a serious stomach bug.
I thought you were Indian. Where are you from? BTW we Indians dont give road side paani puri to visiting teams. And dont tell me that you get sick Eating in five/seven star hotels in India.
I thought you were Indian. Where are you from? BTW we Indians dont give road side paani puri to visiting teams. And dont tell me that you get sick Eating in five/seven star hotels in India.
well I acquired Gastro and possibly it was from dining at New Delhi Hyatt ... It was my mistake I didnt ask for Bottled water as I was expecting them to serve filtered water
I thought you were Indian. Where are you from?
I used to be Indian - i am Canadian now, i have been in Canada for almost 10 years now, before that i was in the middle east. I've spent a total of 8 years of my life in India ( discounting visits every year for 2-3 months at a time) : the first 4 years of my life and then grade 7 to 10 in high school.
BTW we dont give road side paani puri to visiting teams. And dont tell me that you get sick Eating in five/seven star hotels in India.
I didnt say that is what is served to the players - but at the same time, everyone goes out and eats on their own time/free days when they are in someplace new. When you go to switzerland, don't you go eat at a random restaurant someday when you are out sightseeing ? Or do you stick to food served ONLY at your 5-star hotel ? Same applies for us westerners when we visit India or any place else : we like to mingle, we like to take in the local delights, etc etc. Trouble with places like India is that there is no quality control for food - there is no such concept as 'if you dont maintain minimum hygenic conditions, the government would shut your shop down'. Therefore, when we end up (naively at first) trying some decent looking (note the word decent, i didnt say 5-star type) restaurant or eat from a fast food joint, we are more than likely to fall sick. And then we go tell our friends/media not to eat out in India unless you are going to eat ONLY at a 5-star restaurant. And then Indians get all p!ssy and offended. If i was told not to eat or drink anywhere outside my 5 star hotel in a country i am visiting, you can bet your bottom dollar that i will have a very low opinion about the food in that country and would advice EVERYONE i know to beware of the food there....i bet you'd do the same too -so why the double standards ? But consider this - you come here and eat in our version of 'dhaabas and roadside restaurants' - like the ma's-n-pa's pizza shops that sell slices by the zillions beside bus stops - you don't get sick. But we go eat at your roadside dhaabas and we get terribly sick. And you blame us for pointing out the obvious- that beware of the food being served in India ? eh ?!? And don't forget - MOST of the illness/complaints about food in India (including the ones made by the locals) is from terrible quality of the water - you can drink straight outta the tap here (not recommended) but it won't kill you or put you in the hospital - whereas in India, even most of the LOCALS won't drink straight outta a tap or tubewell - and yet we are being whiners for pointing out that ?!?
You are not even sure where you go it and for what.
Pray tell me - how can you EVER be sure where you got your gastro from ? You got some special device that tells you that your current case of botulism is from the food you ate at the dhaaba 5 meals ago and not from the 5 star restaurant meal you had yesterday ?? Look - 5 star restraurants are generally good in India - but it is still a hit or miss - there is no concept as food quality control in India - the 5 star restaurants do a good job generally coz they can afford to keep their kitchen neat and clean, but it still doesnt change the fact that they do it out of gratuity, not regulations and therefore, are a bit of hit-or-miss. Our body is remarkably adaptable- if we lived in ghetto conditions (food-wise) like India, we'd be accustomed to and not get sick - but we don't, which is why we are always fearful of eating out in India. And as i said, the quality of water is the prime culprit here - and you cannot deny that water quality in India is absolutely shocking.
Actually in that instance, Goran was 100% right. I saw that match - Leander is star. He's always been very good when playing for India. But that match was played on a bumpy surface, which is just the worst possible condition to play tennis and most definitely worthy of getting a jibe or two from anyone. And the crowd was quite bipartisan there - tennis players are used to some comments but generally, tennis doesnt have guys yelling abuse at you most of the time.
CC, I agree the surface was very bumpy, but bipartisan crowd support is a norm in Davis cup matches, I am sure you have watched spain and argentina matches even this year final, it is like a bull ring with supporters being very very vocal almost approaching a soccer game atmosphere.
Pray tell me - how can you EVER be sure where you got your gastro from ? You got some special device that tells you that your current case of botulism is from the food you ate at the dhaaba 5 meals ago and not from the 5 star restaurant meal you had yesterday ?? Look - 5 star restraurants are generally good in India - but it is still a hit or miss - there is no concept as food quality control in India - the 5 star restaurants do a good job generally coz they can afford to keep their kitchen neat and clean, but it still doesnt change the fact that they do it out of gratuity, not regulations and therefore, are a bit of hit-or-miss. Our body is remarkably adaptable- if we lived in ghetto conditions (food-wise) like India, we'd be accustomed to and not get sick - but we don't, which is why we are always fearful of eating out in India. And as i said, the quality of water is the prime culprit here - and you cannot deny that water quality in India is absolutely shocking.
You can not be sure of that and hence its stupid to sit back and assume that the hotel served you bad water. I have a feeling that either you have a special ill will for India or you are provoking other members here. You have been using language like ghetto conditions, third world conditions and low sanitization in a way as if we are growing up in a gutter here. Let me assure you, that visiting teams are served quality food in hotels here. They would be getting special attention and their requirements are addressed well. Not everything is governed by law everywhere in the world. Most hotels that receive and entertain guests from outside India understand their requirements. You are bound to face problems food wise when you go abroad irrespective food laws and economic condition of the country. An Indian touring a foreign country (first world) may not get food per his requirement and his body may not respond positively to it. Thats something that you have to put up with. Srinath faced a lot of trouble outside India when he did not get proper non-veg food. Never heard him complain.
Lame ? Dude' date=' **I** am Indian, i have lived in India for years (in the past) and now when i go back, i worry about getting sick from the food - Indians have pretty good immune system as far as food goes - we westerners are used to sanitary conditions in our kitchens, most restaurant cooks/staff dont handle food without hairnets or gloves...meanwhile, in all but the most high quality restaurants in India, the kitchens are cockroach-infested mess....it isnt a 'lame' excuse, it is a genuine concern for people - indian and non-indian- who are used to the santised (some may say over-sanitized) conditions of the western world. You can eat pani-puri on the roadside and not get ill - i could do that in my distant past too - but nowadays, if i go back to India and eat pani-puris from any random roadside panipuri-wallah, i am more than likely to come down with a serious stomach bug.[/quote'] CC, First of all, these guys are professionals. They need to do whatever it takes to avoid digestive problems. If they made a choice to eat pani puri from the street vendor, it is their problem. Second, they used to be treated like royalty in the '80s. There was no reason for them to whine about the food, and use it as an excuse if they didn't perform well. I never really heard Indian vegetarian players complain about not getting good-enough vegetarian food in the UK or Austraila or NZ in the 80s (it is not an issue anymore, of course).
I used to be Indian - i am Canadian now, i have been in Canada for almost 10 years now, before that i was in the middle east. I've spent a total of 8 years of my life in India ( discounting visits every year for 2-3 months at a time) : the first 4 years of my life and then grade 7 to 10 in high school. I didnt say that is what is served to the players - but at the same time, everyone goes out and eats on their own time/free days when they are in someplace new. When you go to switzerland, don't you go eat at a random restaurant someday when you are out sightseeing ? Or do you stick to food served ONLY at your 5-star hotel ? Same applies for us westerners when we visit India or any place else : we like to mingle, we like to take in the local delights, etc etc. Trouble with third world places like India is that there is no quality control for food - there is no such concept as 'if you dont maintain minimum hygenic conditions, the government would shut your shop down'. Therefore, when we end up (naively at first) trying some decent looking (note the word decent, i didnt say 5-star type) restaurant or eat from a fast food joint, we are more than likely to fall sick. And then we go tell our friends/media not to eat out in India unless you are going to eat ONLY at a 5-star restaurant. And then Indians get all p!ssy and offended. If i was told not to eat or drink anywhere outside my 5 star hotel in a country i am visiting, you can bet your bottom dollar that i will have a very low opinion about the food in that country and would advice EVERYONE i know to beware of the food there....i bet you'd do the same too -so why the double standards ? But consider this - you come here and eat in our version of 'dhaabas and roadside restaurants' - like the ma's-n-pa's pizza shops that sell slices by the zillions beside bus stops - you don't get sick. But we go eat at your roadside dhaabas and we get terribly sick. And you blame us for pointing out the obvious- that beware of the food being served in India ? eh ?!? And don't forget - MOST of the illness/complaints about food in India (including the ones made by the locals) is from terrible quality of the water - you can drink straight outta the tap here (not recommended) but it won't kill you or put you in the hospital - whereas in India, even most of the LOCALS won't drink straight outta a tap or tubewell - and yet we are being whiners for pointing out that ?!?
Did anyone take ntice of this derogatory comment against our own counrty. Do we still need people like CC posting here in this forum. @ CC - :finger: You'll one day get food poisoned in a Canadian Restaurant in Canada
You have been using language like ghetto conditions, third world conditions and low sanitization in a way as if we are growing up in a gutter here.
Thats exactly it - don't fight the obvious truth because it hurts your pride: the vast majority of Indians *ARE* growing up in gutter-like conditions.
You are bound to face problems food wise when you go abroad irrespective food laws and economic condition of the country. An Indian touring a foreign country (first world) may not get food per his requirement and his body may not respond positively to it. Thats something that you have to put up with. Srinath faced a lot of trouble outside India when he did not get proper non-veg food. Never heard him complain.
Dude, this is kinda bulldust argument. We arnt talking about food choices here - yes, i will easily grant you that western food (fast food/grill style ) can lack options and be very bland. But the difference is the simple fact that quality of food here is better in certain terms. Like i said, you are far less likely to get food poisoned or have some waterborne/food-borne diesease happening from eating randomly in the west. I am not talking about indigestion stuff- i am talking about running a fever/crappin jelly, etc. etc. kinda stuff. You are seeing this as a status issue ( not surprised- thou art Indian afterall :winky:) but my point is simple: It is a fact that food is a far safer here than in India - in general. Yes, 5 star food is good everywhere, but like i said - when players travel, they eat out too- look at India team, they eat out when they are on tour. In India, such options are low/less visible. People go sight-seeing and want to eat something- in the west, yes you are sometimes stuck with crapfest like McDonalds, but its not going to send you to the hospital. In similar scenarios in India, you end up with average restaurant/dhaaba food. When people go somewhere for months at a time, they tend to travel and take it in - and its not rare that Indian food catches the westerners unawares/makes us sick. I am getting that way too- and its simple question of immunology- my body isnt used to dealing with low quality water & (sometimes) unsanitary food conditions. It tends to lose its ability to resist/recover from marginal food. This is simple matter of difference in lifestyles. Its ironic that you are seeing this as me 'dissing' Indians by pointing out the obvious cause for their discomfort/reason for saying our food is crappy because in some ways, i actually admire the relative robustness of Indians when it comes to food.
Did anyone take ntice of this derogatory comment against our own counrty. Do we still need people like CC posting here in this forum. @ CC - :finger: You'll one day get food poisoned in a Canadian Restaurant in Canada
Oh get over it. Your country isnt some goddess of gold wrapped in silk - there are things to be proud of our country- but also things that we shouldnt try to deny because its not pretty. And one of those is that yes, we are a third world country still - we will be till most of our people arnt living in abject poverty or even relative peace.
CC' date=' I agree the surface was very bumpy, but bipartisan crowd support is a norm in Davis cup matches, I am sure you have watched spain and argentina matches even this year final, it is like a bull ring with supporters being very very vocal almost approaching a soccer game atmosphere.[/quote'] True. But we are talking quite a few years ago : this was late 90s/early 2000s i believe. Tennis was quite a bit more reserved back then - crowd didnt usually banter that much with the players directly or atleast, rarely verbally abused players. Yes, happens all the time now,so now its pointless to whine about it but my point is, that was many moons ago and not that prevalent. That coupled with the terrible playing conditions sent Goran over the edge - and lets be honest, we all love Goran, but a calm person willing to put up with unexpected trouble he isn't.
Thats exactly it - don't fight the obvious truth because it hurts your pride: the vast majority of Indians *ARE* growing up in gutter-like conditions.
Ans why are you even raising it in this thread? This is about teams complaining of problems in India. A part of Indian may be in the gutter, but we dont keep the visiting teams in the gutter. Neither do all of us live in the gutter. You have a sick mind. You have an inferiority complex of your origin and you are just letting it out here.