Run rate knockout? What the FUCK?

Some nonsense taking place during the Ranji quarterfinal between Tamil Nadu & Uttar Pradesh. UP made 258/7 in 50 (Tanmay Srivastava tonned up; keep an eye on him- either he'll make it to the international scene and go the pampered-softcock way of Yuvraj, or really click). TN batted 18 overs to make 63/2, then the match was stopped due to rain. UP advanced based on a "faster scoring rate". The CI scorecard says it was a revised target, which makes no sense whatsoever as you need 20 overs minimum for DL to come into play. I'm not sure what it is for the Jayadevan (which I think they may be using), but I doubt that's also allowing targets to be set in less than 20 overs. However... the CI report says this:

As per the rules, UP proceeded to the next round, based on the superior run rate in earlier matches played.
If that's true, it's a steaming pile of horseshit. Why the fark are UP advancing based on a run rate from the Minno - err, Central Zone group, where they played a bunch of shithouse teams like Vidharba, Rajasthan and MP... while TN get held back due to a lower run rate from the South group, where they actually played some semi-decent teams like Andhra, Hyderabad and Karnataka? [Oh well. Doesn't matter, Mumbai'll whip everyone either way. You're not getting past Jaffer, Amol, Rohit and The Fat Man Who Should be in the WC Squad.]